Lock On with Vista

For many people LockOn FC and TrackIR work, at least in the 32 bit version.

From what I know you have to install LO as Administrator (and possibly start it as Admin as well, I'm not sure about this) and get an update for Starf0rce from their site. TrackIR simply works as far as I know.

The X-52 does work, there is a Vista driver. SST however does not, either the profile editor crashes or you get some message about your profile files containing no valid profile.

I havent checked other planes, but I had most of the HUD and cockpit textures (saw right through em) missing for the Su-25T, unless I looked at my wing.

But I think this is an nVidia driver problem.

And so far, I have yet to see anything in Vista that XP doesnt have. I turn all of the visual stuff off since I want all the performance I can, and it looks just like Win98 back in the day.

Vista

Most of what I have found out with Vista is it works with some systems and others have issues. There are still driver issues with Navida cards. Amd/ati ccc problems for some. Out of all I have read and it has been substantial to say the least, the overall recommendation for gamers is to wait at least till SP1. Some time in July I do believe. Another point of view was if it will do little for what you want then why upgrade at this time. Note: at this time. I also understand that Creative is having issue with their sound cards, beta drivers only and still issues to resolve. Onboard for some cards I can't say. I know that some onboard cards in 7.1 are said to be very good if not better than the Creative high end and less drain on CPU. I personely will wait until I have to upgrade to vista. I don't see any Combat flight sims. ready for dx10 in any numbers yet. So to sum it all up, WAIT is the recommended choice. At least till SP1. Then evaluate it from there. My 2 cents. Cheers.

yea wait for at least the SP1 comes out because if its having problems with nivida drivers, that's a big sign to wait. I dunno, vista seems kinda dissapointing. I just like it due to its looks that's why i got the vista theme for xp, but even that is giving me problems lol.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i have vista 64 bits, amd x2 4800+, 2 gb ram, nvidia 8800 gtx, dx10

For my self, i install lock on at first no problem, running

After i try to install flaming cliff add on (gold version), but

star force say want install a driver and reboot, at restart,

vista reject it because, it want absolutly signed driver,

i must uninstall FC.

I keep hearing so much about driver problems with Vista, it's pretty much ridiculous. Personally I haven't had any, apart from the SST software problem. But if so many people complain, there must be something to it.

What in the name of all that is holy happened there? Pre beta developer editions of Vista have been available for a long, LONG time before the final release. What have companies like Creative or Nvidia (no less!) been doing all the time?

On topic again, I second the recommendation to wait before upgrading, even if you have a good chance that LO will work. Because there's simply no point. You get to spend a few hundered bucks and your computer will most likely feel like it's 1-2 years older. That's about it at the moment.

with nvidia, i don t have probleme with my 8800 gtx, must download the last version on nvidia driver, perfect.

For creative, i have error messageat stop machine for my audigy card.

i dont regret to install vista, i was before on window 3.1, 95,98,XP,XP Pro, XP Pro 64, now vista,

but i have also a second pc on XP i know what upgrade mean.

Most important of my game software are running correctly, only a small part of them look not ok.

Most of what I have found out with Vista is it works with some systems and others have issues. There are still driver issues with Navida cards. Amd/ati ccc problems for some. Out of all I have read and it has been substantial to say the least, the overall recommendation for gamers is to wait at least till SP1. Some time in July I do believe. Another point of view was if it will do little for what you want then why upgrade at this time. Note: at this time. I also understand that Creative is having issue with their sound cards, beta drivers only and still issues to resolve. Onboard for some cards I can't say. I know that some onboard cards in 7.1 are said to be very good if not better than the Creative high end and less drain on CPU. I personely will wait until I have to upgrade to vista. I don't see any Combat flight sims. ready for dx10 in any numbers yet. So to sum it all up, WAIT is the recommended choice. At least till SP1. Then evaluate it from there. My 2 cents. Cheers.

If you have to choose for between Vista and XP for gaming it is certainly XP. I do not think that is really surprising at all. Good drivers are not yet ready for most Video and Audio hardware under Vista. They are still beta. That being said if you can evaluate it now without losing XP (dual boot etc) do it. It is very good experience to learn the in's and out's of this OS hands on right now! It is going to be what most of us will be using within a year or so anyway for gaming. I personally think I will be comfortably gaming on it well before SP1 because as I mentioned before the OS is stable. The Nvidia drivers and Creative drivers etc, have to be fixed by their respective companies. SP1 for Vista will have little to do with making gaming better as Vista itself has little to do with why it sux for gaming right now. Many games run just fine right now and the driver issues are far and away a much larger issue then the stability of Vista itself.

Out

I know that the article had been posted before, but everyone who thinks about getting vista without real necessity should read it.

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html

When you aren't patient to read it all then jump to the topics called:

Unnecessary CPU Resource Consumption

Unnecessary Device Resource Consumption

Final Thoughts

Do these sound like the words of a man giving a fair assesment or an enraged Windows hating blow hard?

"As a user, there is simply no escape. Whether you use Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows 95, Linux, FreeBSD, OS X, Solaris (on x86), or almost any other OS, Windows content protection will make your hardware more expensive, less reliable, more difficult to program for, more difficult to support, more vulnerable to hostile code, and with more compatibility problems. Because Windows dominates the market and device vendors are unlikely to design and manufacture two different versions of their products, non-Windows users will be paying for Windows Vista content-protection measures in products even if they never run Windows on them."

If you believe in and fear all of this then you may as well remove any windows OS version you've got in use there friends! Content protection is here to stay and it's the price we pay. XP, Vista all the same in this regard.

Out

I wonder who is behind the content protection. I really don't think it was Mr. G. till he got approached by some very heavy weights in the markets that want protection on PC's. I also think they paid a sizeable portion of the R&D and that is why we are dealing with content protection to this extent. Yes MS wants to protect It's OS. The copy content protection is a whole other part of the big picture. Unfortunately we are stuck with it. Who knows Buisnesses are not going to upgrade in a fury. I heard one very large company just got to windows sp2. Big Companies run their own software so they are going to be very slow and very precise that Vista for business will work with everything they have and I mean everything from software to printers whatever. They will make damn sure it will run THEIR systems in an absolute stable condition. So now the question who will be buying Vista. Answer , gamers and very small companies(maybe). We will see how long Vista can stand the time. I know some Os's got tossed till something that Big Companies could rely on and it was tested very well before they invested.

i got the vista theme for xp, but even that is giving me problems lol.

This might help..

Changing the XP theme

First make sure that you have patched up your uxtheme.dll file. So go read my other recipe if you haven't so already. This recipe also tells you how to change your themes.

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/1089/make_xp_look_like_vista_longhorn_free#theme

Be Good..Be Strong..:drink: ;)

This is not protected content, but your guess is as good (or bad) as anything because I don't know ;)

It would be nice if someone with Vista could try to record sound with FRAPS and see if it works, particually if you have a PCI soundcard.