Night Attack seems quite uselss at night

bkthunder

I just flew a mission in the totally pitch-black night of 2.5, and I have found the Harrier to be absolutely uselss in these conditions.

This is definitely down to a lack of proficiency on my side with this aircraft, and probably on the other hand due to the many missing features, but what really stand out for me are the following issues:

1. The FLIR image, both on the HUD and on the MFD is so high contrast that you can't see anything except buildings

2. The TPOD image is the same as the FLIR, it's incredibly hard to make out anything, the buildings are green blocks, the rest is pitch black

3. Unable to slave TPOD to the ARBSS aiming point

4. The NVG goggles have no gain controls

I'm sure things will be refined, but was the current "image quality" coming from the TOPD and FLIR wanted, or is it still under tuning?

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

So one solution would be to play with deferred shading turned off. This isn’t fully ideal, as the NVGs let you pretty much see everything in the cockpit clearly (not sure if that is accurate or not)

However, aside from that night flying in 2.5 with DS turned off is a whole different world, is vastly improved for sure. For now I’ve just been leaving it off all the time until it’s been fixed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rig Specs: i7 8700k @ 5ghz, ROG Strix z390e, 32GB DDR4 3200mhz, EVGA FTW3 1080 ti, Corsair rm750, Cooler Master ml240l RGB, Cooler Master h500p mesh

So one solution would be to play with deferred shading turned off. This isn’t fully ideal, as the NVGs let you pretty much see everything in the cockpit clearly (not sure if that is accurate or not)

However, aside from that night flying in 2.5 with DS turned off is a whole different world, is vastly improved for sure. For now I’ve just been leaving it off all the time until it’s been fixed

DS Turned off does indeed fixes some issues as you mentionned so it does also with the FlashLight, but remember not to set any clouds on, or it'll be the uglyest things ever....

Just incase you weren't aware, both the TPOD and FLIR have options for white hot/black hot and switching between them often yields better image quality. One of the settings makes everything pitch black at night with white/green hot spots as you said but the other setting turns everything bright green with dark contacts as the hot spots, this is what I use for night flying. The options for these settings is on the MFDs. I haven't had any issues using the Harrier at night with deferred shading on. The new NVG effect takes a bit to get used to because you can't really see anything in cockpit but I find that it is more effective for seeing out of the cockpit than the old NVG system.

Edited by Bullitthead

When I am using NVG, yes, inside the cockpit is blurred intentionally as it would be in a real Harrier. But, if you set your zoom properly, you can "peek" under the NVG to catch a glimpse of some cockpit stuff (i.e., fuel state, etc.)

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...

From what i'Ve read when i bought the AV-8B a ferw weeks ago and after 2.5 came out, the reason stuff in cockpit are blurred with NVG it's because they made it as RL NVG set to « infinity », resulting blurred close and sharp at a distance.

When I am using NVG, yes, inside the cockpit is blurred intentionally as it would be in a real Harrier. But, if you set your zoom properly, you can "peek" under the NVG to catch a glimpse of some cockpit stuff (i.e., fuel state, etc.)

This actually ends up being a problem in VR, because no matter what you do you can’t peak under the goggles (being able to peak under would be realistic)

Rig Specs: i7 8700k @ 5ghz, ROG Strix z390e, 32GB DDR4 3200mhz, EVGA FTW3 1080 ti, Corsair rm750, Cooler Master ml240l RGB, Cooler Master h500p mesh

2. The TPOD image is the same as the FLIR, it's incredibly hard to make out anything, the buildings are green blocks, the rest is pitch black

And you have turned on FLIR in the TPOD? Coz I don't have any probs seeing targets in TPOD FLIR mode.

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.

With deferred shading off the AV-8B NA is awesome at night, with/without cloud cover or moonlight - with DS on it is another story, hard to get it started let alone employ it, even though NVG's are far more realistic with DS on than off.

Love this thing.

'Gimp (DISCO)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A-4E | F-5E | F-14B | F/A-18C | AV-8B NA | UH-1H | FC3 | Yak-52 | KA-50 | Mi-8 | SA-342

i7 8700K | GTX 1070 Ti | 32GB 3000 DDR4

FAA Comm'l/Instrument, FAST Formation Wingman, Yak-52 Owner/Pilot