Gripen cockpit - "what does this button do?"

peterj

http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/2101/cd118optimized8ft.jpg

Hope I'm not touching anything classified, beeing a russian site and all ;)

Here's my guesses, what do you think?

Right MFD

EMGY - Emergency, backup systems?

INIT - Initialize, ?

A/A - Air to Air

A/S - Air to Sea?

RCE -

X1

XA

X2

MP -

HRES - high/h/ resolution, ?

CURS - Cursor

MENU [RDR] - Radar? menu

+B- Brightness

Save

XIMG

FREZ

ID

CORR

Center MFD

EMGY

MAP?

EWS - Electronic warfare suite

MSSN(?) -

LINK - datalink

FIX -

VARN -

VPN -

LDG -

XPOL -

INFO -

CHKL -

PP[?]S -

Left MDS

EMGY

G

M

E -

CVRS -

MENU[sT?A] -

+B- Brightness

+C- Color

Heres' my guesses.

http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/2101/cd118optimized8ft.jpg

Hope I'm not touching anything classified, beeing a russian site and all ;)

Here's my guesses, what do you think?

Right MFD

EMGY - Emergency, backup systems?

INIT - Initialize, ?

A/A - Air to Air

A/S - Air to Sea?

RCE - Recon (sniff)

X1 (maybe radom frequency patterns?)

XA

X2

MP -

HRES - high/h/ resolution, ?

CURS - Cursor

MENU [RDR] - Radar? menu

+B- Brightness

Save

XIMG

FREZ freeze

ID Mode 4

CORR correlate

Center MFD

EMGY

MAP? different mapping modes

EWS - Electronic warfare suite

MSSN(?) - mission planning

LINK - datalink

FIX - Create a fix etc

VARN -

VPN -

LDG - landing charts

XPOL - may be fpol apol ranges etc

INFO - system status

CHKL - checklist

PP[?]S -

Left MDS

EMGY

G

M

E -

CVRS -

MENU[sT?A] -

+B- Brightness

+C- Color

X1

XA

X2

With my background in ATC radars, when I see 1, 2, A then my first thought is transponder settings for Mode 1, Mode 2 and Mode A (or more correctly 3/A since military Mode 3 and Civilian Mode A are one and the same). So I am guessing that button would perhaps lead to a pop up menu that allowed the setting of reply codes for those Modes and also the switching ON/OFF of replying to interrogations on those Modes.

The EMGY button could be for the Emergency Transponder response - it is on all 3 panels so whichever the pilot can physically reach in an emergency he can press, it is a different colour, it is in the same position on each panel.

Three particular codes are universally assigned for use to indicate emergency conditions with Mode 3/A

7700 emergency

7600 radio failure

7500 hijack

There would be nothing to stop a military aircraft using 7700, but the introduction of 7700,7600,7500 postdates the existing ability of military aircraft transponders to send a "Four Bar" Military emergency. This consists of 4 closely spaced reply pulse trains 4.35 us apart, the first reply contains Code information (which might or might not be 7700) and the succeeding reply trains have zero code content, ie are just empty brackets.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sorry Death, you lose! It was Professor Plum....

That cockpit looks so sweet :)

The stick setup looks very unusual. A very short stick, which I guess means more "banking" movement compared to the shifting movement of longer sticks. How comfortable is this compared to conventional sticks ?

Also I read that the throttle is also a joystick used to control the radar and FLIR system. How does this feel and does it cause any unintended throttle movements ?

To peterj:

Man, you are really teasing me ;) I could help you, but then I'd have to kill you.

Classified stuff, you know...

Anyway, you almost got it right :thumbup:

Sorry ;)

It's like stock advice, you can't get it from those who know, but an educated guess can be of great value.

Thanks for your input everyone.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83 GHz; Intel Board DG41RQ; Sparkle GF 9800 GT 1 GB DDR3; 2 x Kingston KVR800D2N6/2G 2 GB DDR2 800; Samsung SyncMaster T240M LCD; Samsung HD502HI 500GB 5400rpm; Samsung CDDVDW SH-S223C; eXtream X-Raptor 650W FEX-65P14HE; Leadership Commander 6731; Clone Cobra 01654; Leadership Twin Turbo 1021;D-LINK DWA 510; WISE RJAC-323 Black Piano; Zalman ZM-F3 LED 120 mm; Windows 7 HP 64.

Complementing: the above pics are the instrument panel of the american F-35 JSF.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83 GHz; Intel Board DG41RQ; Sparkle GF 9800 GT 1 GB DDR3; 2 x Kingston KVR800D2N6/2G 2 GB DDR2 800; Samsung SyncMaster T240M LCD; Samsung HD502HI 500GB 5400rpm; Samsung CDDVDW SH-S223C; eXtream X-Raptor 650W FEX-65P14HE; Leadership Commander 6731; Clone Cobra 01654; Leadership Twin Turbo 1021;D-LINK DWA 510; WISE RJAC-323 Black Piano; Zalman ZM-F3 LED 120 mm; Windows 7 HP 64.

Guest IguanaKing
:huh: Some of that build quality in the pit looks a bit scary.

What's wrong with the build quality? What? A few spots where you can see Chromate instead of grey? BAH!!! A pretty panel doesn't keep you off the ground, and it doesn't win the war. The key is...how quickly can you change out tubes and standby instruments, before the next wave of enemy bombers comes and turns a pretty panel into scrap aluminum. It'll be aesthetically pleasing, but it'll be dead. :smilewink:

Guest IguanaKing

Maybe you're looking at a different pic, aside from the one linked in the first post? Dodgy welds on what? Are you talking about the glare shield? Rust bubbles? Ferrous metals in a canopy frame? :surprise: I duke of doubt it. :smilewink:

Maybe you're looking at a different pic, aside from the one linked in the first post? Dodgy welds on what? Are you talking about the glare shield? Rust bubbles? Ferrous metals in a canopy frame? :surprise: I duke of doubt it. :smilewink:

Think he's talking about this

rusty.jpg.f6d126f78632b130aa285f8af4618816.jpg

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P

^^^^^^ :huh:

Cmon LEafer, you had to post grafiti obsenenities like that?! :rolleyes:

:lol:

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Does this plane not have a HUD or am I looking at completely the wrong bit?

It doesn't. It has advanced HMS instead. Everything is on the helm's visor.

"Я ошеломлён, но думаю об этом другими словами", - некий гражданин

Ноет котик, ноет кротик,

Ноет в небе самолетик,

Ноют клумбы и кусты -

Ноют все. Поной и ты.

Guest IguanaKing
Think he's talking about this

Ahhh...I see. That's not a weld though, its CS3204 sealant (or its Swedish equivalent). Its nasty stuff, gets on everything and stains it charcoal grey before it cures, and smells like a pile of buffalo dung. Its used to seal joints on pressurized aircraft. Its difficult to get it smoothed out if you don't have a good technique. Maybe Saab hasn't yet discovered the use of popsicle sticks to spread sealant...works like a charm. :D

It doesn't. It has advanced HMS instead. Everything is on the helm's visor.

It has an HUD:

http://www.gripen.com/en/GripenFighter/TechnicalSummary.htm

Cockpit and Display System:

The Gripen cockpit is dominated by three large, full color, Multi-Function Displays (MFDs) and a wide angle diffractive optics Head-Up Display (HUD) with a holographic combiner. A highly efficient human-machine interface has been integrated into the Gripen to substantially ease pilot workload, particularly in combat situations. This provides a Gripen pilot with outstanding situational awareness, ensuring unrivalled operational effectiveness. It also increases the time available for tactical decision-making allowing the pilot to use the aircraft and weapons system to maximum effect.

The main functions of each display are as follows:

Head-Up Display (HUD) - providing FLIR imagery and weapon aiming information superimposed on the outside world at all altitudes.

Flight Data Display (FDD) - provides flight data and system status information about the engine, fuel and external stores.

Horizontal Situation Display (HSD) - provides navigational and tactical mission data superimposed on an electronic map of selectable scale.

Multi-Sensor Display (MSD) - presents information from the radar, FLIR imagery and other sensors. Flight and fire control data are also superimposed.

information_war_dominance.jpg.f25158cdc6ecaf097ff82f2d39646487.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]