Extremely blurry graphics since DCS 2.5

Burning Bridges

NVidia GTX 1070 390.77

Win7 64

Deferred Shading and 8 AA / 16 AF enabled in game

Is is just me and my computer/drivers? After the update to 2.5 I get horribly blurry graphics, terrain textures look like low res, trees look bad.

This is especially bad in cockpit view.

DCS 2.5:

RgyVrTS.jpg0E84b

Below is a comparison of one of my last shots with 2.1, which I unfortunately selected DCS to automatically uninstalled.

DCS 2.1:

JxXeB81.jpg

When you look at the cockpit instruments, everything is crisp as we were used to from DCS.

I tried deleting the shaders but that didn't help.

Should I reinstall from scratch or try downgrading?

Edited by Burning Bridges
  • Like 1

Turn off DoF.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

DoF works only in external views anyway...

I don't want to nitpick, but whatever it is on the second screenshot, it sure as hell ain't AFx16 :D, or should I say, game's "16" was clearly overridden by something - driver setting maybe? Looks equally bad, more like AF x2. Everything is blurred more than it should. I know that, for example, NV cpl "texture filtering" option set towards performance can do this.

Which brings the question, does the same "something" overrides your 2.5 now as well?

Screen below shows how the Nellis runway @ AA8, AF16 looks like in my 2.5 (388.71 drivers, filtering on "quality").

Edit: just to make sure, you did remove options.lua after uprgading to 2.5, did you?

Screen_180215_211440.thumb.jpg.02fd3a945d8e825a0d93bb9b67393bf5.jpg

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Textures set to "High?" Cockpit textures are not segregated from the outside world.

I inadvertently set mine to medium a few days ago while tweaking and suddenly half the A-10C pit was illegible. Putting it back to "High" gave me readable placards, etc. again.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

post your graphics settings

how come is your resolution 1680 x 1050?

...and as said above, check your texture is at "high"

Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7 | i7-8700K | 32GB DDR4 3600 | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE | EKWB custom loop water cooling | Samsung M.2 EVO 960 500GB SSD + 2 x Crucial 250MX SSD + 4TB HD | Asus PG348Q 3440x1440 | TrackIR5 | Oculus Rift CV1 | MSFFB2 w extension + Saitek X52 Throttle + MFG Crosswind | Windows 10-64

z2xu3rz.jpg

I took another screenshot. Just look at the cockpit surface that appear blurry and without detail

Below is a side by side comparison. Especially the switches on the left look grotesquely overfiltered like in a 2000s game.

i0UksvN.jpg

Looks like I need to downgrade to 2.1 again because no one else has this problem but me, or people just don't see the difference.

I have done all the things and the usual tips.

deleted options.lua (does nothing but delete your graphics settings LOL)

Deleted the the two shader folders /metashaders and /fxo several times

This must be something about the (correct) shaders and I just pray this is not how it is supposed to look like from now on.

deleted options.lua (does nothing but delete your graphics settings LOL)

That's the point, resetting all the options, so that old parameters do not interfere with new game version settings hidden in Config\Terrain\ .lua files.

Anyway, I see what you mean, the last screen shows it clearly. The good thing is - no, that's not how 2.5 is supposed to look, I've just checked with in-game textures on "low" and "high", plus NV cpl texture filtering on "performance" and "quality". None of the above makes the textures THAT blurry.

The bad thing is, I don't know what does on your machine :D. GFX driver is the main suspect then.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

I can only say it doesn't look like that with 388.71.

Well, if the usual 3-steps DCS troubleshooting routine (cleanup, repair, renaming of Saved Games\DCS) doesn't help, and if clean install of some other drivers doesn't help, then I don't know what to suggest next.

Yeah.

To have a laugh I installed 388.71 driver. Then deleted the shader cache and so on.

it didn't change a thing :lol:

I will now go and redownload the 90 Gigabyte installation as often as it needs until the problem dissapears, and if this does not help, reinstall Windows and all my software. Am I doing right?

A bit desperate/extreme method (in my 4 years of DCS I never reinstalled anything, because all my problems were always solved with 3 steps above) but If nothing else works, go for it.

That being said, your 2.1 screen doesn't look as it should at these settings either :D.

What you mean, "at those settings". I believe the 2.1 was taken with 2xAA 8xAF. I have of course not stored metadata with every screenshot I took so the exact AA/AF settings are forgotten.

Point being that up to the last version everything was crisp and now .. well you see yourself. I also never understand why everyone assumes that it's the fault of the user if things get worse after an update. It's ED who wrote the shaders not me.

Edited by Burning Bridges
  • Like 1

Your resolution is 1680 x 1050. Is that really your native screen resolution?

(just wondering if DCS 2.5 for some odd reason would give you lower quality textures if your screen resolution is below 1920x1080???)

Please give a try at the native screen resolution if that is not already the case.

Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7 | i7-8700K | 32GB DDR4 3600 | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE | EKWB custom loop water cooling | Samsung M.2 EVO 960 500GB SSD + 2 x Crucial 250MX SSD + 4TB HD | Asus PG348Q 3440x1440 | TrackIR5 | Oculus Rift CV1 | MSFFB2 w extension + Saitek X52 Throttle + MFG Crosswind | Windows 10-64

The second screenshot was a comparison shot from my previous installation where everything was perfect.

It was with AA x2 AF x8 becuase that is usually enough.

Did you try MSAA x8 and AF x16? Is your system capable of running this setting? Better results then?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]my rig specs: i7-4790K CPU 4.50GHz, 32GB RAM, 64bit WIN10, NVidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti, SSD+

A10C, UH-1H, M2C, F5E, Gazelle, KA 50, F18C, DCS 2.5x OB