Need advice on new laptop for DCS 2.5

I'm going to buy a new laptop for DCS 2.5. Old one is 4yrs old and not up to the task. Budget is around $2500. I've done some comparisons and am trying to decide between these two:

ALIENWARE 17

Processor: Intel i7-7820HK (Quad Core), 8MB Cache, Overclock up to 4.4 GHz

Graphics: GTX 1080 with 8GB GDDR5

Memory: 32GB DDR4 @ 2400 MHz

Dual Drives: 512GB SSD and 1TB SATA (storage)

Screen: 17.3 inch (2560x1440) 60Hz

HP Omen X 17T

Processor: Same except only up to 3.9 GHz

Graphics: Same

Memory: Same

Dual Drives: Same

Screen: 17.3 inch (1920x1080) 120Hz

The HP is around $300 cheaper. Any suggestions on what I should prioritize? Goal is to run 2.5 at max settings w/out issues. I dont use VR. Thanks.

For me and if the $300 wasn't a thing 2560 *1440 and 0.5Ghz higher clock would be my choice. :music_whistling:

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

That's a beast of a laptop the top one, wow

2500 is cheap, is that USD? The 1070 that I see listed in AUD is 3500!!

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

That's a beast of a laptop the top one, wow

2500 is cheap, is that USD? The 1070 that I see listed in AUD is 3500!!

Yes, USD. It's currently "on sale" (there's always some sort of promotion) and there's a $300 rebate bringing it down to that price.

Can anyone say with any confidence that the computer specs listed above will be able to run DCS at max settings without any issue?

MO' MHz !

If you go laptop and dont wanna regret it you have to go All-In, get the Alienware.

My Tip: Get the Extra Care for 4 years as well. I had to use that on mine twice, first the SLI cards failed, then, 1 day before 4y was over it died. Dell paid me 1.000€ cash back for returning the device. Good deal !

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

My Tip: Get the Extra Care for 4 years as well. I had to use that on mine twice, first the SLI cards failed, then, 1 day before 4y was over it died. Dell paid me 1.000€ cash back for returning the device. Good deal !

Ok, thanks for the advice. The Alienware processor is advertised as "overclock up to 4.4 GHz". Since you've owned their computers before, does this mean they overclock it to that spec before shipping or is that for me to do once receiving the computer?

to my best knowledge, they come pre-overclocked.

In any case, you can call them 24/7 and ask or get help.

The one I had wasn't overclocked back then and my buddies either, so I can only assume it's pre-configured.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Hi,

I fly DCS exclusively on a laptop as I’m usually on solar power.

Plenty of people have lots to say about laptops being not suitable for DCS. It’s true that a desktop for the same money will out perform a laptop, but you can run DCS perfectly well on a laptop if you’re happy to accept some compromise. You will just have to experiment a little to see what settings work, as there is less headroom with performance. It seems even the guys running the specced up, overclocked desktops are having to make compromises too, just not as many...

My budget only stretched to a 1060 with a Core i7-7700HQ, and I’ve been running DCS on VR perfectly adequately on a borrowed Vive.

I personally keep an eye on laptop reviews which rate laptops on performance. It’s incredible how 2 identically specced laptops can differ in performance by so much.

I’d check out the ASUS RoG Strix GL502VS-GZ233T. It punches well above it’s price point and runs a 1070. If the budget allows, check out the Aorus X7 DT v7. Even better with a 1080 onboard. The Omen’s are punching above their price point too, but there is a great variety on spec, so choose carefully.

I notice the MSI’s don’t quite perform as well as their spec suggests for some reason... I notice the same thing with the Alienware laptops too for what it’s worth... One last thing, if you can, go with a bigger chassis as they use more modular components, some of which can be upgraded. The bigger chassis allow for better cooling and let the GPU boost up to higher speeds and sit there more happily.

Because I’m a little limited on budget I often buy the “no name” brands with the better spec. You won’t get the build quality, but you’ll often be able to customise for a better spec on the internals.

Good luck, and I hope this helps.

pngflyer

Edited by pngflyer

Look at reviews. Raw specs have little meaning for laptops.

Pay attention to cooling. Most laptops will not maintain their advertised boost speeds due to thermal throttling.

Think about the display quality. Look at features such as G-Sync and refresh rate. On a relatively small display, 1080p at 120 Hz might feel better while gaming than 1440 or 4K at 60 Hz.