Night lighting

Shibbyland

Hi All

Since updating to 2.5 I find I can't see anything at all at night, even with no cloud and a full moon without referencing instruments its impossible to tell which way is up.

I can't see fully lit runways until I'm pretty much at the threshold. I've got gamma set to 2.5 but increasing it doesn't seem to have made any difference.

Does anybody know what else I can do about this? I didn't have any difficulty in version 1.5.

Thanks

It's a general gfx engine problem of all versions featuring Deferred Shading (2.1 and up). I don't think you can do anything about it. Maybe see how things look with DS turned off?

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

it seems, that night lighting is still pretty much WIP.

i hope that the next "bigger" update makes night lighting on par with the great day lighting. i think there is great potential with deferred shading allowing for a huge number of dynamic lights. also the new street lamps on caucasus would be truly fantastic, if only they could be seen from further away...

i really hope that ED is aimign for a level of nightlighting fidelity, that we can see in one particular general aviation sim, that also happens to utilize DS and PBR...

same. it's not so much that night is black, (because it can be with cloud), but things like the HUD shade makes things utterly black to the point where an aircraft beacon is suppressed and natural lighting looks darker instead of a lit object really standing out. Like all lighting is muted.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

I'm pretty sure ED is working on it, not just night lighting, but lighting in general as there are multiple issues currently.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

it seems, that night lighting is still pretty much WIP.

i hope that the next "bigger" update makes night lighting on par with the great day lighting. i think there is great potential with deferred shading allowing for a huge number of dynamic lights. also the new street lamps on caucasus would be truly fantastic, if only they could be seen from further away...

i really hope that ED is aimign for a level of nightlighting fidelity, that we can see in one particular general aviation sim, that also happens to utilize DS and PBR...

+1000

Everything you said was spot on. Night lighting in DCS is my chosen cause to champion. I have tried to bring attention to it several times. I have had issues with it since day one through all iterations. And the issues are even worse now with VR, 2d doesn't suffer from some of it's issues..It is like only getting half the sim world potential with night being so poorly done. I truly hope they focus on this. The world could be so beautiful if done to the standard of the one I am guessing you are referencing. Imagine Vegas/cities/airports/carriers..etc lit up as they could be and should be versus what they are currently if no change is made what Dubai..etc will be when the new content is released. Someone at ED needs to champion a night lighting env overhaul and push for it internally.

PS: Please add dithering to remove banding. :)

Only problem with DS off at night on Caucusus, the sea which used to be dark and left a very clear and sharp coastline is now pink......and those horrible light green trees its like looking at a photographic negative.

I too am pushing for lighting fixes since I do most of my stuff at before dawn or dusk going into nightime.

Judging from many posts on here and Hoggit, these low in the sky Sun times seem to be the most popular, at least in SP.

Night time lighting is the number one fix in my book. 2.2 used to suffer from dim A10C cockpit floodlights and taxi lights, but the general terrain was unnaffected, albeit moonlight was very muted.

Now you cannot hardly even see the stars on a clear night.

Some change in 2.5 has broken everything, I think they need to roll back the lighting on NTTR and Normandy until they come up with an across the board fix.

Shame because it seemed to have so much promise. Quite a few devs have had 2.5 for months in testing. Why wasn't this picked up....unless it was and it's not an easy fix.

Thinking of downloading 2.1 again, but for me thats a 24 hr download.....

Edited by Tinkickef

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

Gamma at 2.0 and night lighting is a mess at the moment, imho.

Way too dark and cockpit and floor lighting is too weak / too dark.

Hope this gets some attention...

Screen_180208_222718.png.94287a507cc2a265ffa3eb15d639ef76.png

Ryzen 5800XD - 32GB RAM - Sapphire RX 7900 XTX - VKB Stuff + MFG Crosswind Pedals

Homebase: Southwest Germany 🇩🇪

I've tried fiddling with the gamma settings but it makes no difference for me. The only improvement I get is if I turn deferred shading off but then the sim loses a lot of its beauty for all the day flights. At this stage I'm just not doing any night missions which is a shame as the A10 campaigns I play have a lot of night in them.

Hi All

Since updating to 2.5 I find I can't see anything at all at night, even with no cloud and a full moon without referencing instruments its impossible to tell which way is up.

I can't see fully lit runways until I'm pretty much at the threshold. I've got gamma set to 2.5 but increasing it doesn't seem to have made any difference.

Does anybody know what else I can do about this? I didn't have any difficulty in version 1.5.

Thanks

Here's what it looks like at night under a full moon (more or less--the video doesn't quite show it exactly--it's actually a bit crisper). I have my monitor contrast and brightness dialed back. And gamma pushed to 3. (I normally have gamma set to 2.2 with my monitor settings for daytime flight.) With no moon, the world is understandably darker.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

As much as I love DCS 2.5, [night] lighting is still broken. Having to mess with deferred/gamma settings depending on which type of mission you're fliying is weird.

During daytime, it looks gorgeous; but at night...it's like there's a blackout in the whole Caucasus. Cities look dead from the distance; as you get closer, you can see there are actual street lights and everything, but they are way too dim and fade out soooo quickly as you get away.

Same thing goes for runway lighting and position/nav lights; I it's an old issue this lighting thing I guess...it's been in the forums forever :) one way or another.

I hope it gets better in time (I'm pretty sure it will, but better sooner than later). I'd like to see night city lights on DCS as they look on that other GA/civil sim; that would be awesome. Maybe some day.

Per a Wags comment on a YT vid and supported by Sith on Hoggit it seems they are looking to address the night time lighting issues.....hopefully to improve and not just restore to previous functionality....which was in serious need of overhauling prior to 2.5 and it's newly introduced issues as it stood. If they can achieve close to the GA sim you are referencing achieves in their night lighting that is yet to be seen. But dangit I sure hope so. Be so nice if so. If they can do it why can't ED..ya know :)

Yep, let's hope it's fixed soon.

Attachment from F-5E Hercules mission. When I did find the light switches, most of them didn't work, including flood.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Mainboard: ASUS Maximus X Hero Intel Z 370

CPU: Intel Core i7-8086K @ 4.0 GHz

Memory: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-3000

Graphics Card: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Monitor ASUS PA 329 32" @ 4K

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 256 GB

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 4 TB

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

CH Pro combatstick, throttle and pedals

Yep, I agree. 2.5 Terrain looks great with DS on, but the cockpits are better with HDR and DS off. Light blending and subtlety in cockpits is completely missing in the overly dark and light shaded pits with DS on.

I’m sure we’ll get improvements soon.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Agreed. Night vision sucks even with NVGs and FLIR. Night flying under these conditions is useless. Don't bother with night flying until it's corrected. I can't even set cockpit switches on the ramp without positive feedback I set them correctly.

Rig: i7-7700K, ASUS Strix Z270E mb, EVGA 1080GTX, 16GB DDR4 3000, Samsung 960 EVO M2.1 TB SSD, Corsair Hydro Cooler H115i, Win 10 64

Yeah... This is how Nellis AFB and Las Vegas look at night (01:00 AM, clear weather, graphic settings maxed out with deferred shading on):

RWY 21 with city behind (you must believe me ;) )

eq3729.jpg

Airbase and city from high above - top view is even worse.

308e9om.jpg

Lights are seen when you are really close to them...

Edited by Poko24

Guys are the landing lighting for ships working I can't see anyway to get the ships to put their lights on?

I have never seen ships lit up like you would expect them to be. They seem to operate in blackout mode as if lights do not exist for them. Which I am guessing they don't.

• 2 weeks later...
Why don't the fields have the rotating green/white beacon.

I have wondered about that too.

Civilian airfields in the US have a White - Green rotating beacon , generally on the highest point on the airfield. Either the ATC tower or the water tower if they have one.

Military Airfields have a rotating beacon as well but it's White - White - Green.

Edit - corrected spelling rotating Bacon Nom nom nom