Auto Hover 2.5

Erk104

Auto hover works. Could you please send a track? Let's see what you're doing wrong.

Because auto hover enables in certain conditions. Watch your vertical and horizontal speed. I don't want to be a smart a$$ but, if you don't know what I'm talking about, I suggest you to read the manual.

See you. :)

Edited by Devrim

i7-2600 @3.4GHz | Corsair 16GB @1600MHz. | MSI GTX1660Ti Gaming X | Samsung 256GB SSD (Win10HPx64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

The auto hover is working fine, but sometimes it is tricky to engage it.

Set the NADIR so it displays your ground speed (TERRE on the lower and V.S./ DER. on the upper dial).

You can only engage the Auto Hover when ground speed is below 16km/h, vertical speed is almost zero and pitch/bank angles are not excessive.

If you turn the artificial horizon knob (ART./ VIS /VHF/ DOP) to the DOP position, it will give you a nice hover assist.

The knob is located on the right side of the instrument panel, above the battery, alternator and generator switches.

- Changed the ART/VIS/VHF/DOP selector function when in DOP position

Now in DOP position the vertical and horizontal bars of the main horizon will show respectively the lateral and longitudinal speeds of the helicopter.

SA-342M Gazelle » Gazelle change log 11/20/2017

I have had some trouble with the auto hover lately (it was impossible to engage it with the assigned keyboard and joystick inputs, even though the ground speed was close to zero, and the vertical velocity and bank angle was within spec), but re-doing all my SA342 control assignments fixed it.

I have had some trouble with the auto hover lately (it was impossible to engage it with the assigned keyboard and joystick inputs, even though the ground speed was close to zero, and the vertical velocity and bank angle was within spec), but re-doing all my SA342 control assignments fixed it.

:thumbup:

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Gainward Phantom GS RTX 3080 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds | DCS PD 1.0 / Steam VR SS 170%

I will take another look at it. I haven't flown the gazelle in several months. I felt I was fairly confident with it in the past... I will give it another shot and scrutinize my hover and vertical speeds a bit more closely... If I continue to have problems I will post a track.thumbup.gif

I cannot get auto hover to work... The default key bind is Q and I have it mapped to my hotas. However during this flight I tried numerous times to get the auto hover to engage and it does not. Please help!!!

As I use a force feedback stick, there is no guarantee your track played correctly but at no time did I see the helicopter stable.

In the 1 min 40 sec track I watched, the ADI 'DOP' mode wasn't turned on to assist monitoring lateral/longitudinal drift and the vertical velocity on the VVI wasn't stabilised near 0 m/s.

Auto hover will hold an established hover, with close to zero drift and zero ascent/descent.

attachment.php?attachmentid=179079&stc=1&d=1518586473

It won't engage if there is any significant drift or vertical velocity.

It is easier to establish a stable hover closer to the ground where there are good visual clues for drift, etc. in the track I watched, the helicopter ended up at 300 m (1000 ft), where I would use the ADI DOP mode to confirm zero drift before trying to engage auto hover..

I attach a track of a pickup and 3.5m AGL auto hover check at Batumi.

Edit:

Note - As I suspected, I needed to disable Force Feedback in "DCS/Options/Misc" to see your track (and joystick inputs) play correctly (a low level hover over the taxiway) , so to watch my track - "DCS/Options/Misc: Force Feedback" probably needs to be temporarily enabled.

I didn't see anything obviously wrong in your track but hopefully setting ADI 'DOP' mode will help

7126385_TacviewSA342AutohoverissueErk104-20180213_trk.thumb.JPG.46d3145780cdb436a81fb34a63b17375.JPG

1362633697_TacviewSA342PickupandAutohover-20180214_trk.thumb.JPG.0f8a88700c2b1040e0995ac61cf2e54b.JPG

258284849_AutohoverCheckScreen_180214_051303.jpg.59b4a80efed3815365a29b244c68bd5c.jpg

Edited by Ramsay
Add annotated picture of stable auto hover, spelling, replay Erk401's track with FFB off

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

I cannot get auto hover to work... The default key bind is Q and I have it mapped to my hotas. However during this flight I tried numerous times to get the auto hover to engage and it does not. Please help!!!

That's interesting. I watched it. Even if you stabilize the Gazelle, autohover doesn't engage.

But, What more interesting is that if I take controls at the begining of the track, I can engage hover. And I say, "Hover works." but if I wait a while and then take controls, I can't engage hover either. That's weird.

I uploaded my track Erk. Watch it. See how I engage hover. If you see with no problem, take controls and try it in same track. I'm curious what will be happened.

See you.

TestHover.trk

i7-2600 @3.4GHz | Corsair 16GB @1600MHz. | MSI GTX1660Ti Gaming X | Samsung 256GB SSD (Win10HPx64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5

That's interesting. I watched it. Even if you stabilize the Gazelle, autohover doesn't engage.

But, What more interesting is that if I take controls at the begining of the track, I can engage hover. And I say, "Hover works." but if I wait a while and then take controls, I can't engage hover either. That's weird.

You can have similar behaviour where the Fuel Flow Control lever [PgUp/PgDn] has been assigned to a joystick axis that is spiky/non-zero.

Just as the Gazelle engine start cycle won't start if the Fuel Flow lever isn't at 0%

So Auto hover won't engage (or disengages) if the Fuel Flow lever isn't at 100%

Perhaps the OP is suffering from that?

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

AAh! I remember that issue. Yea, you're right.

I assigned the Flow Controller on a rotary and set parameters as in the image (attached).

Maybe that's why I see no problem with Autopilot & hovering.

Screen_180215_020508.jpg.2fcd2714fa5348e47a3c9cffbbf587eb.jpg

• Thanks 1

Ok great job Devrim and Ramsay your talking it out did it. The problem is with the axis assignments. I completely removed the axis assignments from the fuel control lever and the Auto Hover now works. thumbup.gif

However I would think though this might be something a gazelle pilot would want to map to an axis. Do you know if there is an adjustment that can assure 100% on the Fuel Control Lever? or might this be a bug with the system? or maybe a bug with the joystick... is there anyone else who has mapped their fuel control lever to an axis who can still use auto hover?

If its a joystick problem that's understandable. I own the Saitek X-56 I have never had issues with any of the controls before with this stick.

Thanks again for your help... and the great support. I uploaded a new track file with my success.

20180214.trk

... or maybe a bug with the joystick... is there anyone else who has mapped their fuel control lever to an axis who can still use auto hover?

Yes, there are people who assign an axis to the Fuel Control lever - see Devrim's axis profile above.

If its a joystick problem that's understandable. I own the Saitek X-56 I have never had issues with any of the controls before with this stick.

Most joysticks have an input filter to smooth out the electrical input signal, unfortunately Saitek decided to removed it from their newer joysticks. IIRC removing the filter reduces lag 1-2 ms but also makes it possible for a stray 0 value among all the 1's and 0's - it's also cheaper to make.

Most software isn't effected by a stray value that is quickly corrected a couple of milliseconds later.

Unfortunately, the Hawk (hydraulics) and the Gazelle (Fuel lever micro switches ?) are two modules that are.

Edited by Ramsay

Noticed a problem with the auto hover that seems to pop quite randomly. The auto hover isn't able to keep the helicopter stable in hover. As soon as it's engaged, the helicopter point the nose toward the ground and move foward (but keep the altitude)

Note that i double checked with the graphic with R CTRL ENT, the hover is engaged.

Quite problematic when you're alone in the Gazelle and want to switch to the co pilot seat to shoot ...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Noticed a problem with the auto hover that seems to pop quite randomly. The auto hover isn't able to keep the helicopter stable in hover. As soon as it's engaged, the helicopter point the nose toward the ground and move foward (but keep the altitude)...
I've seen this only Erk's track. Because (because of fuel lever) Autopilot system wasn't wroking healthy.

Check your GYRO and Autopilot Channels Panel.

Or, if you say they're OK, I'd like you to upload a track here, please.

I've seen this only Erk's track. Because (because of fuel lever) Autopilot system wasn't wroking healthy.

Check your GYRO and Autopilot Channels Panel.

Or, if you say they're OK, I'd like you to upload a track here, please.

It happened during a 2h fight mission so might be difficult to find it. However next time that it's happen i'll make sure to save the moment, and check the fuel lever. Thx for the quick response.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 months later...

2.5.0 release, auto hover pb

Today, in MP, starting with Gazelle hot, swich the camera on, then take off... I can't auto hover. We were two in mission and my friend can auto hover.... Gyro and Auto pilot are on and ok.

I retry with another Gazelle cold .... same mission in MP, I can't.

I restart DCS and do the same mission in SP... auto hover ok... I do makje more tests but there's sometime a problem with auto hover, perhaps due to switch the camera on.

Sunski

I did that now and it's ok thank you. Ok on 2.5.1 update 1 OB. I think it's the same in release version.

:thumbup::thumbup:

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
Auto hover appears to not work at all. I have tried to engage when in single pilot mode both in Multiplayer and in Single player mode.

Any help would be appreciated maybe its something I am doing wrong!!! cry.gif

SAME PROBLEM :(

Always happy landings ;)

Auto hover working as always here.

JEinc1l.jpg

nyvh83n.jpg

Be sure you are meeting the parameters to enter autohover

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4