Introducing the DFDT Cockpit Project

Joe Kurr

A Suncom is a joy stick that was in production about 4 or 5 years ago...

It actually was a F-15 joy stick and had a split throttle,, just like a R/L F-15...

Well its no longer in production but a lot of virtual pilots still use them.. as with HPO's squadron..

Aeroscout do you have the goggle tool bar installed? Its really very good, it sits just above the explorer screen and you can search very easily.. You don't even have to leave the forum... :lol:

And another good thing is it has a built in spell checker.... :thumbup:

~S~

Blaze

No, I use mozila, so i dont have google toolbar.

The Suncom is an old HOTAS modelled after the F-15E.

Here you can see one which has already passed the 2000 flighthours mark :)

current-1.jpg

Ya, it looks worn, but not to the point of 2000 hours! :blink:

DCS Wishlist: 1) FIX THE DAMN RIVERS!!! 2) Spherical or cylindrical panorama view projection. 3) Enhanced input options (action upon button release, etc). 4) Aircraft flight parameter dump upon exit (stick posn, attitude, rates, accel, control volume, control-surface positions, SAS bias, etc). 5) ADS-33 maneuver courses as static objects. 6) Exposed API or exports of trim position and stick force for custom controllers. 7) Select auto multiple audio devices

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HPO : Have you ever heard about IOCard for your stand alone stick ? It's a great system, fully fonctionnal,cheap and easy programmable...

www.opencockpits.com

PS : You can send your doc, I'll translate it for you...

Specnaz: I've red your topic on check six, impressive stuff, is Nicegame the one you are building with?

The document you askt for can also by found on your topic, but only the panel buttons are explained in english

http://www.checksix-forums.com/showthread.php?t=111644&page=24

by jojo

I've got a good photo from -The System- he copiet it from a magazine and it also explains in english what the buttons are for, but I can always use a second opinion:)

:joystick:

The work you are doing is truly amazing, and I hope you succeed with the project. I will follow this thread closely :thumbup:

I dare not think of how much money (not to mention time) the finished product will cost you.

I want to get away, I wanna fly away.

Yeah, yeah, yeah!

- Lenny Kravitz - Fly Away

The work you are doing is truly amazing, and I hope you succeed with the project. I will follow this thread closely :thumbup:

I dare not think of how much money (not to mention time) the finished product will cost you.

Well, the designing is hobby of course, but material costs will be the greater part of the cost, and those are unfortunatly not cheap, the silicon for the molds is the most expensive one, but that will be spread out over a series of sticks of course.

At the moment I can not give you a cost estimate because I still haven't all the parts of the stick designed yet, and our company normally doesn't sell to private customers, so we have to make another price calculation as normal.

With some costs spread over more then one customer, that is not what we normally have to do.

And normally we garanty the customer that we can make 20 castings out of one mold, after that the mold gets worn out, but that also depends on the casting resin we use, because one resin is more corrosive for the molds then the other.

And of course I don't know what the demand will be for such a stick, but when i look at the pageviews of this thread :shocking:

This is what I think for the function of the stick

PICT0031small.jpg

Hmm, strange place for an autopilot button, but I think you are right because when I look at the text on the red left button the words look familiar :hmm:

the right button on the front of the stick has another function in the article photo, it says "Bring Level" Auto-Pilot engage Data- Link Couple. :huh:

mmm... not exactally how i would have mine layed out. That's why I like programing my X52

DCS Wishlist: 1) FIX THE DAMN RIVERS!!! 2) Spherical or cylindrical panorama view projection. 3) Enhanced input options (action upon button release, etc). 4) Aircraft flight parameter dump upon exit (stick posn, attitude, rates, accel, control volume, control-surface positions, SAS bias, etc). 5) ADS-33 maneuver courses as static objects. 6) Exposed API or exports of trim position and stick force for custom controllers. 7) Select auto multiple audio devices

At the moment we're concentrating on an add on for the Cougar and a stand-alone stick.

The Suncom proved much more difficult than we first thought, because it has quite a lot of logic in the grip, on a fairly large PCB, which doesn't fit in our grip.

The cougar also has some logic in the grip, but this is a simple and fairly straight-forward circuit, which can be built on a very small board.

This week I plan to finally build the base electronics of our stand-alone stick, I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Joe so if I understand your post correctly you are planning on developing 2 separate sticks..

And you're going to set them up exactly the way it would be in R/L.....

And from what I see you're beginning to get the needed information to make this become a reality...

I really hope that you go ahead with Cougar add on.. I've spent close to 700.00 USD to get it to where it's at now...

I've been on the Cougar Forums speaking with the mod builders in hopes that they would consider something along the these lines.... So now there finally seems to be something positive on the horizon....

But even if you decide to forgo the Cougar mod. I would certainly buy the stick even if its a stand alone....

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS ROG MAX VIII Extreme

G.Skill TridentZ Series 32 GB

Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SATA II

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

Joe so if I understand your post correctly you are planning on developing 2 separate sticks..

And you're going to set them up exactly the way it would be in R/L.....

And from what I see you're beginning to get the needed information to make this become a reality...

I really hope that you go ahead with Cougar add on.. I've spent close to 700.00 USD to get it to where it's at now...

I've been on the Cougar Forums speaking with the mod builders in hopes that they would consider something along the these lines.... So now there finally seems to be something positive on the horizon....

But even if you decide to forgo the Cougar mod. I would certainly buy the stick even if its a stand alone....

~S~

Blaze

Well, then this WIP screenshot will make you happy:)

Hollow%20stick.jpg

HPO...

Beautiful, simply beautiful.....

Thanks for the awesome update...

:thumbup:

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

Hollow%20stick.jpg

Ya, that's real cool. they should put that into mass production! (or maybe you should, you'd make all sorts of $$)

Well, the designing is hobby of course, but material costs will be the greater part of the cost, and those are unfortunatly not cheap, the silicon for the molds is the most expensive one, but that will be spread out over a series of sticks of course.

At the moment I can not give you a cost estimate because I still haven't all the parts of the stick designed yet, and our company normally doesn't sell to private customers, so we have to make another price calculation as normal.

And of course I don't know what the demand will be for such a stick, but when i look at the pageviews of this thread :shocking:

A friend of mine thought about building a cockpit once, and investigated what materials he would need for it. He came back to me with a pretty long face because of the high prices for buttons, switches etc. He certainly didn't expect such tiny parts to be so pricey.

What you are building consists not only of these small, cute parts (I'm thinking about the whole project, including the stick, cockpit panel, instruments etc), so I guess that you will at least have to pay $1000 or so. It will most likeliy be more. Just my guess of course. If people want to buy from you, then they would also have to add the shipping costs, and the package would be quite big, wouldn't it?

Anyway, I'm spending about $2000 on books, games etc each year, so it's just a matter of priority, really. Therefore, keep up the good work :thumbup:

Yeah, yeah, yeah!

By the way, I suppose many people are wondering if the stick will be as loose as the X52, or if it will be more "heavy" as the HOTAS or the Suncom F-15E Talon (I owned a Talon before it went to heaven, was very happy with it. Now I have an X52).

Most likely, it is too early in the project cycle to say, but maybe you have put some thought into this?

Yeah, yeah, yeah!

By the way, I suppose many people are wondering if the stick will be as loose as the X52, or if it will be more "heavy" as the HOTAS or the Suncom F-15E Talon (I owned a Talon before it went to heaven, was very happy with it. Now I have an X52).

Most likely, it is too early in the project cycle to say, but maybe you have put some thought into this?

We have yet to decide on the the springs we will use to center the stick.

We want the feeling to be similar to the Suncom, only with a longer stick, so the springs will need to be heavier (more like the Cougar)

Dutch Flanker Display Team | LLTM 2010 Tiger Spirit Award

Hollow%20stick.jpg

Actually the base in this shot is a Cougar.... So it for me this is great news.. It means that if and when the stick goes into production that I'll be able to plug it into my base with has the highly accurate "NXT" Mod.....

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

Actually the base in this shot is a Cougar.... So it for me this is great news.. It means that if and when the stick goes into production that I'll be able to plug it into my base with has the highly accurate "NXT" Mod.....

~S~

Blaze

Can you tell me how much such a NXT mod costs, or is IJ the only one I can ask:)

wait, so you mean, your just going to take a cougar, take off the shell, re-wire the buttons and put on your Su-27 stick shell?

Can you tell me how much such a NXT mod costs, or is IJ the only one I can ask:)

evenstrain1.jpg

eslites1-1.jpg

uber21.jpg

HPO : The last photo at the bottom is IJ's "NXT" mod ..

This was actually designed and is produced by him on a custom type of deal..

Its very expensive, but as you can see it's precision all the way...

The mod also has Hall sensors which never wear out because there's no moving parts.. So the last time looked the "NXT" was going for over 300.00 USD.. But it's well worth the price ...

The top 2 shots are of mods that are no longer available...

But I thought that you might find these interesting.. Oh and by the way they were about half the price of the "NXT", but you can see the difference...

I hope that this doesn't throw you off too much... :lol:

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

wait, so you mean, your just going to take a cougar, take off the shell, re-wire the buttons and put on your Su-27 stick shell?

The Cougar was designed with a removable stick handle.. Thrustmaster had originally planned on making the Cougar have an interchangeable handle ... It just unscrews from the base and you were supposed to be able to screw a different aircraft stick onto the base...

But this never actually happen I guess the cost developing another stick and putting it into production caused them to shelve the idea...

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

evenstrain1.jpg

eslites1-1.jpg

uber21.jpg

HPO : The last photo at the bottom is IJ's "NXT" mod ..

This was actually designed and is produced by him on a custom type of deal..

Its very expensive, but as you can see it's precision all the way...

The mod also has Hall sensors which never wear out because there's no moving parts.. So the last time looked the "NXT" was going for over 300.00 USD.. But it's well worth the price ...

The top 2 shots are of mods that are no longer available...

But I thought that you might find these interesting.. Oh and by the way they were about half the price of the "NXT", but you can see the difference...

I hope that this doesn't throw you off too much... :lol:

~S~

Blaze

Hehe, no worries

I have seen them all on frugals, and I know that they are no longer available (the top two ones) but I didn't know the todays price of the NXT.

Did he ever sold them without the hall sensors, because I didn't see them on the photo on the mods page on frugals.