F-14D??

OnionSpider13

If you equip the LANTIRN, it's not a representation of what was in fleetwide combat use, no.

We decided that we really want to add extra value to the F-14A & B for everyone, but implementing the full PTID upgrade is beyond our resources for this release.

Note though, that it is still realistic. We're not entertaining prototypes or hypotheticals.

Just not realistic for the -B Bombcats that saw action.

Will the Sparrowhawk HUD and PTID is part of DLC afther this release?

Will the Sparrowhawk HUD and PTID is part of DLC afther this release?

If u look 3 posts above his last one he wrote:

"F-14B with Sparrowhawk and PTID is unlikely. We'd rather spend that time on building an F-14D."

So probably no.

One thing to note is that our LANTIRN implementation relies on feeding the video through the fishbowl display. This was (according to our research, at least) - not something that was widely used in the fleet. Thus it can be considered to be a somewhat "experimental" version of the F-14 that existed for a short period.

Can you please share some more details on your findings regarding the LTS image being shown on the TID screen?

There was this thread on the forum discussing this same thing and IIRC the end conclusion was somewhat different (i.e. the LTS pod required the PTID screen to show the image; on the F-14D the image was shown on the MFD before the PTID screens from retired F-14B's became available).

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Can you please share some more details on your findings regarding the LTS image being shown on the TID screen?

There was this thread on the forum discussing this same thing and IIRC the end conclusion was somewhat different (i.e. the LTS pod required the PTID screen to show the image; on the F-14D the image was shown on the MFD before the PTID screens from retired F-14B's became available).

Hi!

We have access to a maintenance manual describing the installation of an early Lantirn and that manual describes a video-feed that is basically patched in between the TCS and the TID making the Lantirn Control Panel act as a video switch with a button selecting either TCS or Lantirn video for display on the TID.

The manual also shows no other dependency on the PTID itself for operation.

Later installations most likely used the 1553 bus for integration with other aircraft systems making the PTID or an 1553 enabled MFD mandatory in those cases.

This installation would, like Cobra mentioned, be analogous to an experimental Lantirn integration that may or may not have been used on line squadrons. It was as far as we know used at least for testing though and we have thus decided to model it on or -B cat as an option for the Bombcat lovers out there even if we do not end up doing a PTID until an eventual -D cat.

When the Lantirn is not in the selected payload in DCS the Lantirn Control Panel will not be present in the RIO pit.

The F-14 has dropped more air-to-ground ordnance than it's fired air-to-air ordnance in anger. Like it or not, in the real world, which is where it really matters, the F-14 turned out to be more than just a fighter.
Yes, I know, but we're talking about different things.

While the role of the F-14 as an A/G weapon is an ironclad testament to the aircraft's versatility, it isn't relevant to me. I did not fly for or support any Tomcat squadron in any way.

If people want to use the LANTIRN pod that HB is providing to deliver ordinance, then I say good for them. Each to his (or her, I guess) own. As for myself, I intend to use those hardpoints for missles.

I'll drop bombs with the Hornet. :)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Can't pretend fly as well as you can.

We have access to a maintenance manual describing the installation of an early Lantirn and that manual describes a video-feed that is basically patched in between the TCS and the TID making the Lantirn Control Panel act as a video switch with a button selecting either TCS or Lantirn video for display on the TID.

The manual also shows no other dependency on the PTID itself for operation.

Later installations most likely used the 1553 bus for integration with other aircraft systems making the PTID or an 1553 enabled MFD mandatory in those cases.

This installation would, like Cobra mentioned, be analogous to an experimental Lantirn integration that may or may not have been used on line squadrons. It was as far as we know used at least for testing though and we have thus decided to model it on or -B cat as an option for the Bombcat lovers out there even if we do not end up doing a PTID until an eventual -D cat.

Thanks for the info. This switch between the TCS and LTS feeds is basically how I understood the PTID screen worked on the F-14D before the D05 software update (which I guess supported it through the bus), but regarding the LTS feed being displayed on the old TID screens, it's hard to find documented evidence as most USN budgetary documents which mention these upgrades state that PTID is required, but they don't really go into detail. And since it was a long time ago, people involved with the Tomcats might remember it differently.

For example, I did read on some modeling forum that when they interviewed Lt. Charles Zuhovski, a RIO operator from VF-211 (which according to Wiki received Tomcats with LTS pods in 1996 and deployed in 1997 with them for Operation Southern Watch over Iraq) for some decal research, he supposedly stated that he flew several missions with LTS equipped Tomcats which had no PTID screen installed. I found a photo of a VF-211 Tomcat taken by the mentioned pilot apparently, so there might be some truth behind this story.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

How was the LANTRIN controlled in this early implementation? like switching TV/IR, zoom in/out, control the laser designator etc. Because I'm assuming there was nothing specific installed in the cockpit beyond that little switch to exchange video feeds.

Regards!

How was the LANTRIN controlled in this early implementation? like switching TV/IR, zoom in/out, control the laser designator etc. Because I'm assuming there was nothing specific installed in the cockpit beyond that little switch to exchange video feeds.

Regards!

The controller for the LANTRIN in the F14

4fvLY4G.jpg

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron

I am backwards of most people. I don't want the best/latest. I want the historically significant and/or most challenging variants of an aircraft. The MiG-21bis is a great fighter, the best of its line in many ways. I came to the DCS World platform when it was announced as a crowd-funded project. But I want the MiG-21F-13 that was such a shock to the USA in Vietnam in 1966. I want the MiG-21PF/PFMA that went with the all missile armament then had to retrofit a gun pod to correct that mistake. I want the MiG-21MF that again shocked the USA in Vietnam in 1972. All of these were equally important in air combat all over the world, especially Israel/Mideast.

Don't get me wrong, I will buy a well-modeled F-14D in a heartbeat. But I am overjoyed that I get the F-14A that served so many years on the front line and got kills in Libya rather than a souped up ultra-digital version that is the Navy equivalent to an F-15E on steroids. I want to learn how to dogfight while struggling to manage the ever problematic TF30... underpowered, slow to respond, and likely to flame out. That is a lot more fun to me than flying an aircraft that rivals or betters its opponents in just about every category. For the record, I am an air-to-air guy. I have little use for "bomb-cats" or Strike Eagles other than how well they can kill MiGs.

Likewise! :thumbup:

CAP and ACM in the alpha Cat is what it's all about for me. I doubt i will ever drop a bomb in this thing, except maybe the instant action.....and that's just to see how they implemented it ;)

The F-14 has dropped more air-to-ground ordnance than it's fired air-to-air ordnance in anger. Like it or not, in the real world, which is where it really matters, the F-14 turned out to be more than just a fighter.

Indeed they have. But in the time period that our Cat originates (mid 80's to early 90's) they haven't dropped a single one ;)

And they have bagged 4 jets and a helo :pilotfly:

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

I’m really appreciative of the implementation of LTS in the Tomcat. Even if the method may be experimental, if this is a way to provide us with a chance to experience flying the cat as a multirole combat aircraft I’m all for it. Thanks again HB team.

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

F-14D! That would be amazing to fly. That said I am hyped for the F-14A and A+/B just to fly the unruly beast and experience those TF-30's as they were and the challenges they threw into the Tomcat experience.

Edit: The F-14 A+/B for the better engine experience for comparison to the A.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure I want F-14D. Actually, it won't bring any entirely new capabilities over A/B, only improving already existing. But the D will require lots of work over systems, a new navigation system, radar etc. Honestly, I'd prefer that Heatblur spent this time to make completely different airframe.

I'm not sure I want F-14D. Actually, it won't bring any entirely new capabilities over A/B, only improving already existing. But the D will require lots of work over systems, a new navigation system, radar etc. Honestly, I'd prefer that Heatblur spent this time to make completely different airframe.

That's my stance as well.

Pre-development, if I'd had the choice I would have picked a D over the A+B, but the A+B was chosen by HB and a -D doesn't offer enough over them in comparison to a different airplane alltogether.

Love that we will eventually see the F-14D brought to DCS...the A/B will be epic and will occupy plenty of my time in the lead up to it. Now we just need to see the A -6E to help round out the Fleet and it would be very complim to the F-14A;)

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord

Be real... Honestly it's a lot of new capabilities... IRST.. JDAMs... and a full digital cockpit...

Be real... Honestly it's a lot of new capabilities... IRST.. JDAMs... and a full digital cockpit...

Nope, not really. F-14A carried IRST, so technically this is not a D exclusive (but yes, both A and B models we get will carry TCS, so IRST IS advantage, after all, dunno how useful it is to be replaced by TCS IRL even before 80s), and F-14B started to carry JDAMs more or less simultaneously with F-14D. Full-digital cockpit is more like a disadvantage to me, because it will require a huge amount of work to implement. So, 2003+ F-14B with PTID as a separate module — probably, yes. F-14D — meh.

Nope, not really. F-14A carried IRST, so technically this is not a D exclusive (but yes, both A and B models we get will carry TCS, so IRST IS advantage, after all, dunno how useful it is to be replaced by TCS IRL even before 80s), and F-14B started to carry JDAMs more or less simultaneously with F-14D. Full-digital cockpit is more like a disadvantage to me, because it will require a huge amount of work to implement. So, 2003+ F-14B with PTID as a separate module — probably, yes. F-14D — meh.

IRST is basically a D-exclusive because what was carried on the earliest blocks of the A by that name didn't really work well at all and was removed pretty soon (if it was even delivered to operational units?) and replaced by some dummy weight IIRC until the TCS became available.

There's also the HUD, better radar with NCTR (which is quite important for the basic Tomcat mission), ECM, MFD's, new navigation system.. Quite enough to improve on the F-14B A2A experience and again not THAT different that it would be too expensive to develop (like e.g. if it had synthetic radar mapping, various smart weapons integrated like Harpoon, SLAM, HARM, etc.). LTS video feed could be projected on the MFD so PTID is not really required, IMHO, except perhaps in the very basic TID emulation mode perhaps just to have a bigger screen to designate targets easier.

If I was making it, I'd also sweeten the deal with the optional AMRAAM integration, especially if it only required a software update on the D (ducks for cover).

Edited by Dudikoff

There's also the HUD, better radar with NCTR (which is quite important for the basic Tomcat mission), ECM, MFD's, new navigation system.. Quite enough to improve on the F-14B A2A experience and again not THAT different that it would be too expensive to develop (like e.g. if it had synthetic radar mapping, various smart weapons integrated like Harpoon, SLAM, HARM, etc.). LTS video feed could be projected on the MFD so PTID is not really required, IMHO, except perhaps in the very basic TID emulation mode perhaps just to have a bigger screen to designate targets easier.

F-14 never got SLAM, Harpoon, Harm... Nor was the AMRAAM ever used operationally..

Think of the F-14A IRD( IR detector) as F-4 generation IR seeker- on par with a MiG-23. The F-14D IRST was generations ahead and the Super Hornet IRST is a development of that. It was very effective and a crutch for some crews. Its far more capable than you think.

VF-2 Bounty Hunters

https://www.csg-1.com/

DCS F-14 Pilot/RIO Discord:

https://discord.gg/6bbthxk

F-14 never got SLAM, Harpoon, Harm... Nor was the AMRAAM ever used operationally..

And where did I say otherwise?

I just mentioned them as something that was planned in one form or the other (either for the D or for one of the proposed variants like Quickstrike, etc.) and as something which would further complicate the development of the F-14D module; the whole point I was trying to make being that the amount of work required for the F-14D could have been even worse if they developed its A2G capabilities as planned.

AMRAAM was tested on it as the funds were allocated for the integration, but IIRC the Navy diverted them to LANTIRN program, guessing correctly the upcoming operational mission profiles (A2G rather than A2A). If only a software update was required (after the comprehensive testing program was completed of course), I think it wouldn't be a big stretch to include it as an option if the D module was developed and it would add another handy feature to it over the F-14B. The biggest obstacle might be the HUD representation of the AMRAAM mode as I would presume this did not get in the manuals.

Edited by Dudikoff

AMRAAM was tested on it as the funds were allocated for the integration, but IIRC the Navy diverted them to LANTIRN program, guessing correctly the upcoming operational mission profiles (A2G rather than A2A). If only a software update was required (after the comprehensive testing program was completed of course), I think it wouldn't be a big stretch to include it as an option if the D module was developed and it would add another handy feature to it over the F-14B. The biggest obstacle might be the HUD representation of the AMRAAM mode as I would presume this did not get in the manuals.

Likely wasn't all that different from the F/A-18