VKB MK IV T-Rudder New Owners and Veterans Q&A

Weedwacker

not everything that is in the real aircraft, can be implemented to the simulator in a room. As there are no same forces and controls in play like in real aircraft, so the controls needs to be more accurate, smoother, support finer controls and maintain a relaxed sitting in multiple kind chairs.

Thank you for such a nice post, and especially for understanding the above.

It is indeed a tricky balance between visual and tactile similarity. Game controls should look as close to real ones as possible, but should they feel the same? - no definite answer... Moreover, in many applications sticking to "real feeling" would simply make gaming immersion much too tiring, and paradoxically less "realistic".

:joystick:

>

Best Regards from VKB Lair,

AeroGator

• 3 weeks later...

In Stock

Hi.

Ive waited for the Rudders to be available for about two months now. I also used the "notify me"-button.

Today I checked the store and finally they are on stock again!

My order is already placed!

If you dont want to wait for a long time again, I suggest to order fast...

BTW: the notify-email has not arrived yet....

Hopefully soon I can go back to flying the Tomcat again. Tomcat without rudders is just no fun....

Edited by Wali763

I arrived back from a business trip to find my VKB MK IVs waiting for me. I like the premium packaging, simple instructions and look of the product itself. They were set up very quickly by following the clear instructions and plugging them into my VKB Gladiator stick. My first tryout in DCS put a big smile on my face. I now wish I had got them much earlier. Having only tried some plastic rudder pedals years ago I had been put off the idea until now. I also expected I would need time to adjust from having used a twist stick for years but it is natural and intuitive. The VKB MK IVs are a quality product. Well done VKB!

Rig: RTX 4080, 11th Gen Intel Core i7 11700K, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 3xSSD Drives, TM F/A18 Grip on Virpil WarBrd base, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, VKB-Sim T Rudder Pedals MkIV, Virpil MongoosT-50CM throttle, Varjo Aero.

• 3 weeks later...

In IL-2 Sturmovik (Bo'X'?) virtual "toe brakes" is nativelly implemented, so is just matter of set a button or axis lever for "wheel brakes" and use together with rudder movements for achieve "differential brakes".

For DCS if you use T-Rudder standalone need use the software T-Link for "differential brakes" emulation. Several post about how set there and in VKB forum.

If use T-Rudder plugged in same "black box"controller of Gunfigher need load a profile - through VKB DevCFG software, that include the real axis (rudder) of T-Rudder and the two virtual axes for brakes creating a unique device for Windows/games.

I think this is the most comprehensive topic about this last option:

http://forum.vkb-sim.pro/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=3570

DerFangzahn, were you able to resolve getting DCS to recognize the toe brakes? I managed to get them to work today in IL-2 Sturmovik but not in DCS.

See my post here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3969939&postcount=21

I'm sure that's what it is. It's not documented anywhere that I can tell (except some forum post I dug up somewhere), but virtual brakes did not work until I did that.

i7 6700k @ 4.6, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, 32GB DDR4 2666, GTX 1070, Rift S | MS Sidewinder FFB2 w/ TM F-22 Pro Grip, TM TWCS Throttle, VKB T-Rudder Mk. IV

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Can I get some help on the dimensions and weight of the box that they come in? I live in India, and want to order to my daughters college in the US. Dont want to land her with a humongous and heavy box.

I don't have the box handy, but it's a very small cardboard box, not much bigger and taller than the rudders themselves. They come partially disassembled to make them even flatter. I was surprised by how small the package was.

i7 6700k @ 4.6, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, 32GB DDR4 2666, GTX 1070, Rift S | MS Sidewinder FFB2 w/ TM F-22 Pro Grip, TM TWCS Throttle, VKB T-Rudder Mk. IV

I didn't want to lose any axis on my MCG Pro so just using a button on the throttle for the American brakes and the lever on the stick for the Russians.

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

I don't have the box handy, but it's a very small cardboard box, not much bigger and taller than the rudders themselves. They come partially disassembled to make them even flatter. I was surprised by how small the package was.

deepakvrao

T-Rudder box is very compact, dimensions and weight Amazon.com (Imperial system).

Package Dimensions 17.6 x 9.6 x 3.7 inches

Weight 6.23 pounds

Thanks guys.

• 1 month later...

Hi.

Im having problems, setting up my virtual toebrakes. Up to now, I didnt need them, but now Id like to use them to making taxiing with the WW2-planes at bit more "straight"....

I managed to get to see Windows two more axis, when I press the set joystickbutton, but then both axis go to 100%. When I then press one pedal, this one stays at 100% and the other goes to 0%. See pic.

Is this correct?

But how do I set this up in DCS? I tried on the axis-page to use it with left and right toebrake, but that did not work.

When setup correctly, will I only have a either 100% or 0% brake (which would be quite the same as with pressing the two buttons for toebrake) or can I make smaller adjustments too?

Maybe someone can help?

2.jpg.6f27ca31969d311e4da6bf3dfcdc27a7.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Today I unplugged my hub (where my T-rudders and the TM Wh and also TrackIR are connected to) and after that had to change the controlsettings of the T-rudders again. Already had this once before (after I installed the profile for toebrakes, that I actually never got to work)

When I opend the controller-settings in DCS there were again 4 entries for the T-rudders and I had to delete them all again and set the rudders right again.

Anyone know, how I can set this in the DevConfig, that I only get offered one axis (the rudder axis)???

VKB.thumb.jpg.3da4f4c3df2a7070d0ff2ef041ad4aad.jpg

If you want use T-Rudder "differential brakes" emulation you need use T-Link software.

T-Rudder default profile have some unnecessary axis, you can hidden then.

In DevCFG > PROFILE > AXES un-tick the boxes En and Vs for unused axes

En = Enabled

Vs = Visible

You need one axis for Rudder, and two for T-Link virtual "differential brakes", look in Test fo active axes.

• 4 weeks later...

Does my joystick have to be a VKB stick to setup virtual toe brakes (for DCS p51)?

I don't have a vkb stick, just the VKB MkIV pedals, I am wondering if its possible to get virtual brakes to work using my tm warthog.

Intel i7-10700k, 32GB DDR4, GTX 1080 8GB, 1TB NVMe SSD, LG32GK850G 2560x1440 Monitor, Noctua u12a cooler

I made virtual toe brakes in DCS itself to be used with MCG grip lever.

Soviet style:

1) configure VKB pedals to have two virtual buttons in its axis. You have always full axis movement but as well virtual button press on direction you press pedal.

2) go to DCS and set those two virtual buttons as modifiers.

3) set the modifiers paired with the brake lever in grip to corresponding sides braking. So want to brake on left pedal, slightly press left pedal and control braking force with grip lever.

West style:

1) set MCG lever have virtual button in first zone of pull or as wanted.

2) program that virtual button in brake lever as modifier.

3) set in DCS the braking axis as pedals + modifier button. Now you can just touch braking lever and use pedals as braking specific side, while braking lever operates both pedals as well.

No need to have extra buttons or software running as VKB blackbox takes care itself of all with virtual buttons and axis.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

For the west style planes when you said the "braking axis" do you mean the left wheel axis, right wheel axis, or the both wheel axis?

All three.

I can brake separately with left and right with pedals, or I can brake both with the grip lever.

So if I need to apply left pedal brake, I squeeze just tiny bit the grip lever to activate modifier key, and then I press left pedal by amount I want to brake force to be. If I want to apply both braking pedals, I use just the grip lever to control them. And the grip lever resolution is so high that it can sense when you just rest hand on it slightly. So it can be used as modifier key.

As the VKB pedals has just one axis, it is mechanically impossible to press both sides down as it swivels around the axis.

One way could as well program the flip trigger to work as switch between brakes and normal pedals, so flip up and pedals are brakes and lever is both. Flip down and you have both brakes on lever and pedals operate normally.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

According to VKB tech support, T-Link only works with VKB hardware, it does not recognize others sticks.

Thanks Fri13, but I don't have the MCG, I have the warthog.

I was able to figure out how to make virtual axes for the two sides of the pedals, when I push left, and right each has their own axis in addition to the rudder axis. This works for taxing and takeoff okay. I have a button on the stick set for both wheel brakes for landing. I have also figured out that DCS has option to add one of the joystick buttons as modifier in case i find a situation where i need rudder control but don't want wheel brakes at the same time (maybe takeoff?). Only problem with using modifier is it doesn't let you dual purpose it. I would like to use the same button I have for the "both brakes" to double as the left/right axis modifier.

As it without having a modifier I was able to takeoff in the p51, with brakes tied to virtual 2 axes based on the rudder

Edited by XAiracobraX

Intel i7-10700k, 32GB DDR4, GTX 1080 8GB, 1TB NVMe SSD, LG32GK850G 2560x1440 Monitor, Noctua u12a cooler

According to VKB tech support, T-Link only works with VKB hardware, it does not recognize others sticks.

Curious they claim this, I have used T.16000M and Saitek Cyborg button for press "wheel brakes" in T-Link, with T-Rudder Mk.II.

Neither T-Link manual say this. http://ftp.vkb-sim.pro/Documentations/T_Link_En.pdf

I have also figured out that DCS has option to add one of the joystick buttons as modifier in case i find a situation where i need rudder control but don't want wheel brakes at the same time (maybe takeoff?).

Yes, in some DCS warbirds is not good idea press right or left wheel brake in takeoff run. :))

Edited by Sokol1_br

Okay after working a bit I finally got the firmware updated to be able to use T-link, and yes it DOES work with my warthog stick as modifier to vkb pedals. I don't understand why they said it doesn't, thanks for your help

• 2 weeks later...

Can you brake using two brakes? example in the landing? how work?

L'importante non è stabilire se uno ha paura o meno, è saper convivere con la propria paura e non farsi condizionare dalla stessa. Ecco, il coraggio è questo, altrimenti non è più coraggio ma incoscienza.

Can you brake using two brakes? example in the landing? how work?

Yes, but you don't get true axis control. If you hold the brake button and the rudders are neutral, the virtual axis will slowly increase in input, which gives you a kind of pseudo-axis: longer you hold the button, the greater the brake strength. Then if you move the rudders while holding the button, you get a true axis for each individual brake.