AN/ALQ-184 Long

Kippy

11 minutes ago, Northstar98 said:

Yes that's probably how it works.

Though in DCS that ECM flag is for noise jamming (though not sure what happens with regard to track breaking on the F-16CM and F/A-18C) and is fairly consistent across all modules (with only a couple of exceptions).

To the best of my knowledge, there is no noise jamming inherent to the ECM flag. It's just a boolean value for the transmitting aircraft, that is set to true/on or false/off. It has no other attributes. This flag can then be accessed by other aircraft through the API to check its status.

On the recieving side developers of modules can make of this ECM status flag what they want when they implement effects for incomming jamming for their aircraft. They can treat it like noise jamming, treat it like track breaking, treat it like pseudo deception jamming or just ignore it by not implementing any effects at all. It is true though, that most DCS modules, with the exception of the Mirage (don't know about the JF17), treat it as some sort of noise jamming (as well as IFF denial), but this is entirely on the recieving side. on the transmitting side there are not attributes associated with ECM beyond ON or OFF.

Edited by QuiGon
Improved wording for clarity

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Just now, QuiGon said:

There is no noise jamming inherent to the ECM flag. It's just a boolean value set to true. It has no other attributes.
Developers of modules can make of it what they want when they implement effects for incomming jamming for their modules. They can treat it like noise jamming, treat it like track breaking, treat it like pseudo deception jamming or just ignore it by not implementing any effects at all. It is true though, that most DCS modules, with the exception of the Mirage (don't know about the JF17), treat it as some sort of noise jamming, but this is entirely on the recieving side. on the transmitting side there are not attributes associated with ECM beyond ON or OFF.

Yes, I guess the word I should've used is that it gets treated as noise jamming.

Though the Mirage 2000C treats it as noise jamming in search modes (HFR/BFR) just doesn't in STT (PSIC).

But yes, nothing fancy is being done on the transmit side and it's just a flag (and I'm guessing the reason for that is because only the Mirage goes into enough detail to simulate it properly, i.e actually doing some form of signal processing). Jamming modelling and RADAR modelling are contingent on each other, and you can't increase the fidelity in one, without increasing the fidelity in the other.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

16 minutes ago, Northstar98 said:

Yes, I guess the word I should've used is that it gets treated as noise jamming.

Though the Mirage 2000C treats it as noise jamming in search modes (HFR/BFR) just doesn't in STT (PSIC).

But yes, nothing fancy is being done on the transmit side and it's just a flag (and I'm guessing the reason for that is because only the Mirage goes into enough detail to simulate it properly, i.e actually doing some form of signal processing). Jamming modelling and RADAR modelling are contingent on each other, and you can't increase the fidelity in one, without increasing the fidelity in the other.

It's a core design issue, as this is how ECM was implemented years or even decades ago in EDs flight sims, when they were much less sophisticated than DCS is today. It needs to be reworked completely and it needs to be on the transmitting side, where the type of jamming should bet set, not on the recieving side as it is now.
There are some indicators though, that ED might rework ECM as a whole this year. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

(Unfortunately ED never ever commented on the specifics of how ECM works in DCS, so this all is just my own guess of how it is and I might be wrong, but all the indicators I have seem to support this)

Edited by QuiGon
  • Like 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, Dragan said:

Hi, I hope the topic is not outdated, can someone explain to me how to add when I download an / alq-184 to my version of dcs a-10c ??

The AN/ALQ-184(V) long isn't present on the A-10C yet.

You can however add AN/ALQ-131 and AN/ALQ-184(V) short to the stations closest to the wingtips (stations 1 and 11), under 'pods'.

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

40 minutes ago, Dragan said:

Thanks for the quick reply, I downloaded the file from AN / ALQ-184, I just don't know how to add it to which folder to put it in ?

Please for the procedure...

downloaded the file? there is nothing to download.  ingame u can press Lalt+; and select what you want per stores on the plane.  as for the procedures here are some links.

and imo i would stay away from any mods, people tend to download mods then when a update comes out; complain about their game not working blaming ED.

for the a10c

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-uSpZROuEd3NHp0SHZoTGpnUDA/view?usp=sharing&resourcekey=0-APqa4u4xS_v64kjM5f2jZA

Intel i9-9900K 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080tiftw3, Windows 10, 1tb 970 M2, TM Warthog, 4k 144hz HDR g-sync.

5 hours ago, Dragan said:

I would use it, I don't know where I can download it and whether it's free and whether it can be upgraded to this already existing DCS A-10C

All base clients are free, and once you've bought the module it can be used in any supported version.

As for downloading it, here's the link.

Though make sure your system conforms to the requirements, they are listed at the top.

Edited by Northstar98

System:

• 3 months later...

Bit of fun for the A10C if you want to fly with the Long, I can get it on the plane and load in the inventory but as yet not working as a Jammer.

ALQ184-Long.jpg

Open your mission with notepad++ and use the weapon name "ALQ_184_Long" on pylon 1 as in the picture below. I messed about with it in a mission from Iron Flag

ALQ184 Long Mission Lua.jpg

ALQ184Long Inventory.jpg

Mission Editor sees it to

ALQ184Long Mission Editor.jpg

Hopefully it wont be too long before its implemented by ED

Asus Dark Hero X570, AMD 5800x Oc to 5ghz on 2 cores, RX6900XT Reference Oc to 2700mhz+MPT, All on Custom Water Loop, 3600 CL15 XMP, 2xCrucial P5P 1T M2, Hotas Warthog, Reverb G2,

Latest DCS Open Beta and VR only

A10CII and AH64D, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Marianas, Caucasus 

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/3/2022 at 9:41 AM, Scoop said:

Bit of fun for the A10C if you want to fly with the Long, I can get it on the plane and load in the inventory but as yet not working as a Jammer.

ALQ184-Long.jpg

Open your mission with notepad++ and use the weapon name "ALQ_184_Long" on pylon 1 as in the picture below. I messed about with it in a mission from Iron Flag

ALQ184 Long Mission Lua.jpg

ALQ184Long Inventory.jpg

Mission Editor sees it to

ALQ184Long Mission Editor.jpg

Hopefully it wont be too long before its implemented by ED

You've got a year at best, minimum.