Rudder and side-slip inaccuracies

bkthunder

With the current FM, rudder usage (and subsequent side-slip) doesn't produce any roll moment.

This is not correct, according to the Natops Manual A1-AV8BB-NFM000 11.4.5.1

Apparent dihedral effect is defined as an aircraft’s tendency to develop roll rate due to sideslip. Positive apparent dihedral effect equates to a roll rate into a sideslip (i.e. roll rate to the right due to a nose-right sideslip).

[...]

Note that the Harrier has a high wing, which is positively swept. Both of these characteristics contribute to positive apparent dihedral. However, the Harrier’s wing is also very anhedral, which contributes to negative apparent dihedral. The overall effect, though, is that the Harrier exhibits a positive apparent dihedral effect.

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

I think this was mentioned before and it was decide (discovered) that the flight computer (I think it’s SAS in the harrier) compensates automatically. If I remember correctly it was mention about 3-4 weeks ago, probably in the main harrier thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, that's not true. SAS on or off makes no difference, and if the SAS was really compensating, the ailerons would move when applying rudder, to counteract the roll, which is not the case.

P.S. I am not criticizing, I am simply reporting things in case Razbam aren't aware of them. I love this module and want to see it rendered properly in the FM department.

I know Razbam can do a good job here, and I hope they will simulate the nuances of this awesome aircraft!

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

I think this was mentioned before and it was decide (discovered) that the flight computer (I think it’s SAS in the harrier) compensates automatically.

It wasn't 'decided'. Just a few users gave that (inaccurate) response and RAZBAM never gave an official response or even acknowledged the bug report.

Even if SBAS/SAAS systems would be programmed to try to eliminate such behaviors (that they are not, as the A stands for Augmentation, not Diminishing), they would be constrained by the aerodynamic limitations of the control surfaces they have authority over, and the airplane would eventually exhibit its design 'conventional' aerodynamic behaviors.

Also, as bkthunder pointed out, if the FBW/SAS system were removing these trends, you should see them actuating to counter-act them, and you do not see that in the DCS Harrier.

Additionally for the "FBW/SAS excuse", some of you are probably aware of the existence of certain other F-16 sim. That sim actually has a superb flight model and realistic FCS simulation of a FBW equipped aircraft, and it responds as expected to a sideslip condition/gust.

The only DCS aircraft with questionable FM rudder behavior are, coincidentally, both RAZBAM modules.

I remember that the Mig-21 initial open beta was released with a similar bug. Its developers, however, quickly acknowledge the bug report I made and within weeks they professionally released a fix.

I hope that the RAZBAM Harrier soon gets a FM that its "DCS" brand tag (and price) deserves.

Has Razbam mentioned the status of the FM's SAS modeling? I'm almost inclined to think that perhaps they've only modeled SAS flight dynamics, but haven't yet modeled SAS off flight dynamics, hence there not being a change between having it on or off?

With SAS off the AV8B is way more "woobly" and and its easier to maneuver with a wing ripped off.

PC: i7 6700K - GTX980ti - ASUS Z170P D3 - 32GB DDR3 - Samsung 850Evo - 5TB HDD

Displays: BenQ RL2455HM - Acer Pred. XB241H - BenQ RL2455HM

Controller: Modded TM WH grip on VKB Glad.2PRO, TM WH Trottle, TM MFD`s,

Saitek Rudder, 3xArduino Mega+Leonardo for AV8B panels, TIR5,

Hi guys I've got this fixed, it was a classic coding mistake that I should have noticed before but thanks for reporting it!

You are all right about SAS, it's not a magic physics changer device, it just augments the user input to allow for more predictable and consistent control.

Sorry for taking so long to reply, real life has kept be from being as active on the forums as I'd like to be.

There we go, problem solved. I guess it was wrong, but glad it’s being fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk