Consistently Freezes or Crashes

Bingo41

Flappie,

I flew in VR with Deferred Shading ON with SYNC turned OFF, and after a short period of time it crashed.

With Deferred Shading ON and SYNC ON, VR works with the following caveat, there is a jerkiness that wasn't there before when I had SYNC turned off. This is sort of a workaround for now, but not what I had prior where it was super smooth!

Bill Clark

Bill Clark

Win10, V-2004//I5-8600K 5.2GHz//Nvidia GTX 1080Ti//VRAM 11GB

RAM 32GB//2TB M2.NVMe//Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7//Corsair H115i

OK, the goal was to relieve your graphics card by forcing it to produce less FPS. And it worked. :) Now, we need you to get a bit more FPS so your VR experience is perfect.

I guess the VSync frequency is way too low for your Oculus Rift. I need to know its display frequency.

According to this page, you should be able to set a specific FPS limit through the nVidia control panel. Of course, you'll also need to disable VSync in DCS so it doesn't interfere with nVidia settings.

EDIT: After a quick search, VSync uses the monitor frequency (which often is 60 Hz). You need to set the max FPS to 90 in the nVidia control panel (which is the refresh frequency of the Oculus Rift). If you can reach this panel, create a profile tied to the DCS exe file, and set the FPS target to 90. And don't forget to disable VSync in DCS!

Let me know if this works better.

EDIT2: It seems this nVidia option panel is hidden for some reason, and I have no idea if you can reach it or not. Some say the best tool to limit FPS is Rivatuner SST. You can give it a try.

Edited by Flappie

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

Flappie,

Up until recently I was able to run DCS in VR and 2D modes very flawlessly, that is, until this issue cropped up. I have no idea what happened?

Currently, I am running P3D version 4.1 with both “Native” VR and the 3rd party add-on FlyInside without any issues….it runs really well, so there is nothing wrong with my VR.

What I have done is collect some information (FPS and Video Memory used versus 3 different scenarios) that find is unusual:

DS = Deferred Shading

VS = Vsync

FPS = Frame Rate for VR

VID = Video Memory consumed MB

DS ON, OFF, ON

VS ON, OFF, OFF

FPS 30, 45 or 90, 45

VID 12,410, 8,498, 12,559

Comments:

1) The only scenario that crashes is when Deferred Shading is ON and Vsync is OFF.

2) The other two scenarios work without crashing.

3) When DS and VS are OFF the video RAM numbers look reasonable as do the frames, the other two situations exceed my 1080TI memory of 11GB……what causes this?

I can’t see where my video card is producing too much FPS, and it certainly is not enough when Deferred Shading and Vsync are ON. As to accessing this hidden NVidia panel, the only thing that I can think of is Nvidia Inspector?

I hope the Developers are working on a patch or update to fix this. And as a workaround for VR, I can fly with either DS and VS turned ON, or just turn off DS.

Bill Clark

Bill Clark

Wow, that was some testing there.

I still haven't encountered the DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED crash in DCS, but as I said earlier, I've recently encountered it twice while playing IL-2:Battle of Stalingrad in the last 15 days. I never got this error before. I'm quite certain the problem lies in the current nVidia drivers, but I wonder why this error doesn't strike the whole nVidia users, and only some of them, depending on the game (e.g. you on DCS, me on IL2-BoS).

I've run out of ideas. I leave you in ED's hands.

Cya.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

Hi All,

Looks like I am back, unfortunately update 2.5.1 did not fix my crash issue.

Both 2D and VR modes crash after a few minutes. Unlike before in 2.5.0, I could set Deferred Shading and Vsync to ON and DCS would not crash.

However, under version 2.5.1, if Vsync is ON, the sim now crashes as Deferred Shading is built in and can’t be turned off. So my workaround no longer works.

Basically DCS is no longer playable with 2.5.1.

Attached are a couple of log files.

There are other new log file types that appear to be new with 2.5.1, let me know if you would like these uploaded?

Bill Clark

dcs.log-20180425-204841.zip

Bill Clark

Hi all,

I have same issues here :( ...

With my old 660ti I never had problems, now that I have my new 1060 6gb I can not play anymore this sim.

I was waiting for the version 2.5.1 but nothing still same problems :mad: I can not belive there is no solution to this problem.

btw I can play with all other simulators so the problem is only with DCS.

Same problem I so disappointed , We all spent thousands of $ to play this simulation and look at the problems . ED support team could not help me we tried many solutions without success . They mention d3d.dll is causing problem but never explained me how to fix it

Hi

I have the same problem, DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED crash.

Also on 1080Ti and VR (Rift). For me it started during the weekend 20180407. Since then DCS has crashed every time, sometimes quickly, sometimes I have been able to play for awhile.

When doing some testing yesterday, I found out that it did not crash when turning shadows off, but quickly when enabling (have always had them on high, but also tried low yesterday). It was a short session so maybe it was not conclusive.

Edited by ironsavior
Added VR info

So DCS is the only sim that has issues with drivers with last graphic card.

Give me a valid reason why I should underclock my graphic card (not overclocked) or my CPU that (overclocked) worked fine with DCS with my old 660ti and works fine with all other sim's that I'm playing.

A reply like: "it is the graphic driver" is just useless in this topic

I'm just asking a valid support for playing something I paid... not general sentences to demonstrate a general knowledge.

• ED Team

Some overclocks have been known to show instability while playing DCS, especially during high GPU demand.

Only the user can decided if his overclock is the problem or not.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Some overclocks have been known to show instability while playing DCS, especially during high GPU demand.

Only the user can decided if his overclock is the problem or not.

tested also without CPU overclock but no changes, still same crash DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED

• ED Team

have you linked your dcs.log yet lynx11, please share it with me so I can take a look

thanks

edit, I found it, it just looks like a gpu driver crash, I had a look at the track also and it does not crash for me.

try my crash advice below also if you have not already

If you have fresh logs please attach them.

thanks

Edited by BIGNEWY

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team

thanks

it is very odd, I have seen gpu drivers crash before but never seen a repeating one like this.

can you attach here or send via a link and a PM your dxdiag?

I will be happy to take a look at that also

edit

or open a support ticket with all the info https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/faq/710/

Just updated to 2.5.1.

Deleted my saved game DCS folder and set up DCS.

On the Caucasus, in the AV-8B, I can fly for som 3-5 before it simply freezes and I must press Ctrl+ALT+DELETE to quit DCS.

Runs smooth for those 3-5 mins though.

Attached Log:

dcs.zip

Finn Jacobsen

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.

Just tried DCS 2.5.1 Beta same problem with 3 monitors running with FOV at 140 and the sim freezes good after about 10 minutes better then before at 2 to 3 minutes. Set FOV to 130 some micro freezes but no hard freezes where I need to Ctrl Alt Delete out.

Tried deleting saved games folder and DCS_updater Repair.

13700K, MSI Z690 D4 Edge wifi, Swiftech H360X3 Cooling with Corsair Water Block, Gigabyte 4090 OC, G-Skill Z 3200mhz DDR4 @ 3333 CL16, Evga 850W G2 power supply, TM Warthog,  MFG Crosswinds Rudder, TrackIR 5, HP Reverb 2, Pimax Crystal

I have tried repair, clean, and delete user files. Even deleted and redownloaded the game for a clean install and still getting the errors. Seems the .dll file which throws the crash is changing. Disabled my anti virus while playing but still get crashes

All the logs reference a C0000005 Access_Violation although to different .dll files

dcs.log-20180428-234718.zip

Edited by shelt

Intel i7-3770K,Windows 10 64,Noctua NH-U12S ,ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ,G.Skill 32GB DDR3 2400,EVGA GTX 1080,ADATA XPG900x2 RAID 0, CM HAF XB Case,Thrustmaster Warthog,Combat Rudder Pedals,Logitech G930 with wireless TrackIR 5, 39" Insignia LED 120Hz Monitor, Oculus Rift

Update regarding the DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED error.

I have tried a couple of benchmark programs (Furmark and Unigine Valley) without problems, but I thought that they might not push the card as much as DCS. So I tried 3D Mark, and while the Firestrike (DX11) test ran ok, it produced some artifacts (green patterns and such). So I tried to underclock the core clock by 100 MHz. This made the artifacts go away.

Note that the Timespy(DX12) test ran ok on stock clocks.

I have not had any crashes in DCS since this underclock, not that I have played a lot but it "should" have crashed at least a couple of times.

I'll report back after a longer session.

Anyway, strange that Palit supplies the card with a clock that it cannot support out of the box. I think I will have to check with the vendor.

Hope this can be of any help to other people.

I guess it's more DCS causing the videocard to crash than it' the videocard that causes DCS to crash.

No other game on my system acts that way.

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.

• ED Team
Update regarding the DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED error.

I have tried a couple of benchmark programs (Furmark and Unigine Valley) without problems, but I thought that they might not push the card as much as DCS. So I tried 3D Mark, and while the Firestrike (DX11) test ran ok, it produced some artifacts (green patterns and such). So I tried to underclock the core clock by 100 MHz. This made the artifacts go away.

Note that the Timespy(DX12) test ran ok on stock clocks.

I have not had any crashes in DCS since this underclock, not that I have played a lot but it "should" have crashed at least a couple of times.

I'll report back after a longer session.

Anyway, strange that Palit supplies the card with a clock that it cannot support out of the box. I think I will have to check with the vendor.

Hope this can be of any help to other people.

I have a palit gtx1080 and dont have any problems

Graphics Clock 1645MHz

Boost Clock 1784MHz

Memory Clock 10000MHz