PC Upgrade ?

Hello guys,

I'm currently running an old late 2012 setup :

- Win 7 Pro 64

- i7-3820 @ 3,6 GHz (with Noctua NH-D14)

- ASUS P9X79 PRO

- Corsair Vengeance Series 16 Go (4 x 4 Go) DDR3 2400 MHz CL10

3 years later I added a SanDisk SSD Extreme PRO 480 Go, and a month ago I got a MSI 1080TI.

DCS is running OK @ 1440p.

I use my computer for DCS (obviously) and also a little bit of other games, 3DS Max, Photoshop and it's also my main computer for work.

I was thinking about upgrading my setup with a new MotherBoard, CPU and 32Go of RAM.

But I really like Win 7 Pro and don't want to "upgrade" to Win 10. So my choices are limited here :

The higher I can go CPU wise is the i7-6700 @ 4GHz but after reading a little bit on it, it doesn't seem to be THAT good.

For the Mobo I was thinking about the ASUS ROG Z270 Maximus IX Hero with some G.Skill Trident Z 32 Go (4x 8 Go) DDR4 3400 MHz CL16.

Considering that changing my OS is not the point here what could you say about all that ?

Is it worth it "performance" wise, will it make a great change for me ? What about DCS with this new setup ?

Thank's for your insights.

Edited by Arnaud

Go Windows 10 64-bit. It's not Windows 8. You also don't need the 32GB of RAM for gaming, if that's what you're thinking, but upgrading your motherboard, processor, and memory (just 16GB) anyway is a good idea, if you want them to keep up with your graphics card.

Read my DCS 2.5 Optimisation Guide (version 2.5.4):

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3828073

note for that cpu u have to go with z370 chipset, i have it and it is ok cpu for dcs, 60 fps all high on any map, low, high, city no city, i get always 60 fps which is good i think.

I fly 2D at 2560x1440 and with "All-in" I still get a stable minimum of 65fps, with everything maxed out. Turning a few things down with little graphical impact brings anywhere between 85 and 144fps, depending on the airframe and scene.

GHz does still count more than anything else. Looking into the future of DCS and Vulkan, I think the lowest you should go is a fast 4c/8t or better a 6c with or without hyperthreading.

Cibit's CPU is a good compromise, value vs. performance. A sure bet ! 8600k, if that aint too expensive.

Take any Z370 that you like but I would not pay more than max 200€. YOu get pretty descend boards for that or less. Gigabyte has nice boards meanwhile, i would pick one of those if I had to buy again a Z370.

16GB is ok for now, just get 2x8 and not 4x4 so you have options for later. 32GB is imho needed but I am not going to argue here. 16GB is needed, 32GB is nice to have in MP and VR.

A NVMe SSD is nice, but I would rather get a fatter CPU as you already have a SSD, and the diff between NVMe and SSD Sata for DCS is not that we have an issue there. Tho 2 SSDs are nice, splitt the I/O ;)

Win10 is nice...cmon, dare to install it :)

Edited by BitMaster

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Thank's guy for your replies.

So basically everyone is telling me to dump my Win 7 Pro and go for Win 10 as 8th generation CPU are not supported by 7. So I'll have to pay for a new OS on top of hardware and also change all my habits when it comes to work environement. Why not after all, but does it make such a difference with the setup I was suggesting ?

Don't get me wrong, DCS is running fine on my machine, more or less 60 fps almost maxed out @ 1440p.

The thing is now I have a really good graphics card I felt like I had to improve a little bit the rest of the hardware.

Anyone with the i7-6700K here ? Who could share a little bit of experience about this CPU ?

Is Win 10 reliable ? Imho Win 7 Pro is the best microsoft OS ever released so....

Win7 is great. But I like Win10 better. But it's a personal opinion. You can also use your current win7 to upgrade it to win10. And when you install the win10 on the new machine, the license will follow. I upgraded from Win7 to Win10, and reinstalled several times. As long as you log into your Windows account once, you won't have to worry about "reactivating" the license. I typically login while upgrading/rebuilding the PC. Then change the login to local user instead of using MS account.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I had a 6700k for about 6 weeks until it fried with the board.

I would never buy this CPU again. It is no match vs. a 7700k or even 8700k.

The 6700k also aint good overclocker unless you delid it, even then it falls some hundred MHz behind.

I would not buy that unless you get a really good price and value that higher

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Thank's guys, again, very interesting answers here.

I should definitely go for a 8700 then and jump into Win 10.

I looked a bit online yesterday to assess what it would cost me.

I'm a big fan of ASUS Mobos, so I will probably go for one Z370.

And also 32G of RAM needed as I'm working with 3DS Max from time to time.

In any cases thank's for your replies, very informative as far as I'm concerned.

8700k also overclocks extremely well. You should be able to do 5GHz on air cooling.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat