TGP Point Track and AGM-65H Unreliable

Nooch

After several flights I've noticed that using point track on the TGP was very much unreliable. Sometimes it tracks properly but it often doesn't.

With the AGM-65H it's a similar kind of problem. On some flights the seeker works like a charm and locks targets with ease but on other flights it just won't achieve lock no matter how hard you try. Anybody experiencing this as well?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AGM lock is highly based on the contrast of the image. If contrast is too low, you can't get a lock.

Not quite true; Mavericks lock onto objects, and not contrast. That's why you can't lock up a tank wreck after destroying it. That's why you can't lock onto shadows, and other things. That's in DCS of course, in real life you'd be correct.

• 2 weeks later...
After several flights I've noticed that using point track on the TGP was very much unreliable. Sometimes it tracks properly but it often doesn't.

With the AGM-65H it's a similar kind of problem. On some flights the seeker works like a charm and locks targets with ease but on other flights it just won't achieve lock no matter how hard you try. Anybody experiencing this as well?

I'm experiencing this very thing, but only with the H variant maverick. The contrast on the seeker CCD is pretty bad but I can barely see the target when i get pretty close. Even then I cannot get a lock, though.

Today I noticed I finally could get it to lock, but way outside the range staple - within 1.5 miles. Missile does fire and hits the target so I guess that's good. Don't know why it only locks so close and outside the range staple but at least it worked.

May be of note the mission is at night, but the target area is lit up bright with flares. I'm also using 2.5 beta in VR.

I had the similar issue with the A10 in one of the night misisons for the advanced maple flag campaign.

Can't see crap at night and was required to destroy a tank with the H model maverick to pass.

I never was able to get a lock but I was able to use force correlation mode to fire the maverick. Switch to force correlation mode by moving the contrast switch forward or aft, then center position. You should see the Maverick crosshairs turn black. Wait 2 seconds, point nose at Target and fire.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Today I noticed I finally could get it to lock, but way outside the range staple - within 1.5 miles. Missile does fire and hits the target so I guess that's good. Don't know why it only locks so close and outside the range staple but at least it worked.

Yup, DCS does not simulate Maverick launch restrictions. Normally you'd need to be in range, above a minimum altitude (very low though, something like 200 ft) and seeker no more than 15° away from boresight to get a hit.

Define "daytime." The DCS maverick H's definition may be more narrow than your own. ;)

It must be very narrow then because I'm having problems with them even in bright daylight at 2PM... :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It must be very narrow then because I'm having problems with them even in bright daylight at 2PM... :D

didn't you know, it is a noon weapons 5 minutes earlier or later and you cannot use it anymore [JOKE]

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

I had the similar issue with the A10 in one of the night misisons for the advanced maple flag campaign.

Can't see crap at night and was required to destroy a tank with the H model maverick to pass.

I never was able to get a lock but I was able to use force correlation mode to fire the maverick. Switch to force correlation mode by moving the contrast switch forward or aft, then center position. You should see the Maverick crosshairs turn black. Wait 2 seconds, point nose at Target and fire.

That's exactly the mission I was referring to. Finally finished it today. Frustrating to say the least using the H on that first tank, then knowing I'd have to use another for the convoy. Spotty at best but turned out epic as after I gunned down the rest of the convoy, all I had left was that last tank and an H on deck. Pressure.

Didn't want to waste time with the TGP and have him escape into the darkness so made a quick circle to gain distance, lined her up on the HUD, got almost an immediate lock and quick pickle to finish him off. It was pretty cool and really close range -- no one in the house here cares, so feels good to share it here. :laugh:

So, in the end it worked but I'd steer clear of H for sure.

That's exactly the mission I was referring to. Finally finished it today. Frustrating to say the least using the H on that first tank, then knowing I'd have to use another for the convoy. Spotty at best but turned out epic as after I gunned down the rest of the convoy, all I had left was that last tank and an H on deck. Pressure.

Didn't want to waste time with the TGP and have him escape into the darkness so made a quick circle to gain distance, lined her up on the HUD, got almost an immediate lock and quick pickle to finish him off. It was pretty cool and really close range -- no one in the house here cares, so feels good to share it here.

So, in the end it worked but I'd steer clear of H for sure.

This one took me forever because once I figured out I could get that tank with force correlation mode, I could lock on to the convoy with the last two mavericks. But the rest of the convoy took me forever because there was one more tank and a crap load of soft vehicles. But the illimunation flares kept going out and then I couldn't see the left over targets. Had to use my nvg's and even then I finished it by a hair of the left over time period.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

I experienced the same, with the D's. I made a mission with a truck driving on a road, winter Caucasus. It wouldn't lock in point mode. However, after I switched the mav screen from whot to bhot and vice versa, I could get a lock on the moving target.. Furthermore zooming out a bit (so not completely zoomed in) seemed to help..