Is INS TAS ranging update actually implemented?

atsmith6

Quick question: Is the INS TAS ranging update actually implemented?

The reason I asked is I want to start getting the guys at my virtual wing ready to support ground forces and so being able to update the INS is now pretty important.

At the moment I have found what seems like the following behaviour:

1. TAS ranging update doesn't seem to work at all. The values given as deltas are complete rubbish. As in if I'm off by a few feet with the diamond I get a number of miles on the readout. Also the drift reported on the left display seems like a function of distance. So I'm guessing it's taking the aircraft's own ship position and not taking a ranging reading.

2. If I do an INS overfly update then that does that seems to work, but I am not convinced it's using my aircrafts current location as I am sure the INS updates to an accurate value even when I am sloppy and miss the update point quite significantly.

Does anyone know that status of this?

Kind Regards

A

Ahh right thanks. That's very disappointing. Makes the aircraft just too hobbled for effective use in a multiplayer wing that includes things like a JTAC or requires any form of pre-planned precision strike. :( I really desperately want to like this aircraft but it's just too incomplete. Any information about when (or even if) this functionality will be fixed or implemented?

You can disable INS drift. Yes, I know, you loose the fun to update your nav on initial point before the attack, but other modules like Ka-50, A-10C etc have embedded GPS. So it isn't like it's standard.

You can still do fun things, like attack on direct coordinates or on azimuth/ range with BAD function, rockets, dumb bombs or LGB.

Last thing: the Mirage 2000C RDI requires to visually aim the target* (direct CCRP or CCIP). With only one INS without GPS it isn't fit for blind bombing.

* I also exclude CCRP + PI for now because of some in game limitations. Plus this mode trades accuracy for stand off range. It's mostly used as back up in case of bad weather (too low ceiling for direct CCRP).

Finally, the Mirage 2000C RDI isn't a dedicated strike fighter. It's secondary mission. It's a little like a MiG-29 with more flexibility thanks to INS system.

You can modify you flight plan in flight, 20 waypoints + 20 offset points (BAD), TACAN offset for NAV. That's not that bad...

Yes some functions are not finished, but if you focus on what works and build on it you can have fun.

Edited by jojo

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

INS oblique update "works" in the sense that it makes the ownship position equal to the true position. What it should do however is make the ownship position equal to the supplied position.

If your concern is correlation of expected position to true position, all INS updates in the Mirage result in this, oblique and flyover. The requirements currently are identical.

The lacking feature is the ability of INS to update to a position other than the truth which the real one can do (both desired and undesired). I think also the oblique point to assumed point (aka how much the INS will shift in distance) is the real valid oblique accepted criteria while currently in DCS it is the ownship to assumed point distance criteria. This second thing is rather minor.

You should be able to take oblique updates and have practically the same effect as overfly as currently modeled.

Frederf thanks for the update.

In light of the above information and given that the INS update is incomplete in implementation I have proposed that we turn INS drift off. My thinking is that if there is no skill in getting the alignment as accurate as possible (i.e. updates always work 100%) then it doesn't actually add anything to the experience. So until it does work I am suggesting my wing-mates just pretend that there's a GPS attached to it to keep it up to date as is probably the case on all modern fighters today (and I'd guess all updated M2Ks too) and leave it at that.

Thanks again to everyone for the information. It's helped us in the process of deciding what to do next and how to move forward. Very much appreciated.

That's interesting, I can spot the GPS antenna on strike variants (Mirage 2000D & Mirage 2000N), on export Mirage 2000-5/9 but not on upgraded French Mirage 2000-5F :music_whistling:

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

That's interesting, I can spot the GPS antenna on strike variants (Mirage 2000D & Mirage 2000N), on export Mirage 2000-5/9 but not on upgraded French Mirage 2000-5F :music_whistling:

Maybe that's because they're still waiting for Razbam to implement it :megalol:

• 2 months later...

INS (radar) update question.

Hi.

Is work or is it inaccurate (2.5 RC).

Please see this:

Im was hitting the buttons here, on this position + VAL.

B7HNU7M.jpg

When Im back (after the turn) the waypoint is... here:

01jwwp2.jpg

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

That's where the waypoint is. You would get the same relative position no matter how you performed the INS update. Look at the L/L on the PCN for that waypoint and then check F10 map.

If you say "waypoint would appear where I updated it even if it was wrong" then you understand how the module is different than real system.

Hi YoYo

At present the system isn't correctly implemented. So instead of using a broken (not implemented) system I suggest just turning off INS drift in the settings. This will keep waypoints in their correct position and will behave as if you have a GPS on-board keeping the INS aligned and correcting drift. Its the best we can do until whoever needs to do whatever decides to do it.

Hi YoYo

At present the system isn't correctly implemented. So instead of using a broken (not implemented) system I suggest just turning off INS drift in the settings. This will keep waypoints in their correct position and will behave as if you have a GPS on-board keeping the INS aligned and correcting drift. Its the best we can do until whoever needs to do whatever decides to do it.

Thx, good idea, I’ll do it.

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro