Night flying

nicka117

• ED Team

we currently have a problem with the moon, once it is fixed we should see an improvement.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

we currently have a problem with the moon, once it is fixed we should see an improvement.

What about color banding in Night / sunset ? In VR , maybe add some ditther etc

Or is it engine limitation ?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I haven't flown in a while guys--trying to hold off until F-18 w/ carrier ops. Is the night lighting still completely screwed up in VR w/ DCS 2.5?

I tried flying at night in 2.5 with VR, it is pitch black now. So I guess they got rid of the orange horizon at all times of night.

Deferred shading is the culprit. Turn it off, and night flying is possible again like it is/was in 1.5. If you switch it on, cockpit lighting in most A/C's is ****ed up.

I tried it two nights ago in the harrier. The cockpit was blurred but the terrain somewhat sharp. Gave up, might try deferred shading off later.

Sent from my LG-H818 using Tapatalk

Oculus CV1, i7 4790k @ stock, gtx 1080ti @ stock, 32gb PC3-19200 @ 2.4ghz, warthog & saitek pedals, razer tartarus chroma.

What about color banding in Night / sunset ? In VR , maybe add some ditther etc

Or is it engine limitation ?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Currently this is still an issue, but I will say it is better than it was prior to 2.5, but then again, the banding might be just benefiting from the other issues that seem to have grown. So, once they put out the 'moonlight' fix, we might see the banding and orange horizon(which still occurs but is less prevalent) return to it's unfortunate former glory. Hope not of course.

I have inquired about dither testing as well, because DAY sky would even benefit and have never once had the question addressed. No clue if just outside the engine abilities. But all you gotta do is watch any of the YT vids, even the latest out and banding often shows up in the sky so not just night flying would benefit.

The whole other crazy variable in the mix is the gamma setting I find. I have done countless tests and you can mitigate one issue a bit with the gamma slider, but exasperate another at the same time. I mean at gamma 2.4 I get something that fixes one problem kinda, but then need to use Gamma 1.0 to address another, again, kinda. It is like if we had just a few more picture controls(contrast/saturation/brightness..etc) you might be able to tweak away a few of the issues, but you can't.

The DCS ground/object lighting view distance and scaling issue is a whole different ballgame and needs a complete overhaul and new approach taken(IE:copy XP11, it is the best out there currently).

I fly only in VR and have both a Rift and a Vive and am a backer for the Pimax 8k. I get same perf in and see same issues in both the Rift and the Vive. I know VR has a different pic quality vs a monitor and I am hoping that the Pimax closes that gap just a tad at least. Hopefully ED can figure out their night lighting issues by the time the Pimax arrives. Fingers crossed as always. :smilewink:

Sorry so long, but night lighting in DCS is my white whale....okay, maybe one of them ;)

Edited by Torso