Introducing the DFDT Cockpit Project

Joe Kurr

Nice. I'm actually interested in the stick. are you going to mod an existing stick? or are you going to make one from scrach?

DCS Wishlist: 1) FIX THE DAMN RIVERS!!! 2) Spherical or cylindrical panorama view projection. 3) Enhanced input options (action upon button release, etc). 4) Aircraft flight parameter dump upon exit (stick posn, attitude, rates, accel, control volume, control-surface positions, SAS bias, etc). 5) ADS-33 maneuver courses as static objects. 6) Exposed API or exports of trim position and stick force for custom controllers. 7) Select auto multiple audio devices

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice. I'm actually interested in the stick. are you going to mod an existing stick? or are you going to make one from scrach?

The plan is to use a Suncom F15 Talon stick and make a converter and connector to fit the "flanker" mod., same thing goes for the X45/52 Saitek stick.

Intel Core i5-9600K, Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO, 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 WINDFORCE 8G

Ok, cool. are you going to have to wire the buttons to it too?

DCS Wishlist: 1) FIX THE DAMN RIVERS!!! 2) Spherical or cylindrical panorama view projection. 3) Enhanced input options (action upon button release, etc). 4) Aircraft flight parameter dump upon exit (stick posn, attitude, rates, accel, control volume, control-surface positions, SAS bias, etc). 5) ADS-33 maneuver courses as static objects. 6) Exposed API or exports of trim position and stick force for custom controllers. 7) Select auto multiple audio devices

well, i'm interested with it's turn out. I'm also interested on how the "twisted" stick will work. (Is it more comfortable or something? what's it like? i'll bet it harms flying with your left hand if you want to press buttons with your right.)

well, i'm interested with it's turn out. I'm also interested on how the "twisted" stick will work. (Is it more comfortable or something? what's it like? i'll bet it harms flying with your left hand if you want to press buttons with your right.)

I don't think it will be less comfortable to hold with your left hand, compared to a standard joystick placed in the middle.

Most of the time you'd be operating the buttons with your left hand anyway, since you don't have to hold your hand on the throttle all the time.

If you look at some in-cockpit videos from the Russian Knights, Swifts or Kvochur's Test Pilot Team, you can see they never let go of the stick, and operate the instruments with their left hand.

Dutch Flanker Display Team | LLTM 2010 Tiger Spirit Award

Ya, but that involves reaching across your body... well, its not that hard, I see your point.

what are you going to do interms of looking out of the cockpit when flying? there is no "HUD only" view, so I would assume you would soom all the way into the HUD? or are there going to be multipal monitors?

As a matter of fact, there is some kind of HUD only view.

Just hit Alt-F1 and your cockpit is gone, except for the HUD.

But I don't think I'll be using this function, because it also hides the mirrors etc.

So most likely we will be flying with both our hardware cockpit and the ingame virtual cockpit visible, on a single monitor using TrackIR for looking around.

he he he... so you'll be looking at two cockpits. that's going to be wierd.

he he he... so you'll be looking at two cockpits. that's going to be wierd.

Well, we can choose to build the cockpit without the hud, or make a

detacheble one, so for show purpose the hud in place and in game we

remove it, i have seen this on a F16 pit, and it's a solution i can live with.

Somebody else have some good ideas?

( i think the multiple screens are going to be to expensive:) )

Intel Core i5-9600K, Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO, 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 WINDFORCE 8G

Or you coul buy some uber huge one and place it just behind the front pannel and have to outlins of bothe the physical cockpit and the virtual one line up. Bu then looking arround with Track IR wont work as well.

I have once seen a very nice and original solution:

Someone made a concave screen which filled his entire field of view (110 degrees or so) and set up his ingame field of view accordingly.

No need for a TrackIR anymore, since he could look around just like in an real cockpit.

Maybe we could build that too one day...

panels

As promised some more detail pictures:

web1xp3.jpg

The Cyrillic tekst was printed on selfadhesive foil (GerberEdge printer).

web2pn0.jpg

web3rv4.jpg

Thanks for watching, next time some more pictures.

See ya

I have once seen a very nice and original solution:

Someone made a concave screen which filled his entire field of view (110 degrees or so) and set up his ingame field of view accordingly.

No need for a TrackIR anymore, since he could look around just like in an real cockpit.

Maybe we could build that too one day...

Ya, i wasn't going to propose that solution because it would cost a tone of $$$!

I think I'll be dropping the keyboard interface after all, and switch to usb instead.

I have been doing some research into microcontrollers during the last few days, and I think that's the way to go.

Yesterday I found a way to create our own HOTAS, complete with dual throttle and rudder pedals, all using one controller.

If I can find enough time this week I'll build a test version.

When this works, it will be possible to integrate the entire HOTAS seamlessly into the cockpit.

I had a chat with HPO yesterday, and he will be making a small series of Flanker grips for those who are interested.

This may take a while though, because he is still designing it (not an easy task without any blueprints)

@ xplight:

Yes, I have plans to build an HDD, at least some data for it can be exported from Lockon.

At the moment I'm concentrating on the input part though, it's easier and less expensive to build than all the gauges, displays, etc :)

When I'm done with this part I think I will be ready to build the instruments.

I had a chat with HPO yesterday, and he will be making a small series of Flanker grips for those who are interested.

This may take a while though, because he is still designing it (not an easy task without any blueprints)

Flanker Grips, I've been waiting for someone to take on this endeavor for quite a while now.. I wanted to do it myself but its beyond me at present .....

Please let me know when you have something started I'd like to follow the progress all the way through.. I mean only if you have the time and the inclination that is... :D

Thanks

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS ROG MAX VIII Extreme

G.Skill TridentZ Series 32 GB

Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SATA II

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

Since it's on such a smooth surface, won't the gray paint scratching off be an issue?

No i don't think so, because it's a 2 components paint used on cars.

But a little scratch only looks like it's used, i even plan to do some

weathering on the panel.

Weather stays OUTSIDE the cockpit, hope that helps your flying career :D

Not if you open the canopy ;)

But seriously, if you look at pictures of the real instrument panels, and compare them to the one Wasserfall is making, you can see that our panel is looking way too new.

Weathering it makes it more realistic.

Not if you open the canopy ;)

But seriously, if you look at pictures of the real instrument panels, and compare them to the one Wasserfall is making, you can see that our panel is looking way too new.

Weathering it makes it more realistic.

Surely you would get that effect from general use anyway? its not as though you're going to keep this inside a glass box when its finished? (well i sure as hell hope not! :D)

Today I ordered the parts I need to build our customized HOTAS.

I expect them by Monday or Tuesday, hope it will work as planned.

When ready we will have a fully functional flightstick, dual throttle and rudder pedals, all in one usb game controller.

If all goes well, I'll have a working prototype with me at the LLTM.