running dcs on virtual box

Hi everyone,

I am currently trying to run DCS on virtual box (with win7 pro installed) in order to host a server. But everytime i start DCS, it crashes. Here is what the log says:

2018-02-09 05:19:07.087 ERROR DX11BACKEND: DX11Renderer::init() failed - D3D11CreateDevice() returned DXGI_ERROR_UNSUPPORTED

2018-02-09 05:19:07.148 INFO EDCORE: try to write dump information

2018-02-09 05:19:07.148 INFO EDCORE: # -------------- 20180209-051901 --------------

2018-02-09 05:19:07.149 INFO EDCORE: C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\bin\dx11backend.dll

2018-02-09 05:19:07.149 INFO EDCORE: # C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION at EC5AB882 00:00000000

From what i see it is related to DXGI but I dont understand how to fix this.

Does someone knows if we can run dcs on a virtual box? Do you have a solution to my issue?

Ty for your help

As far as i read, i need to "passthrought" gpu to the virtual machine but i have no idea how to do that, infos are very not easy to found

here is info more detailed:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Multi-headed-VMWare-Gaming-Setup-564/

but as a virtual solution requires a GPU and at least 24 GB of RAM (16 for DCS, 8 for the host OS) and also needs a DCS licencse for every paid DLC that you need on your MP missions, I wonder if it wouldnt be better just to use a dedicated PC for this, it could be a used two-three years old gaming PC that isnt too expensive.

Best regards

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

here is info more detailed:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Multi-headed-VMWare-Gaming-Setup-564/

but as a virtual solution requires a GPU and at least 24 GB of RAM (16 for DCS, 8 for the host OS) and also needs a DCS licencse for every paid DLC that you need on your MP missions, I wonder if it wouldnt be better just to use a dedicated PC for this, it could be a used two-three years old gaming PC that isnt too expensive.

Best regards

I dont understand what is the purpose of it. I'm looking for something EASY and with a STEP BY STEP tutorial. By the way it looks like we have to pay for the solution you suggest. I want something FREE. That's why i choose vitual box in first intention. But I dont know how to "passthrough" the gpu.

... I want something FREE ..

OK, sorry I didnt catch that on your original post

... your Server (if you ever get to find a free virtual solution with GPU passtrough), will only be able to host missions with the Su-25T and TF-51, as all the other aircraft are paid modules, and no, you cant use your existing licences (at least not if you intend to participate on the game)

Cheers!

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

... your Server (if you ever get to find a free virtual solution with GPU passtrough), will only be able to host missions with the Su-25T and TF-51,

Not necessarily. As long as the client has the module, the mission on any server can include any airframe.

Win 10 | i7 4770 @ 3.5GHz | 32GB DDR3 | 6 GB GTX1060

OK, sorry I didnt catch that on your original post

... your Server (if you ever get to find a free virtual solution with GPU passtrough), will only be able to host missions with the Su-25T and TF-51, as all the other aircraft are paid modules, and no, you cant use your existing licences (at least not if you intend to participate on the game)

Cheers!

What you are saying doesnt make sense: when i host a dcs mission on my pc, despite i dont have the harrier i can still host a mission with harrier slots and players can join it... Then i dont know what you mean here.

What you are saying doesnt make sense: when i host a dcs mission on my pc, despite i dont have the harrier i can still host a mission with harrier slots and players can join it... Then i dont know what you mean here.

You got me there, I dont have practical experience with DCS Servers (tough I do with VMware ESX Servers) and I remembered having read that the server needed licenses for every DCS Module that it used, but I may be wrong and you may be right :) ... perhaps only the Maps (Nevada & Normandy) need the license.

Edited by Rudel_chw

You got me there, I dont have practical experience with DCS Servers (tough I do with VMware ESX Servers) and I remembered having read that the server needed licenses for every DCS Module that it used, but I may be wrong and you may be right :) ... perhaps only the Maps (Nevada & Normandy) need the license.

how much do you pay for using VMware with through pass gpu? At least if its not that expensive i can go for it may be.

Xen server is also open source and runs somethin like 75% of vm on the internet

I've used virtualbox, vmware and xen, hyperv (microsoft) never tried it.

just my opinion... Attempting a gpu passthrough would not be easy and I would not waste my time on it.

But hey! If you manage to pull it off it would be quite a feat! I use virtualisation a LOT for my work and at home, mostly with xen now.

METEOP

i5-6600K OC@4.5Ghz, GTX 1070 OC, 32Gb RAM, M.2 NVMe SSD

Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pro, Trackhat Clip, 1080p projector, Custom touchscreen rig, Ikarus touchscreen panel, Voice Attack, ReShade, Simshaker Aviator

Just had a thought... If you are running a dcs server, can't you turn off 3drender in the graphics.cfg file? Would this work?

METEOP

i5-6600K OC@4.5Ghz, GTX 1070 OC, 32Gb RAM, M.2 NVMe SSD

Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pro, Trackhat Clip, 1080p projector, Custom touchscreen rig, Ikarus touchscreen panel, Voice Attack, ReShade, Simshaker Aviator

• 2 weeks later...
Hi everyone,

I am currently trying to run DCS on virtual box (with win7 pro installed) in order to host a server. But everytime i start DCS, it crashes. Here is what the log says:

From what i see it is related to DXGI but I dont understand how to fix this.

Does someone knows if we can run dcs on a virtual box? Do you have a solution to my issue?

Ty for your help

My dedicated server run on a virtualbox host. To have access to the gpu (in my case integrated chipset of an i7) i've to run virtualbox from a gnome session graphicaly like that you can enable 3d acceleration in your vm settings then access to the gpu from the vm. It's à free solution. You can remotely connect to a gnome session with solutions like nomachine or vnc.

Edited by xvx45

"Les pilotes du Fail" server administrator

My dedicated server run on a virtualbox host. To have access to the gpu (in my case integrated chipset of an i7) i've to run virtualbox from a gnome session graphicaly like that you can enable 3d acceleration in your vm settings then access to the gpu from the vm. It's à free solution. You can remotely connect to a gnome session with solutions like nomachine or vnc.

What is a gnome session? can you provide a step by step explanation on how to achieve this?

Does this solution could work on a VPS?

Gnome is one of the many Desktops you can use in Linux.

I am not sure if this is the right approach for you if Gnome is unknown to you. I highly assume you will have a steep learning curve if you go that route.

YOu will need to know the basics of linux, which is quite a lot, you should know the basics about virtualization and the specialties of your choosen VM solution. This is anything but trivial if you havent worked with it at all. It is not super complicated, but it wont happen in a day, maybe 2-3 weeks if you really stick to it. Rather count a few more weeks and lots of trial & error.

HyperV: Microsoft VM, included with any 10 Pro iirc. Google if it allows Dx11, i think it does meanwhile

VMware: not free, easiest to use, oldest dog around, my preferred personal solution as it runs on all OS I use, any VM runs on any Host.

XEN: Linux Kernel VM: Never used it tbh, it does make perfect sense in DC's and dense areas. It's free too

VirtualBox: Only played with it some years ago. Back then it was no match to VMware.

Play with each one, VMware has a demo ( VMware Workstation is what you want ), others need the correct OS ( Linux ) installed first.

If you are new to Linux, it may not be adviseable to do it that way, unless you are here for a wild ride, console typing and lots of reading. Many many things will be new to you.

I would test VMware Workstation for a month and then maybe buy it if you like it. It is the Swiss Army knife among all those and highly compatible ( that's what you pay for ) with other

solutions.

There is no step-by-step guide for this, you expect it to be that simple ? It is not tbh. Far too many steps, too many variables. YOu have to acquire the knowldge yourself or better install DCS-SRV on real hardware and wait with VM's until you are more into it. I am using VM's for a very long time, VMware and HyperV solely, and it takes some time to understand the pitfalls and laws.

Edited by BitMaster

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Gnome is one of the many Desktops you can use in Linux.

I am not sure if this is the right approach for you if Gnome is unknown to you. I highly assume you will have a steep learning curve if you go that route.

YOu will need to know the basics of linux, which is quite a lot, you should know the basics about virtualization and the specialties of your choosen VM solution. This is anything but trivial if you havent worked with it at all. It is not super complicated, but it wont happen in a day, maybe 2-3 weeks if you really stick to it. Rather count a few more weeks and lots of trial & error.

HyperV: Microsoft VM, included with any 10 Pro iirc. Google if it allows Dx11, i think it does meanwhile

VMware: not free, easiest to use, oldest dog around, my preferred personal solution as it runs on all OS I use, any VM runs on any Host.

XEN: Linux Kernel VM: Never used it tbh, it does make perfect sense in DC's and dense areas. It's free too

VirtualBox: Only played with it some years ago. Back then it was no match to VMware.

Play with each one, VMware has a demo ( VMware Workstation is what you want ), others need the correct OS ( Linux ) installed first.

If you are new to Linux, it may not be adviseable to do it that way, unless you are here for a wild ride, console typing and lots of reading. Many many things will be new to you.

I would test VMware Workstation for a month and then maybe buy it if you like it. It is the Swiss Army knife among all those and highly compatible ( that's what you pay for ) with other

solutions.

There is no step-by-step guide for this, you expect it to be that simple ? It is not tbh. Far too many steps, too many variables. YOu have to acquire the knowldge yourself or better install DCS-SRV on real hardware and wait with VM's until you are more into it. I am using VM's for a very long time, VMware and HyperV solely, and it takes some time to understand the pitfalls and laws.

Vmware, HyperV and virtualBox are NOT compatible with directx11.

Actually in this thread no VM compatible with directx11 have been reported except a possible VM working with a gnome session. But I'm not going to learn Linux for 3 months and finally realize that this solution is not even compatible with directx11. It won't makes sense at all.

That's why i was looking for further information about it. If you don't know how or are too lazy to answer, just don't post. This topic is already complicated enough.

Oh, how nice you replay back to someone who told you what GNOME is :)

:flowers:

why don't you google DX11 VIRTUAL MACHINES. There is all the info you need to know about DX11, HyperVisors, Metal and OpenGL/CL. Took me 5 minutes to find out.

Edited by BitMaster

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Vmware, HyperV and virtualBox are NOT compatible with directx11.

Capture.PNG

No problems with DX11 on a vbox virtual machine, like I said, if you enable 3D acceleration it work well... If your virtualized OS have access to a compliant GPU, then, virtualized Windows will have a working DX11, no matter of the virtualization software, only important thing is 3D acceleration.

BitMaster is true, there are not any step-to-step to do this result but it is not complicated (this part) :

- Depending of your distribution, install gnome like that : apt-get install ubuntu-gnome-desktop

- For NoMachine (I use it to take remote control on Gnome) : https://www.nomachine.com/all-documents

And this is just a first step. Next steps are a bit more complicated, you'll have to manage network access to/from the virtual machine and that depend of many things (numbers of NICs, possibility to have a secondary IP and so on.

"Les pilotes du Fail" server administrator

Thanks for the info xvx45.

Steve (Slick)

ThrustMaster T.Flight Hotas X | TrackIR5 Pro | EVGA GTX 1070 | Win10 64-bit Professional | Dell Precision 7920 Workstation | 1 TB SSD | 128 GB Memory | Dual Intel Xeon Platinum 2.0 GHz 16 Core Processors (64 Total w/HT ON) | 24" Dell Monitor

Oh, how nice you replay back to someone who told you what GNOME is :)

:flowers:

why don't you google DX11 VIRTUAL MACHINES. There is all the info you need to know about DX11, HyperVisors, Metal and OpenGL/CL. Took me 5 minutes to find out.

This thread is to HELP people who need to run DCS 2.5 on a virtual machine. Then posting here pretending you know everything while actually you have no idea about what you are talking make us lose our time. If you really opened the links provided by your google research, you would know that there is no answer about the compatibility with dx11 and a VM. Thats why i post here to find a solution, then please stop your spam.