How old are you? (really)

sp0nge

Winston Churchill to the House of Commons on Aug 20, 1940 during the Battle of Britain.

Rich

Ah thanks - although in my opinion he was wrong as most people were actively involved in that war (not just the mere few he states) hence wondered if it was from another war era.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah thanks - although in my opinion he was wrong as most people were actively involved in that war (not just the mere few he states) hence wondered if it was from another war era.

In his speech, Winston Churchill was specifically referring to the Allied aircrews of the RAF when he used the phrase "the Few", whose actions, needless to say, were descisive in deciding the outcome of the Battle of Britain.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

In his speech, Winston Churchill was specifically referring to the Allied aircrews of the RAF when he used the phrase "the Few", whose actions, needless to say, were descisive in deciding the outcome of the Battle of Britain.

Ah now I know which book it was andyes it does make sense.

Book was 'For Your Freedom And Ours' about Polish RAF crews.

• ED Team

29 so far.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

К чему стадам дары свободы?

Их должно резать или стричь.

Наследство их из рода в роды

Ярмо с гремушками да бич.

Who's a dinosaur? :)

There must be somebody here older than I am...anybody? I guess 4.85 Sp0nges is not a bad age :thumbup:

And the reflexes do get slower and the aches get stronger and the beer tastes better and...

• Like 1

WH_Blaster (Larry) :beer:

US Air Force (Retired, 1961-1981)

Join us for fun with the DCS series and other games at the War Hawks Squad website ... we are a mature gaming group that enjoys realism and having fun! http://war-hawks.net

System: i7=950 @ 3.3 GHz, GA-X58-UDR3 MB, 6GB RAM, GTX770, 256GB system SSD, 128GB gaming SSD, TIR5, TM HOTAS WH, HannsG 28-in, Acer 23-in touch screen.

19 :music_whistling:

Raptor22Sig.jpg

Gigabyte GA-M55SLI S-4

AMD64 X2 4600+ 2.4GHz

2GB DDR2 PC6400 800MHz

eVGA GeForce7950GT 512MB

Samsung SyncMaster 906BW 19" Widescreen

Western Digital Cavier 160GB 7200RPM SATA

SoundBlaster Audigy X-Fi

Creative MegaWorks 5.1 THX 550

TrackIR 4 Pro

MS SideWinder Force Feedback 2 :joystick:

Seeing as you're so old you might be able to remind me who said that quotation in your signature? vaguely recall it from a book I read recently.

Thanks

Winston Churchill August 1940. Battle of Britain.

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few". - Sir Winston Churchill 1940.

WRONG!!!!!!!

Ok let me try to give you a very brief History. The "Few" he talks about are the Few RAF fighter Pilots that fought very bravely and heroically against the mass hoards of also very brave and heroic German Luftwaffe Pilots who had, I think a 3:1 advantage over the RAF, hence the "Few". And most people were not involved during this time of the war (1940). Well not in the main anyway. It was just a Germany v Britain situation. ("Britain stood alone" another famous quote). As America had not yet joined. (December 7th 1941) Not forgetting also a small quantity of pilots joining in the fun from various countries around the world to help Britain in her hour of need.

Fortunately for the world, the Germans changed tactics from bombing the RAF airfields to bombing London. After studying this part of the war in great depth I firmly believe that this was the biggest turning point in the Second World War and the beginning of Hitlers downfall because his failure in the Battle of Britain created the beginnings of a war on two fronts. Not a very good tactical appreciation of the situation really. Thus, if Germany had achieved its goal of occupying Britain then Hitler would have defeated everyone. The reason why I say this is because if you look at the map of the globe where would we have had the jumping off point for Operation Overlord if Britain had been occupied. How could we have waged a war against Germany and its infrastructure up until this time? And finally how would we have supplied the troops in the North African campaign? Would have been impossible. As is stated in Churchills immortal words "was so much owed, by so many" (everyone on the planet) "to so few" (The RAF pilots) Just my opinion. Sorry I went on a bit eh? I hope this has shed some light.

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few". - Sir Winston Churchill 1940.

23, 24 in august

(08.08.1983)

Там, где Уазик не пройдет,

И там, где Абрамс не промчится,

На пепелаце пролетят

Уэф, Би, Скрипач и дядя Вова!

(Если конечно не гробанутся на висении и посадке)

Same old like Tu-154M :) & MiG-23MLD 23-18 ;)

Комплекс «Андреич 84» производства УзССР с ЦБВМ «Аналитик-Т», РЭБ «ПОЭТ-МА 21В», ПрНК «Jameson 23» производит поиск цели типа «Т» для взятия на АС и последующего ТО согласно ИЭ книги «К», а так же для нерегламентированных работ.

No no you misunderstand. Bat was born in '98 :smartass:

Hmmm, 9 years old?(Or 109?:D )

"Я ошеломлён, но думаю об этом другими словами", - некий гражданин

Ноет котик, ноет кротик,

Ноет в небе самолетик,

Ноют клумбы и кусты -

Ноют все. Поной и ты.