Please bring back object size settings!

Greekbull

I just did a test and I can barely spot two MiG-29S with smoky engines on 3 miles distance. I have to know where they are and then zoom in max to see them.

So the fix is not large object size settings but "realistic object size settings" because bringing back the big object size settings from the past is unrealistic as get all!

If this setting is coming back, it should be the exception, not the norm.

"There are only two types of aircraft, Fighters and Targets." Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In real world cockpit, you can't see a plane few miles away, let alone 22 miles away. When in actual cockpit, planes beyond 5-8 miles appear nothing more than a blurred dot. Use radar when flying. When in visual range, look, and you will see the actual plane.

I actually challenge anyone who sat in a cockpit say that they can see another plane beyond six miles on a clear day with no clouds. There is visual range beyond which the human eye can not see.

Learn to use the radar detection system on the jets. Without that knowledge, you are simply inviting a missile in your cockpit.

It is rationally unfair to be asking for ways to visually see planes 22 miles away from you.

Thank you TerraFinale!

To all, let's keep DCS a realistic as possible sim first and in default settings, and make any arcade functions an option at best...Cheers!

"There are only two types of aircraft, Fighters and Targets." Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

For reference, using a 35'' ultrawide at 3440x1440 I spotted another Harrier at 8nm. He was a speck, but a Harrier at approximately 8nm would be.

On initial sighting, I was at a normalish FoV, i.e. I don't zoom far out but try to have the cockpit at something approximating true scale, ie I have to look down to see all but the top few gauges. Object was just above horizon and barely visible. Again, a Harrier at 8nm WOULD be ''barely'' visible if at all.

At closer ranges I was spotting ground targets out to at least a couple miles, although it varied a lot depending on the object in question. Some have LoDs to further ranges than others.

I spotted a pair of Ka-50s initially at close range, and sporadically tracked them, to be expected when traveling an order of magnitude faster and them diving for the deck. Range varied from a few hundred meters to looping above them and extending for 1-2 miles in a hammerhead and diving on them to make a kill.

Personal conclusion :

High resolution is a nonissue provided you're not running 4k on a sub 30'' screen. If your resolution is appropriate for your monitor size, as is your FoV (give or take) it's not all that bad by any means.

In my assessment most ''technical'' spotting issues are due to funky LoDs (a confirmed and undeniable issue as they wink in and out of existence, outright derendering, this mostly affects older cruder 3d models as far as I can see).

A close second contributor is contrast of objects against the background. I personally made considerable improvements to spotting by tweaking ingame Gamma and my monitors brightneas/contrast settings. A lot of calibration software is available, I suggest using it.

Beyond these technical issues, I'd say the issues are going to be personal, ie running suboptimal settings, FoV, too high res on too small monitor and sitting too far away, etc, and the ever present ''skill'' factor. Yes, it takes practice and an intelligent methodology, believe it or not, as well as a high degree of alertness.

Ending thoughts:

Better/more color/contrast controls would be helpful for people too lazy to use their monitor controls or GPU profiles.

Improved and consistent LoDs so one tank doesn't wink out of existence while the one beside it does not.

Perhaps a ''FoV'' calibration? ''Tweak the slider until object A is 4'' long'' so people KNOW if their FoV is right or not.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

• 2 months later...

I was looking at coming back after an 8 year hiatus, I can see the scaling issue is still present. I was griping about back in the Lock On 1.02 days of 2004. Link below for a reference of what I'm talking about, at minute 2:05. The perspective is about 30% zoomed out from what you can actually see when flying a Hornet. You can't see that much of the HUD projector and the top of the HUD camera unless your seat is too high.

I guess the best estimate of what the sizing should be in your FOV (I can't tell how it looks in VR as I don't even have a set up anymore, let alone a rift) is to put both your hands out in front of you side by side. That's about the size of the HUD. Each side of the pitch ladders should be about 2/3rds the length of your middle finger, and a MiG or a Hornet are about the size of a pitch ladder at 1500ft. The game looks zoomed out in to an almost fish-eye view compared to the real thing.

If you've got VR, give me your feedback on how it compares to the above. I don't want to get back in to this if it still doesn't look right.

3Sqn - Largest distributor of Flanker, Fulcrum and Frogfoot parts in the Black Sea Region

I was looking at coming back after an 8 year hiatus, I can see the scaling issue is still present.

There is no scaling issue. Use true fov and you'll see what you should see. Same is used in VR.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

There is no scaling issue. Use true fov and you'll see what you should see. Same is used in VR.

Is that a new feature that's been implemented in the last few years? I've not seen the game in VR so I can't really tell what it's like from the youtube vids.

3Sqn - Largest distributor of Flanker, Fulcrum and Frogfoot parts in the Black Sea Region

The feature is called zoom. You control fov with it. True fov is when you set it so that you see the HUD on your monitor just the same angular size as if you were sitting in real aircraft. That way other objects appear correctly as well.

In VR it is set for you - otherwise the head tracking and view would not appear natural.

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

Im convinced there are scaling issues. Try sitting in DCS: Su-27 on the ramp. In both 2D and VR the perception like you are sitting very close to the ground. Does the DCS map scale exactly to the DCS models? Feels like there is a disconnect between the two. Same at altitude, 30 000 feet

in DCS does not come of as being up at high altitude.

ps.

Just for fun. Try placing infantry next to a fuel truck. That might be a model issue,

but still pretty fun stuff :D

Just for fun. Try placing infantry next to a fuel truck. That might be a model issue,

but still pretty fun stuff :D

The big fuel trucks that are on airports are tiny compared to UH-1H. You are almost taller than those big KAMAZ trucks that transport even ICBM or S-400 missiles....

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

The feature is called zoom. You control fov with it. True fov is when you set it so that you see the HUD on your monitor just the same angular size as if you were sitting in real aircraft. That way other objects appear correctly as well.

In VR it is set for you - otherwise the head tracking and view would not appear natural.

You don’t understand my point. Anyone else want to try?

You don’t understand my point. Anyone else want to try?

Looking at your post here

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4264446&postcount=130

Your issue is with the FOV and doesn’t seem to be related to “scaling”

These sims sometime do tricks to enable you to see the cockpit on a PC screen. Don’t know if that’s the case here, they probably just want the HUD to be visible for players without head tracking.

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Try sitting in DCS: Su-27 on the ramp.

Try placing infantry next to a fuel truck...

I don't know what you're talking about. Any screens you have?

This is one from sitting in Su-27. The other is infantry next to a static tanker.

Huey is 4.39m tall. MAZ truck is 2.9m.

scale1.thumb.jpg.dc7a71348fc2c06b9db7f531cf8c4656.jpg

scale2.thumb.jpg.29f7c4e14fe64930dac128c8d95b19ad.jpg

scale3.thumb.jpg.960f61450a17f9e3f9baf5dcceb1c9d2.jpg

Edited by draconus