Which aircraft?.

shift611

I am probably posting this in the wrong forum but couldn't decide which one to post in so here goes, my question is hopefully simple, at the moment I have only 2 modules being, Flaming Cliffs and the Hawk, which by the way is a total disappointment, no tutorials except for the original 2 and before anyone says there are loads online, yes, but how do you follow along on youtube and then remember everything while starting up DCS. So not being a spring chicken anymore lol, I want an aircraft which is fairly easy to fly and operate and one which I could use the upcoming Hormuz map, I was thinking the F5 but any suggestions would be most welcome. Thank you for reading this.

I am probably posting this in the wrong forum but couldn't decide which one to post in so here goes, my question is hopefully simple, at the moment I have only 2 modules being, Flaming Cliffs and the Hawk, which by the way is a total disappointment, no tutorials except for the original 2 and before anyone says there are loads online, yes, but how do you follow along on youtube and then remember everything while starting up DCS. So not being a spring chicken anymore lol, I want an aircraft which is fairly easy to fly and operate and one which I could use the upcoming Hormuz map, I was thinking the F5 but any suggestions would be most welcome. Thank you for reading this.

The F5 is a great choice, easy layout in the cockpit, easy startup, simple weapon controls but still requires weapon practice.

4.8 I7, 1080, TMW&T, SSD, VKB MK.IV.

.. how do you follow along on youtube and then remember everything while starting up DCS.

I run the tutorials on a tablet beside the PC, and pause the video as I follow along in the sim whenever I fall behind.

So not being a spring chicken anymore lol, I want an aircraft which is fairly easy to fly and operate and one which I could use the upcoming Hormuz map, I was thinking the F5 but any suggestions would be most welcome. Thank you for reading this.

Yes, the F5 is a very good choice, with simple and fewer systems, it was my first DCS aircraft where I could use procedures taken from the real Natops manual and follow them almost to the letter :) as Bunyap shown on this excellent series:

QuSkZVZEUtU

Best regards

Edited by Rudel_chw

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

It depends on what type of plane your after.

If A2A then i recommend the Mirage.

If A2G i recommend either the A10c or Harrier

The F5 is a cracking plane but a2a its limited to two weapons and mainly against the mig 21, where as the mirage can carry BVR weapons.

The harrier and A10 are the only A2G planes worth it tbh, the harrier is easier to learn and more fun

If your looking for any help with these planes we have over 350 members all of whom, will happily help where they can :)

Water cooled i9-9900K | Maximus Code XI MB | RTX3090  | 64GB | HP Reverb G2 

Yea for A2G the harrier will be great, but its still going through the end of the dev process, not everything is fully working and their are still lityle bugs here and there but its still a really good module that will be great.

The A-10C is the most mature A2G module with the most o line materials and videos, and in my opinion its the easiest to just get going, however the module models the aircraft to such a degree that while you may be able to take off and start blowing up targets on day 1 (or 2) it could take you months (or more) to fully learn all the systems and all of the advanced stuff that can be done.

The F5 is also a good choice but it has a bit older or less advanced systems. This is not a bad thing, its just a thing. So depending on what you want, those are some options. The harrier amd A-10 dont really do A2A (well only defensively, in a pinch) but the F5 can do both A2A and A2G.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i5 8600K OC @ 5.0GHz w/ Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler| MSI GTX 1080 OC Edition | 32GB DDR4 3600 | EVO 960 NVMe SSD | WD Black NVMe SSD

Win10 X64 | TrackIR 5 | HTC Vive | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and Cougar MFDs | Saitek Combat Pedals

I'm sorry for the Hawk, but how can Flaming Cliffs 3 be such a disappointment? Yeah, lack of in game tutorials and all the standard campaigns are either boring or bugged (I'm looking at you F-15C Bear Trap Mission #2). But the aircrafts are very fun and easy to fly, in particular the F-15C and the Su-27 and 33. You can always learn through Youtube videos, asking questions on the forum and even joining a Virtual Flight group. Give them a second try!

But, on to the topic, I have some honest recommendations for you:

1) Pick the F/A-18C. And until it's released, give a second try to learn Air-to-Air combat in either the F-15C or the Su-27/33.

2) You wan't an aircraft now with full clickable cockpit, don't pick the A-10C, pick the AV-8B N/A VTOL instead. People say it's very, very sexy and fun to fly. The A-10C is cool tho, don't get me wrong. But if I had to choose, I'd choose the AV-8B.

I'd pick the F-5E or any other only as a secondary aircraft, but it's also a solid choice.

Edited by wedge_one

¬ wedge

Wishlist: DCS: F-16C

wedgeDCS - Modern Custom CSS themes for the Forum

I'm sorry for the Hawk, but how can Flaming Cliffs 3 be such a disappointment? ...

I think he's refering to the Hawk, not FC3 ... seems he chose the Hawk as his first clickable module :(

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

If your concern is with in-game tutorial missions, then I would highly recommend the A-10C. It has a fully-voiced (with subtitles) tutorial with multiple separate tutorials covering various aspects of the aircraft. The tutorial does a great job of covering the basic issues of "why" thing are done a certain way as well. However, the A-10C really does require a good stick and throttle setup, since it's highly dependent on HOTAS and it binds buttons to the actual button on the real stick and throttle of the aircraft, rather than to a specific function. A Saitek X-52 would probably be the minimum requirement.

The Mirage 2000C has good tutorials AND it has a campaign (included with the module) that does a good job of guiding you through the basics of how to apply those lessons.

The Hawk is really not representative of DCS modules in general. I don't want to say anything bad about the developers of that module, so I'll just point out that they are no longer developing modules for DCS World.

Personally - the M2000C is my vote for one of the best choices for a first full fidelity module in DCS.

It is capable of both A2G and A2A, and probably has the least amount of systems to be concerned about while still having a fully functional and rather informative A2A radar system, as well as IFF to keep you from firing at friendlies.

Other players, or AI controlled JTAC vehicles can buddy laze for you, allowing you to carry GBU-12's and have a hayday.

That being said - the fighter jets from FC3 are currently the strongest a2a platforms in the game, with more pylons for armament and higher speeds, but you can learn to be sneaky in the m2k with appropriate radar usage, valleys and mountains, ECM usage.

The A-10C is currently one of the strongest ground attack platforms in the game, but also comes with a 600 page manual and requires quite a bit more learning and is so ingrained with having a hotas setup closely to the stick and throttle in the pit for controlling most sensors and weapons. The harrier is also looking like it's going to be an awesome ground attack aircraft, and so far has been much easier for me to learn than the A-10C, but the version we have also has no A2A radar and afaik no IFF system.

The F-5e is an awesome module, but its payload delivery methods are a bit antiquated, like the mirage it can also carry laser guided ordinance, but needs someone/something to buddy laze for you. Conventional bombing is a little involved and proper procedure requires knowing the target's elevation, and doing some simple math to determine which altitude to approach from and requiring a 20 degree dive. Its a2a it's limited like the harrier to aim-9's (short range) and no IFF system. (Not a problem if you are good at spotting and visually identifying, PROVIDED the server limits blue to western aircraft/red to eastern aircraft.) In an a2a situation, the FC3 jets and the mirage have the upper hand with their long range a2a radar systems.

If the mirage isn't to your liking, I'd say the Harrier is probably next aircraft that is easiest to learn, which could hold it's own in close range dogfight, and delivers a2g ordinance in a much simpler method to understand than the F-5e3, while also having the option to carry the same targeting pod the A-10C carries as well as Maverick AGM's. The harrier has no training missions as of yet, but there are some good youtube videos for it and I found it not very difficult to learn.

Do feel free to take some time to enjoy some of the aircraft in the FC3 package however. The F-15C, Su-27, and Mig-29A are air to air powerhouses. Despite "simplified" avionics..they're a bit more difficult to setup or learn due to the sheer amount of keybindings required rather than studying a diagram of a hotas from a flight manual, but with enough practice and knowledge it becomes second nature to operate the radar.

I am an expert in none of these aircraft... I die A LOT lol..but I've put quite a few hours into each of them usually recommend to people to try FC3 first, and it's not long after that they're ready to try their first full fidelity module. I think the m2000c is probably one of the easiest to step into. And i can't help but recommend Blackshark 2 (the ka-50) as a first DCS chopper.

I didn't intend to get so wordy, but it could be obvious I enjoy DCS World quite a bit. It's also worth mentioning, that the easiest way to learn any of these aircraft is probably to make some friends with people who are already into it. ;) Wingmen are vital to air combat.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

Yeah, it's a bit tricky, because pretty much everyone on that map uses (or used) US gear.

F-5's great - simple but capable - but light in the loadout...

Iraq just pops in at the top of the gulf though, and they flew Su-25A with a lot of success against the Iranians. You could legitimately set up some missions where your FC3 Su-25A was performing deep strikes into countries on that map.

The Su-25A is a lot of fun.

The system modelling is simpler as an FC3 aircraft, but the actual aircrafts systems are pretty simple so it's not like you're actually missing out on a lot of button pushing (esp. as you'd just map lots of actual buttons to your keyboard anyway if they were clickable), and the FM is good.

Some effective guided weapons, but only with the precision that you get by planting the laser using the eyeball, reasonable legs if you put some external tanks on.

For fun I swapped the Su-25A for the AJS37 in the mission Wags used for the interdiction video, and the Su-25 was capable of completing the mission in that role...

Same A2A loadout as the F-5 (but no radar)

Have you tried that plane much ?

Cheers.

I tend to see, that a lot of people have forgotten the concept ot writing stuff down.

Even if there are tutorials, I can bet that one won't remember anything, if he only does the tutorial once without making notes.

There are a lot of good modules. It really depends on what you want(or believe you want :lol:)

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

Thanks from "shift611"

Dear Wedge one, and all, I'm sorry for my misleading text, its not FC3 that I am disappointed with I am more than happy with this module, great value for money, its only the Hawk that I am sorry I bought, apart from a few minor updates since release its virtually the same as release, and I bought this module pre release. Anyway apart from that I thank you all for your help and suggestions and I have come down on the F5 and I am now working my way through the Bunyap 1 to 10 tutorials, great stuff, only sorry he seems to have got to busy to post video's. Anyway thank you all once again.

I want an aircraft which is fairly easy to fly and operate and one which I could use the upcoming Hormuz map, I was thinking the F5

Although you can fly any aircraft on any map, I guess that with the Hormuz map you'll want to have a more or less modern (meaning still or until recently in active use) aircraft.

Then I think one question would be, do you want FBW or not? The Mirage is my only full-fidelity FBW module, but I keep getting amazed how different it is from a "convential" aircraft like the Viggen, which has similar specs on paper.

To be honest, although FBW undoubtedly makes the plane more efficient, I find it also takes some of the fun away... Therefore, I'm not sure if I'll buy another FBW aircraft.

Given that you already chose the Hawk, I'm going to recommend the Albatros. It's similar, but in the Albatros everything works. ;) And it's great fun to fly.

If you want to stick with a Western plane and want a front-line fighter/bomber, I think the F5 is a great choice, even if I don't have it yet. I would recommend also the Viggen, but that doesn't make that much sense for the Hormuz scenario. And it's not the Mirage is a bad or un-interesting plane, I just find it a bit too easy to fly. The MiG-21 is a great plane and I want to love it, but the module seems to change a bit between updates. They are working on a major update, but at this point I'm not sure if I can recommend it.

Modules: Bf 109, C-101, CE-II, F-5, Gazelle, Huey, Ka-50, Mi-8, MiG-15, MiG-19, MiG-21, Albatros, Viggen, Mirage 2000, Hornet, Yak-52, FC3

Can't go wrong with the F5 imho

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

If you don't have the A-10C, why not give it a go? It's the most complex AND most convenient aircraft in DCS: automatic navigation, directors all over the place, multi-function colour displays, a moving map, targeting pod, and HUD targeting reticule for all kinds of weapons employment including dropping bombs automatically as you fly over the target, and much more. It's the simply best.

The A-10C and Ka-50 are the only aircraft in DCS with moving maps and targeting pods, which is a big advantage in my opinion, since it let's you forget about carefully studying the map before a flight (or cheating) and weapons employment is automagic.

But if you want anti-complexity, the F-86F starts with literally just three flicks of two switches, if I remember correctly.

Also, yeah, the Hawk is still a joke. The worst module and I own them all.

Edited by D.Va

Read my DCS 2.5 Optimisation Guide (version 2.5.4):

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3828073

The F5 is a good choice, and while you are looking at the videos Bunyap did on the F5 check his stuff, he has done a number of them on the A-10C.

until the hornet is released, the A-10C is the most advance aircraft in DCS, and while its pretty much only A2G, it can delivery a lot of munitions and pretty much almost any type..

that and the price on it is going up a notable amount, i think at the end of the month.. DCS is raising the prices on a few of their slightly older modules. so if you have an interest maybe for in a few months, use the bonus point money from the modules you have bought already and jump for the A-10C. If you have more interest in the harrier, at least you can safely wait as the price on that isn't going to go up anytime soon. but its still in early access and still a lot pending with that one.

All that, i hope you find the F5 fun, take notes during the youtube videos, print out check lists, and use you phone or tablet if you have one to help you with extra PDF/documents for when you are trying to learn and fly.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i5 8600K OC @ 5.0GHz w/ Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler| MSI GTX 1080 OC Edition | 32GB DDR4 3600 | EVO 960 NVMe SSD | WD Black NVMe SSD

Win10 X64 | TrackIR 5 | HTC Vive | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and Cougar MFDs | Saitek Combat Pedals

L-39 hands down . It is smple and truly delightful to fly . The module is bug-free and it will teach you everything you need to effectively operate a jet . You can play in fc3 to build combat experience and determine whether you are more interested in a2a or a2g before "stepping up" to a full-featured combat aircraft module .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

• 6 months later...

I do not recomend FC 3, buy a full fidelity aircraft and never look back. My opinion may be pretty exclusive but I never went back to the FC3 modules. Just my two cents.

F5 is ok but it gets boring pretty quick. And I like that aircraft a lot ... The in cockpit sound just doesn't make me feel I am flying a jet. Top notch module though, money well spent.

The L-39 I just bought because of all the rave here in the forum. Damn is she a blast to fly. Do not underestimate the slower planes. Probably the most underrated plane in DCS. Perfection ! The in cockpit sound is awesome.

The Mig 21 is in the same league, everything shakes, fast as f**k, beautiful looking and if you brought her home save you have done a hell of a job. Even a takeoff can be scary. Tier one plane in DCS, brutal, ugly, fat and old.

Mig 15 is loved by everyone, beautiful done, gives great feeling flying such an old lemon. I hate all that trimming though. Starts easy, lands easy. Wish there were more liveries. No regrets that I bought it.

Hornet is the new king, flies like on rails, massive power, slow turning in perfection. Good looking and easy to start and land. I mean REALLY easy ... Not much into weapons right now but there are lots to try out. Expensive !

Su 27, Su 33 and Mig 29 don't get any flight time anymore. No full fidelity modules as of now, regret buying them. Maybe they get a future upgrade and who knows, maybe it will be free for the owners.

Imo you pick the two least desirable mods hawk because of its intial development was flawed and fc3 because by design it’s is restricted in its development. If you want a well documented mod for fixed wing I would go a-10c because of its age it is fully implemented and documented and supported. Another would be the f/a-18c which is still in development but it has been fully demonstrated by wags in his you tube videos just watch them and take note on everything you do also another printed source of great information is chuck’s tutorials followed the moved link in this forum to the new location. If you want in cockpit working training missions I’ve not sure which mod has the best training missions. Being that dcs is designed as a study level sim it is by design requires reading the supplied manuals and following checklists to operate the aircraft. And practice to become proficient at its use. Finding a multiplayer squad that does basic training is another option but must squads expect you to have basic knowledge of the aircraft and be willing to take that and built on it at varying speeds some expect you to get up ang going within a few weeks or less other do not care how long it takes as real life can limit you ability to practice. Some squads are structured advancement and training others are open to doing it by what the mission designer wishes to come up with. Some follow the rl training that the service that they mirror uses others use their own standards. For rotary wing the best documented is probably the ka-50 black shark the initial aircraft for this sim iirc. The hardest by design is probably the uh-1h huey my favorite, the French gazelle is the only helo that has multiplayer multicrew at this time there are a couple of fixed wings that offer iirc. I hope this helps

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

You cant go wrong with an F5E. It has straightforward to learn avionics and is easy to fly especially considering its not a FBW aircraft.

But If you are no longer a "spring chicken" ( as you yourself said) you dont need to limit yourslef to simpler older generational aircraft. Perhaps make that step where the lurning curve is a bit greater.

Id recommend the F/A18C Hornet. Sure more complex systems, but its in no way hard to fly given its FBW, and startup procedure is not too hard either, and you do get rewarded learning them by flying a very capable and extremely mission versatile aircraft.

In the long run youl appreciate you got the Hornet. Even though its still in EA, its already a more capable fighter than the Mirage 2000 ( Amrams, Aim9x, larger missile carry capacity, arguably more potent radar) that a few here have recommended, and still more versatile in strike missions ( even without guided muntions implemented yet) than either the Viggen or Mirage 2000.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD