Is there an AI mod?

Is there a mod for AI? It doesn't feel like I'm playing an opponent. It feels like if I fire a missle, they automatically respond, they can NEVER lose track of me once they've seen me. It feels so scripted. Am I imagining this? I don't like playing PvP in multiplayer, I'd rather play PvE but now that I can actually control a plane somewhat decently, the AI seems to be nothing more than reactionary. Can you EVER catch AI off guard or by surprise? Or do they automatically respond to every threat with a canned response to evade a certain way? They just don't seem believable. It could of course be me just being terrible at the game.

How do people like the AI in this game?

How do people like the AI in this game?

They don't. They play multiplayer against human opponents instead ;)

The AI has not just perfect situational awareness, they also use a different, more simple flight and damage model which most of the time gives them an advatage as well.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

god-sniped-one-shot me

And what's worse, the new integrity check system won't let you mod their behaviour anymore. I had this script which toned down their accuracy a lot, but if I try to use it now DCS refuses to load. Nice going indeed :mad:

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

And what's worse, the new integrity check system won't let you mod their behaviour anymore. I had this script which toned down their accuracy a lot, but if I try to use it now DCS refuses to load. Nice going indeed :mad:

Refuses to load itself or server?

AFAIK you can mod game whatever you want, I had example Kuznetzov in a forest or top of the mountain. Did smth change in the policy of modding game for urself?

Regarding AI, it is not perfect. ED tuned it down years ago, so they do not see everything but yes - they have vision of an eagle so rarely miss smth.

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

I'd love to have a way to control the accuracy of ground based AAA. If anyone knows of a solution, please do let us know.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

• 5 weeks later...

I have exactly what you need ! (For ground units)

DCS World OpenBeta\Scripts\Database\scripts\Sensors.lua

Here is the version we use in our squad, it will modify the accuracy of ground units of 1st gen like :

- Infantery

- Hummvee with 50 cal

- Btr-80/MT-LB etc etc

- Bmp-1-2/Lav-25

- T-55/M-60

Well all units below the last gen Leo-2, T-72, Abrams, Leclerc, Bmp-3, vehicles with real computerized aiming systems and good dampeners.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uqRYJyLOq_dJhbCrJxsoHgOooDpOoHyA/view?usp=sharing

To explain the file

Stock value :

-- softpoint mount, machinegun_12_7, machinegun_7_62, RPG -- category of unit, indicative, infantery here.

WSN_1 = {}

WSN_1.deviation_error_azimuth = 0.005 -- %error on horizon axis from 1000 m

WSN_1.deviation_error_elevation = 0.005 --% error on vertical axis from 1000 m

WSN_1.deviation_error_speed_sensor = 0.1 -- %of error on target's speed measure from 1000m

WSN_1.deviation_error_stability = 0.05 -- %of additionnal error when on the move (lol, he is 5% less accurate when running)

WSN_1.deviation_error_distance = 0.1 -- %of error in the range measure from 1000 m

So to sum it up : the farmer with his AK shoots in a 5m square from 1000 m (when set on medium of course :D )

Modified values (note specially the moving accuracy modif)

-- softpoint mount, machinegun_12_7, machinegun_7_62, RPG

WSN_1 = {}

WSN_1.deviation_error_azimuth = 0.02

WSN_1.deviation_error_elevation = 0.02

WSN_1.deviation_error_speed_sensor = 0.30

WSN_1.deviation_error_stability = 0.8

WSN_1.deviation_error_distance = 0.2

Aim of the modification : leave you a chance to survive : AI will hit you !!! But a T-55 won't snipe you with his canon from 3 km when rolling at 50 km/h in cross country while you are yourself moving 90° from him at 300 km/h ;) (True story, happened to me three times)

Anyway, if you disagree with the level of modifications, I gave you the instructions to create your own version ;)

Only the host needs for it ;)

Nicolas

Edited by dimitriov
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 years later...

Given that there have been no significant advances in the games ground level AI as far as I know, I make no apologies for resurrecting this thread.

I simply wished to know if the above file / adjustments would still work with the latest version of DCS.

Does anybody know? It would be even better if anyone else could chip in with their own suggestions on how to make the ground AI behave in a realistic manner.

Thanks! 

• Like 2

I would also like to know more about how these files can be modified to correct/change AI behaviour. There's nothing more frustrating than spending a few hours authoring a complex mission just to have the AI not do anything close to what they were programmed to do.

• Like 1

"...I just wanna fly; put your arms around me baby, put your arms around me baby" - Sugar Ray

RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG B550 Gaming mobo, 64 GB DDR4 RAM, 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD 2TB game install drive, Oculus Quest Pro via link cable, Standalone DCS beta.

On 8/1/2022 at 2:23 PM, FupDuck said:

I would also like to know more about how these files can be modified to correct/change AI behaviour. There's nothing more frustrating than spending a few hours authoring a complex mission just to have the AI not do anything close to what they were programmed to do.

It really is. The system has so much potential that is currently going unrealised due to AI behaviour. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Agreed, AI needs to be fixed, and I think they are starting to notice as they announced that they are working on it finally. Sometimes it's so bad that I have to switch to Arma or Squad (not discrediting either game) . Then I fly those planes and helicopters and back to DCS hahah. Vicious cycle. 

• Like 1

Just in case anyone arrives at this post asking the same thing - no you cannot edit the moment to moment AI decision making specifying the com-plex parts of viosual detection, the movement of the plane outside of general waypoints, the manner of the movement outside of general tactics set as Task "options". These things are held in DCS programme files that are not editable, in encoded C language.

Things you can edit - Tasks, as per design, either by the Mission Editor or scripting, to issue moment to moment tasking options or generalised behaviour. Example - tell a plane to land. It conducts its own routine, the closest you can do is tell it when and where, the rest is not editable.
Sensors, weapons, unit core behaviour by type in the editable lua files

AI is naturally cognizant of the player and other AI and the amount of ways it interacts when it detects and detection itself has been tweaked over the recent years, most notably in the WW2 units, with new routines that tell AI to try to escape sometimes or make it not aware of rear blind approaches. The progress on this is slow. It's well understood it is very important. The next generation of BFM routines and code is coming at some point according to ED official news.

• Like 1

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

• 2 months later...
On 4/17/2018 at 10:19 PM, dimitriov said:

I have exactly what you need ! (For ground units)

DCS World OpenBeta\Scripts\Database\scripts\Sensors.lua

Here is the version we use in our squad, it will modify the accuracy of ground units of 1st gen like :

- Infantery

- Hummvee with 50 cal

- Btr-80/MT-LB etc etc

- Bmp-1-2/Lav-25

- T-55/M-60

Well all units below the last gen Leo-2, T-72, Abrams, Leclerc, Bmp-3, vehicles with real computerized aiming systems and good dampeners.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uqRYJyLOq_dJhbCrJxsoHgOooDpOoHyA/view?usp=sharing

To explain the file

Stock value :

-- softpoint mount, machinegun_12_7, machinegun_7_62, RPG -- category of unit, indicative, infantery here.

WSN_1 = {}

WSN_1.deviation_error_azimuth = 0.005 -- %error on horizon axis from 1000 m

WSN_1.deviation_error_elevation = 0.005 --% error on vertical axis from 1000 m

WSN_1.deviation_error_speed_sensor = 0.1 -- %of error on target's speed measure from 1000m

WSN_1.deviation_error_stability = 0.05 -- %of additionnal error when on the move (lol, he is 5% less accurate when running)

WSN_1.deviation_error_distance = 0.1 -- %of error in the range measure from 1000 m

So to sum it up : the farmer with his AK shoots in a 5m square from 1000 m (when set on medium of course 😄 )

Modified values (note specially the moving accuracy modif)

-- softpoint mount, machinegun_12_7, machinegun_7_62, RPG

WSN_1 = {}

WSN_1.deviation_error_azimuth = 0.02

WSN_1.deviation_error_elevation = 0.02

WSN_1.deviation_error_speed_sensor = 0.30

WSN_1.deviation_error_stability = 0.8

WSN_1.deviation_error_distance = 0.2

Aim of the modification : leave you a chance to survive : AI will hit you !!! But a T-55 won't snipe you with his canon from 3 km when rolling at 50 km/h in cross country while you are yourself moving 90° from him at 300 km/h 😉 (True story, happened to me three times)

Anyway, if you disagree with the level of modifications, I gave you the instructions to create your own version 😉

Only the host needs for it 😉

Nicolas

Can I ask, does this still work?