NVG Occupy Full Screen in VR

HuggyBear

The NVG image occupies the full screen rendered in the Rift.

This provides an excessive FOV (haven't measured but seems to be greater than RL 40 degree FOV rendered by NVG) and also prevents me from easily reading the aircraft gauges and screens, which would normally be read by looking 'under' the NVGs.

- Bear

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

- Robert A. Heinlein

The NVG image occupies the full screen rendered in the Rift.

This provides an excessive FOV (haven't measured but seems to be greater than RL 40 degree FOV rendered by NVG) and also prevents me from easily reading the aircraft gauges and screens, which would normally be read by looking 'under' the NVGs.

- Bear

+1, but probably difficult to get that depth effect...

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Yeah this makes the new implimentation of NVGs almost useless in VR as you can't read any of gauges without turning them off... :/

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

+1 Should be an easy enough fix, just make the fov a bit smaller so we can peek underneath

Hehe.. without any knowledge of how the VR NVG system setup works currently I think its a bit difficult to come to a conclusion on how easy a fix it would be. You have the issue of using zoom to read MFDs etc.. you'll zoom into the centre of the view so the area you'll me "peeking" to will no longer be visible... placing you in the exact same situation as we are in now :/

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Hehe.. without any knowledge of how the VR NVG system setup works currently I think its a bit difficult to come to a conclusion on how easy a fix it would be. You have the issue of using zoom to read MFDs etc.. you'll zoom into the centre of the view so the area you'll me "peeking" to will no longer be visible... placing you in the exact same situation as we are in now :/

Actually it’s really simple. The new NVG system is identical to Frenchy’s mod and it’s just a couple lines in the code that dictate how big the NVG’s take up on the screen. You just need to add a slider to scale it in the options menu which will be more difficult. But the actual size change is relatively easy.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just found this in a seperate thread. Might be useful to some.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3394085&postcount=13

Proud owner of:

• 2 weeks later...

Btw, it is totally not possible to read the gauges in NVG mode..true

But with NVG, it is also no longer possible to use your Brrrrrt gun either.

The HUD in NVG mode is ONE BIG BLURRY square. Impposible to "see" your target.

And yes, this was possible in 2.2.1............. :shocking:

Dell XPS 8700: 28" DELL S2817Q 3840pi, i7-4790 3.6 GHz, 16 GB RAM, RTX 2070 Super, Windows 10, SSD 1 TB, HDD 2 TB + 32 GB SSD, TM HOTAS, Oculus Rift S.

Repetition is the Mother of All Skills:matrix:

[sIGPIC]<a href="http://www.flyfighterjet.com/" target="_blank"></a>[/sIGPIC]

Btw, it is totally not possible to read the gauges in NVG mode..true

But with NVG, it is also no longer possible to use your Brrrrrt gun either.

The HUD in NVG mode is ONE BIG BLURRY square. Impposible to "see" your target.

And yes, this was possible in 2.2.1............. :shocking:

Dont use night mode and it works, at least with DS on.

i9 9900k, 64 Go RAM, RTX 4090, Warthog HOTAS Throttle & Stick, Saitek Combat Rudder, MFD Cougar, Trackir 5 Pro, Multipurpose UFC and Oculus Rift S (when I want some VR),

http://www.twitch.tv/zarma4074 /  https://www.youtube.com/user/Zarma4074 

Copy-of-DCS-A-10C-User-Bar-CMR-ConvertImage.jpg

...this is how NVG actually work in real life, you won't be able to read your gauges bc it's range is set to the far distance for what you're looking out of your canopy out at.

Not a bug, just realistic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

• 3 weeks later...
Second that: even comms menus aren't visible with NVG on now...

+1 No menus of any kind, or subtitles, or kneeboards.

I ended up here after an AV-8B night mission in NTTR which included low level flying and was almost impossible as to see any gauges I had to remove my NVG (due to them occupying the whole FoV in VR) which made avoiding mountains pretty tricky, so I ended up in this NVG on/NVG off dance.

Let's lower the FoV on the NGV effect so we can 'look under' the monocular to read gauges.

Devils Canyon i7 4790K @ 4.9GHz |16gb DDR3 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080Ti | Samsung 860 EVO

Thrustmaster Warthog | Virpil WarBRD | Virpil TM-50CM2 Grip | VKB-Sim T-Rudder Mk.IV | Acer X34A (21:9) | Oculus Rift S

A-10C | AJS-37 | AV-8B | C-101 | F/A-18C | F-14A/B | F-5E | KA-50 | L-39 | M-2000C | SA342 | Spitfire LF Mk IX | UH-1H

• 6 months later...
...this is how NVG actually work in real life, you won't be able to read your gauges bc it's range is set to the far distance for what you're looking out of your canopy out at.

I flew 90% at night and these NVGs, in VR at least, are not realistic. They lack adjustment. There needs to be a setting for the goggle adjustment fore and aft, and up and down.

I never used monocular style, but the binocular style as an aircrew man on CH-46s. In the back we want them up tight. We're looking out for traffic and landing hazards, and generally anything else you need see in the dark for.

Up front there are two sets of eyes. and they adjust them for their particular style. What they're comfortable with and what they need them for. I don't want to get detailed about it.

Now I do like how the picture gets grainy and pixel sparks as the sky gets darker. That is a very realistic effect. The amplification could be toned down a bit, but not so much as to make them useless.

MFDs need to be dimmer.

Much dimmer for NVGs.

I haven't been able to get Frenchy's NVG mod to work, but the pic on his site look to have a very realistic feel to them.

I am a big +1 for NVG love in the near future.

Night Ops in the Harrier

IYAOYAS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry but in reality the NVG's for pilots are set so that you can read everything under them. While the HUD was the primary flight instrument we would always set the green lights so you could read all the instruments plus you need to see the radar display .

This problem has been reported repeatedly but I guess because the fov in VR is different from " screen play" it appears to be difficult for ED to fix.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...

+1

I'm currently just using Frenchy's NVG Mod. Small Config change ED could make and everybody would be good to go.

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

• 1 year later...

I can't get this NVG mod to work in my G2 headset in the latest Open.Beta. Followed the instructions. Anybody else using this mod in VR?

I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina     |   Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel   

Come check out the 132nd Virtual Wing                                   |   My 4090 VR Performance Optimization  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Varjo Aero, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC Control Panel #2, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL (currently broken), OpenKneeboard, Wacom Intuos.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

5 hours ago, Ready_ENP said:

I can't get this NVG mod to work in my G2 headset in the latest Open.Beta. Followed the instructions. Anybody else using this mod in VR?

There are other mods providing same features. I use my mod to size NVG.

P8700K @4.8 GHz, 3080ti, 32 GB RAM, HP reverb Pro.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

Yes I put the mod in the wrong folder. It must be in the DCS core folder, not in saved games. It works now. I am now just looking for a configuration that resembles some sort of reality. I would like to have large circles and still be able to look at the instruments from under the NVG. Anybody got something working like that?

I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina     |   Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel   

Come check out the 132nd Virtual Wing                                   |   My 4090 VR Performance Optimization  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Varjo Aero, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC Control Panel #2, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL (currently broken), OpenKneeboard, Wacom Intuos.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

12 hours ago, lefuneste01 said:

There are other mods providing same features. I use my mod to size NVG.

Which mods? Animoto? Am thinking of checking it out.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

Yes 3dmigoto is what I meant. Thanks, will give it a try.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

• 4 months later...

Still this is happening and we do not have an option to make smaller the view in NVG. We can go to the mod community, but sometimes breaks IC, others are broken as now with shaders changes, and others are not good enough for us (for me Migoto is ok, but it has lots of features I don't want to install. In any case is broken right now until there is an update with latest shaders changes.

@BIGNEWYcan you please translate this option change to the team, please? Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/18/2022 at 4:02 PM, Japo32 said:

Still this is happening and we do not have an option to make smaller the view in NVG. We can go to the mod community, but sometimes breaks IC, others are broken as now with shaders changes, and others are not good enough for us (for me Migoto is ok, but it has lots of features I don't want to install. In any case is broken right now until there is an update with latest shaders changes.

@BIGNEWYcan you please translate this option change to the team, please? Thanks!

Yes, all my mods to make smaller and realistic view in NVG with virtual reality gogles doesn't work now. 😕 Waiting for a solution... 🥺