GF 7950 GT 512 mb

Alfa

Hi,

I am thinking about replacing of my old GF 6600GT with a 7950GT card(from either ASUS or BFG) - I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with this card type?.

It seems to be a good powerful card for the price(?).

JJ

Hi,

I am thinking about replacing of my old GF 6600GT with a 7950GT card(from either ASUS or BFG) - I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with this card type?.

It seems to be a good powerful card for the price(?).

I've got one - I replaced an X800XL with it.

Seems the limiting factor is still my CPU in Lomac, but otherwise it's handling almost everything I can throw at it. Half-Life 2 and Far Cry are both maxed out, FEAR needed to be turned down a bit.

It's definitely worth looking at, but the Nvidia drivers and shadow bugs are beginning to annoy me. And I have a sneaking suspicion that ATI may prove cheaper.

Compare the cost with a similar speed ATI card (think the X1950 Pro is the closest in performance terms), and see what comes out on top.

Performance bracket seems good for the moment, though. The 8800GTX is way too expensive, and the GTS model is still up there.

You'll certainly notice the difference over a 6600GT . . . . grin.

Thanks Britglider :) .

Apart from being able to get it at a price that isn't much more than I paid for my old 6600GT, the thing is that I always had a weird problem with a boot-up error message concerning the 6600GT card - I suspect the reason is that the system board doesn't like the 6600GT card drawing its power directly via the board rather than from a seperate power cord.....the PSU is powerful enough(400W) and it doesn't cause any actual problem(the card works fine), but it is just annoying to have that boot-up error message(+ warning LED on front panel of the case)......and having to regulary empty the setup error log :D .

So apart from getting a more capable card with more RAM(the 6600GT only has 128 mb), it is just as much to satisfy my curiosity to see if getting a card with separate power connector will fix the above issue :) .

I am somewhat partial to Nvidia, but I will take your advice and look at some ATI cards as well :)

Cheers,

JJ

I suggest you get the MSI 7900GTO card - it's virtually the same card as 7900GTX, except for the lower frequency of ram/gpu, but they OC better than 7900GTX. The price should be lower than that of 7950GT or the same.

Thanks suntrace1 :)

To get the best price I need to purchase the card from my usual supplier(for my little company) and I couldn't find any cards from that manufacturer at their web shop.

Anyway, IMO the 7950GT is very reasonably priced - I just don't want to pay twice as much for an 8800GTX...not to mention having to buy a new PSU for the purpose :) .

JJ

I believe you already know about the problem ruggbutt mentioned, so I will skip ATI's solutions, if you prefer nVidia.

I just wanted to add, if your supplier has a 8800GTS card with 320MB of RAM - they are much cheaper, around 320€ and will kick 7950GT's butt, even with less memory. Not to mention they are DX10 and 7950GT is DX9. Here's a link to HardOCP test to:

7950GT

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTI4MCwxMywsaGVudGh1c2lhc3Q=

and 8800GTS 320MB

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTI4MSwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

mt-2003-sun-corona.jpg

Thanks guys.

Hehe yes I know about the full shadow problem Ruggbutt ;) .

I just wanted to add, if your supplier has a 8800GTS card with 320MB of RAM - they are much cheaper, around 320€ and will kick 7950GT's butt, even with less memory.

Yeah I did come across that card - it was roughly the same price(about $30 difference) as the 7950GT, so maybe I should consider that instead :hmm:

Not to mention they are DX10 and 7950GT is DX9.

Ah but I just need the new card to last me a year or so(to extend the life-span of my current system), so this is not really an issue :)

JJ