What is a helicopter able to do and perform ?

borchi_2b

Since many people praise the Bo105 for its stunts and fancy here for it, I have to admid that I think people often forget that any articulated rotor is capable of doing so.

Here is a video evidence of a normal bussiness helicopter doing a perfect loop and a roll.

Should I mention that this is one of my favourite rotorheads of all or at least the military sister of this civil bird ?

Edited by borchi_2b

I'd say that's got a pucker-factor of black-hole/10.

LG 34UC97 34" 3440x1440 monitor | 2x GTX-980 G1 Gaming

I7-5820k @ 3.3GHz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 2133Mhz

Samsung 840 EVO 120GB & 1TB SSDs | Seagate 3TB HDD

TM Warthog | Saitek Pro Flight Combat Pedals

Yes, it is truly amazing what helicopters can do ... so much more than anything with a fixed wing!

For example, many people don't know that technically helicopters can sustain inverted flight if the range of blade pitch is simply configured to be negative as well as positive.

By far the biggest limitation is the people inside them. This is obvious when you watch RC helis, which show the true potential, such as the one in the link below:

I fly RC helis (but my skills are nothing like in the video), and I can tell you this is not electronic trickery. It took hours of practice for me to learn just to hover with any confidence ... and many more hours before I could fly backwards or inverted. Very stressful hobby ... hence the appeal of flight sims like DCS with it's low cost per crash!

Edited by Kestrel

8700k, 1080Ti, 16GB 3200 RAM, Warthog Hotas, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Rift CV1, Obutto R3volution

And that's what?

It looks like you're confusing what people do with a radio controlled helicopter, and the piloting of a real helico.Even if we are able to pass the loop with a real helico, it is not for nothing except to amuse the spectators. The majority of the players focus on this kind of exibition, to reproduce them in the game, whereas they are hardly able to hold a correct stationary without the auto piloting. If you want to make a simulator RC Helicopter, say it frankly, and stop enjoying the amalgam, please.

Any aerodyne is able to pass a loop or a barrel, that does not mean that it is made for that. A helicopter offers so many possibilities, it is really a pity to reduce it to a simple figure of aerobatics .

Since many people praise the Bo105 for its stunts and fancy here for it, I have to admid that I think people often forget that any articulated rotor is capable of doing so.

Here is a video evidence of a normal bussiness helicopter doing a perfect loop and a roll.

Should I mention that this is one of my favourite rotorheads of all or at least the military sister of this civil bird ?

Do you know what happened to the airframe after that flig... incident? ;)

ASUS N552VX | i7-6700HQ @ 2.59GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | NVIDIA GF GTX 950M 4 Gb | 250 Gb SSD | 1 Tb HD SATA II Backup | TIR4 | Microsoft S. FF 2+X52 Throttle+Saitek Pedals | Win 10 64 bits

Yes, it is truly amazing what helicopters can do ... so much more than anything with a fixed wing!

For example, many people don't know that technically helicopters can sustain inverted flight if the range of blade pitch is simply configured to be negative as well as positive.

By far the biggest limitation is the people inside them. This is obvious when you watch RC helis, which show the true potential, such as the one in the link below:

I fly RC helis (but my skills are nothing like in the video), and I can tell you this is not electronic trickery. It took hours of practice for me to learn just to hover with any confidence ... and many more hours before I could fly backwards or inverted. Very stressful hobby ... hence the appeal of flight sims like DCS with it's low cost per crash!

Comparing an RC scale helicopter with a 1:1 helicopter is not fair. One thing to begging is its different mass, there is a huge difference there... Other are the materials and stiffness/resistance of those...

If you try to sustain inverted flight with a helicopter (I mean, one that was not designed for sustained inverted flight, some helicopters have negative pitch, normally shipboard ones) you would probably lose your tail and rotor blades in the process.

I am a bit tired of people here, in this forum, comparing RC helicopters with real helicopters. Although the fundamentals of flight are there, you can't compare the inertia and the mass, plus the different materials and dynamics... Everyone has right to express opinion and its up to people wanting to learn more and get the facts right. Cheers.

ASUS N552VX | i7-6700HQ @ 2.59GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | NVIDIA GF GTX 950M 4 Gb | 250 Gb SSD | 1 Tb HD SATA II Backup | TIR4 | Microsoft S. FF 2+X52 Throttle+Saitek Pedals | Win 10 64 bits

@focha:

Yes we do, cause we have a maintenance guy onboard that send me the link to the video and we discussed it. Not uch happened to the airframe itself. It was checked more into the depth but that is it. Nothing roke or anything, and the magic to such flight is a simple one. Do not cut your tail ;)

@cromhunt:

Sorry you have misunderstood me. I certainly have no desire to emulate RC flying in DCS; other simulators exist for that specific purpose. I enjoy DCS (and other flight sims) as a totally separate hobby; the purpose being to experience realistic on-board fight and procedures from a pilots perspective.

@Focha

Comparing any two classes off helicopter is unfair.

I interpreted the OP ("What is a helicopter able to do and perform?") in the broadest sense of the subject, and to push the limits of what a helicopter can do inevitably requires some type of specialization. For example, a Mi-26 can lift 20 metric tons. Does this demonstrate what amazing things a helicopter is capable of doing? Yes. Is it a fair comparison with other helicopters? No.

By definition, a helicopter is not restricted to any particular size, nor is it required to accommodate a pilot. But in hindsight, yes I should have perhaps considered this question more purely in the context of DCS (where the subject matter determines that a pilot must indeed be present on-board). So I apologize if considering a slightly broader scope offended anyone. But I won't apologize for my love of helicopters (of any shape and size!)

8700k, 1080Ti, 16GB 3200 RAM, Warthog Hotas, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Rift CV1, Obutto R3volution

@focha:

Yes we do, cause we have a maintenance guy onboard that send me the link to the video and we discussed it. Not uch happened to the airframe itself. It was checked more into the depth but that is it. Nothing roke or anything, and the magic to such flight is a simple one. Do not cut your tail ;)

Have a different story about that air frame and what happened to the pilot. But you know aviation... it is indeed a pit of stories... some true, some myth.

Regards.

A helicopter is able to hover, relocate it’s position while in a hover, take off and land vertically without the aid of rockets or other unattached devices, and is without competition in these arenas.

Fixed wing aircraft cannot even compete with it, but then they have their own specific missions.

Helicopters don’t need to “keep up with the Joneses” to maintain their worth, imho.

• 2 weeks later...

Well there's

and cattle herding

Say wouldn't a light (door lees) version of a 342 be awesome fun cat herding,.. :D

:P :music_whistling:

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.