Su-27 & Porpoise/bouncy landings

Just my curiousity

I just downloaded some Su-27 videos, mostly from youtube and flightlevel 350.

It seems that most of the Su-27's in the video always have a bit bouncy touchdowns. Well maybe not to the point of destroying the gears.

Is there an aerodynamic cause to this? The rubber tires? Shock absorbers? or something else?

:)

The most stupid member in the forum

Ground hangling does contribute to the good feel yes. The bouncy landing can only be found on the Su-25 aircraft because they have all the scientific physics under their belt. Unfortunatly for all other aircraft its only scripted on only 1 axis. ED already announced that any next future SIM's will have the Su-25 type of modeling thus, bouncy ground handling will be automaticaly achieved once they implement suspention data on the landing gears of those aircraft be it MIG SU or F-15/16.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

. . . . and to actually answer the question, yes the Su27 does bounce on landing, as do most fast jets. You don't see this in Lomac for the reasons Pilotasso gives.

The landing gear is effectively a damped spring, to absorb the vertical velocity of the aircraft when it comes into contact with the runway.

It's just not perfectly damped, so you still do get a bit of bounce.

I assume this is not going to be in black shark.

DCS Wishlist: 1) FIX THE DAMN RIVERS!!! 2) Spherical or cylindrical panorama view projection. 3) Enhanced input options (action upon button release, etc). 4) Aircraft flight parameter dump upon exit (stick posn, attitude, rates, accel, control volume, control-surface positions, SAS bias, etc). 5) ADS-33 maneuver courses as static objects. 6) Exposed API or exports of trim position and stick force for custom controllers. 7) Select auto multiple audio devices

An online in Lomac- you even get to play submarine on landings. Especially on the carrier where it's perfect in cockpit, but the guys already on deck see 1/2 your plane burrowing into the hangar bay... at least animate the tensioning of the wires, sheesh. (that used to work in earlier versions)

I agree, Sarge. I don't usually see this at work, but I hear it on occasion. I'll be working in a shelter near the East end of runway 28, and I'll hear "Chirp...chirp.........chirp", and its always someone who landed with too high an airspeed. The aircraft is not quite ready to stop flying yet, so any springing action of the gear puts it back in the air briefly. If you land at the right speed, its fairly difficult to bounce, even with a really high sink rate. I watched a flight of Marine Corps F/A-18Cs land on runway 17, and I was pretty much right next to the landing threshhold. These guys stayed true to the Navy/Marine Corps mantra that "flaring to land is like squatting to pee" and slammed their Hornets down. Out of the four aircraft that landed in rapid succession, not a single bounce. :thumbup:

When I was an active duty at MCAS Cherry PT. I was assigned to runway watch an occasion ...

Sometimes we would have to man the arresting gear position on the runway in the wee hours of the morning, assisting the pilots in practicing carrier landing...

There was the occasion where the pilot would actually miss the wave off and come in to fast missing no 4 wire, bounce and have to go to full power to recover and take back off for another go round..

This only happend an 2 occasions in the short time that I spent with that outfit, but lets just say it was very unnerving...

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS ROG MAX VIII Extreme

G.Skill TridentZ Series 32 GB

Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SATA II

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

...MIG SU or F-15/16.

F-16 ?...nice 2 hear it :smilewink: ...I hope also :pilotfly:

Atop the midnight tarmac,

a metal beast awaits.

To be flown below the radar,

to bring the enemy his fate.

HAVE A BANDIT DAY !

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"When I'm working on a problem, I never think about beauty. I think only how to solve the problem. But when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong." - R. Buckminster Fuller (1895 - 1983), American Architect, Author, Designer, Inventor, and Futurist

As someone who has bounced jets more times than I should admit, bounces are caused by numerous factors: 1) the most common, flaring through the landing. I've watched plenty of Russian videos and they show a tendancy for Su and MiG pilots to really pump the stick those last few feet. 2) Carrying Power through the landing. At high AOA, power creates lift. That CL plus the CL generated by the wing amplify Newton's third law when the wheels hit. 3) Hitting at a high rate of descent--Newton's third again, and 4) Touching down at a speed that results in a touchdown AOA that is considerably lower than the designed Reference AOA.

Another factor that is pure conjecture on my part is that perhaps Russian designs are built with very substantial landing gear to accomodate rough landing surfaces. Newton's third law once again.

Smokin' Hole

Smokin' Hole

My DCS wish list: Su25, Su30, Mi24, AH1, F/A-18C, Afghanistan ...and frankly, the flight sim world should stop at 1995.

Remember that video with the su-33 with proper landing moddeling (ok, it looked X-plane-ish: lots of travel, but eh, it was ok), the one where you had black wingtip smoke and a Cobra, immediately followed by a landing?

So it was there at one moment during beta testing (as was the AFM for the su-25), but it got scrapped for some reason, and we have flanker-ish landings now :(

Creedence Clearwater Revival:worthy:

Remember that video with the su-33 with proper landing moddeling (ok, it looked X-plane-ish: lots of travel, but eh, it was ok), the one where you had black wingtip smoke and a Cobra, immediately followed by a landing?

So it was there at one moment during beta testing (as was the AFM for the su-25), but it got scrapped for some reason, and we have flanker-ish landings now :(

Hmmn. I don't remember that. Got link?

I don't think that it ever had "proper landing moddeling" I have that video if anyone is interested. It's just a tad over 6 megs, I can email it .

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Zuki" Resident mud mover

CH HOTAS untill it breaks(for life)!

Not affiliated with any "squad":thumbup:

Dropped off an MH-53 at Cherry point North Carolina in 2000. Great facilites and nice folks.

I sort of miss the old duty station....

I was at the VA Hospital in Manhattan awhile back and was speaking with a few former Marines..

It actually turned out that one dude was stationed there as well and goes back to visit now and then.. So it got me thinking, and I might just take a ride down there this summer to see the place.. And rekindle some old memories...

MH-53 Chopper squadron, damn its a small world :thumbup:

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS ROG MAX VIII Extreme

G.Skill TridentZ Series 32 GB

Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SATA II

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR