ALWAYS Run DCS in full screen on your monitor

Thick8

I was surprised that everyone doesn't know to do this in VR.

The game display on your monitor doesn't take any extra horse power to be shown there. What does take extra horse power is your video card having to draw your desktop and the game on your monitor.

If you look when in full screen you will notice that what is being displayed on the monitor is just a stretched view of what's on your HMD so there is no extra pixels being drawn and shaded.

I find that all of my VR game benefit from doing this. Some games I have to ALT+TAB and ALT+ENTER to make sure it's full screen but the effort is well worth it.

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

Can you provide data that supports merely checking the "full screen" option to make useful performance gains and/or reduce stuttering, etc.?

What I do know is that checking the "full screen" option used to cause some bugs in DCS World years ago. I looked up the bugs in the forum, saw the solution was to uncheck "full screen" and never looked back.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just tried this. On my system, having full screen ticked or not makes no discernible difference whatsoever.

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

just checking Full screen box will not make it launch full screen in VR u need to hit left alt enter after it loads to get full screen

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Window 10, i9-9900,2080TI, 32GB ram Puma Pro Flight Trainer, 2 x 1TB WB SSD NVMe HP Reverb

just checking Full screen box will not make it launch full screen in VR u need to hit left alt enter after it loads to get full screen

Not sure whether you're replying to me, but, yes I had to go alt-enter to go fullscreen, however, after doing that, in terms of performance:

on my system, having full screen ticked or not makes no discernible difference whatsoever.

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

It helps - mainly because it prevents you clicking outside the window when you reach for switches at the extremities in the cockpit. So yeas, it is essential - does it improve frame rates? Don't think so, but it doesn't hurt.

You always need to go to full screen using alt-enter. Checking the full screen option doesn't work, and hasn't for at least a year. A fix for that would be very useful now we have 2.5 in a stable form.

It helps - mainly because it prevents you clicking outside the window when you reach for switches at the extremities in the cockpit. So yeas, it is essential - does it improve frame rates? Don't think so, but it doesn't hurt.

There is an option in Settings -> VR : "Cursor confined to game window" which accomplishes the same thing. I sometimes find it very useful to have the spare desktop space available for other windows. I will be keeping the fullscreen option in DCS unticked for now.

I was surprised that everyone doesn't know to do this in VR.

The game display on your monitor doesn't take any extra horse power to be shown there. What does take extra horse power is your video card having to draw your desktop and the game on your monitor.

If you look when in full screen you will notice that what is being displayed on the monitor is just a stretched view of what's on your HMD so there is no extra pixels being drawn and shaded.

I find that all of my VR game benefit from doing this. Some games I have to ALT+TAB and ALT+ENTER to make sure it's full screen but the effort is well worth it.

I'd be very grateful if you could:

- Explain how you have tested to come to your conclusion

- Quantify your findings

Your argument does sound reasonable, although I suspect that in practice any gains are negligible on today's systems. I notice that you are not using a Rift, so are presumably not running the Oculus software layer; I think that probably makes your system different enough from mine so that comparisons may not be completely valid.

Edited by Hippo
clarity

FPS alone doesn't tell the whole story. But I would be surprised if the desktop needed any refreshing while flying in DCS and even more surprised if the cpu/gpu resources required to do so impacted the in-game experience in any way on a high end system with a 1080 GTX gpu.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There is an option in Settings -> VR : "Cursor confined to game window" which accomplishes the same thing. I sometimes find it very useful to have the spare desktop space available for other windows. I will be keeping the fullscreen option in DCS unticked for now.

Yes, there is, and no it doesn't stop you clicking outside the window when working in the extremities of VR.

Hence the need to run in full screen, and also the fact that the check box for running in full screen doesn't work either, as already stated!

Yes, there is, and no it doesn't stop you clicking outside the window when working in the extremities of VR.

Hence the need to run in full screen, and also the fact that the check box for running in full screen doesn't work either, as already stated!

You can reposition the taskbar to the vertical edge of the screen and that does the same job as full screen as far as losing focus is concerned.

I don't notice any performance difference either, and I like keeping an eye on Discord through the nose peek hole while flying :-)

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

1 year ago I tried to put a second gpu on my system just to put the screen on it (so desktop + oculus left eye) to test the load.

The screen used 2-3 % load (in peak!) of the second gpu (970). Very little.

BTW that didn't work with DCS (for DCS to work it needed oculus rift and screen on the main gpu), only with oculus store titles.

With VR very little save can't help (it's rare for you to miss 1% power to reach 45fps and so ASW to kick in, or 90fps .....)

I tried but noticed nothing from using fullscreen.

I run the desktop resolution the smallest possible with VR. I figure it might add an FPS or two as VR doesn't care what the desktop res is set to. And never had my mouse cursor go outside of it unless I alt-tab to do it.

You can reposition the taskbar to the vertical edge of the screen and that does the same job as full screen as far as losing focus is concerned.

No, it just moves the task bar to a place where you click less often.

Full screen works very well, so why complicate things by screwing up everything else you do on your PC?

No, it just moves the task bar to a place where you click less often.

Full screen works very well, so why complicate things by screwing up everything else you do on your PC?

Completely incorrect. In windowed mode, with the taskbar at the bottom, it's possible to hit the taskbar, in fact it's inevitable, but you can never do that with the taskbar at the side. It's very handy to have the desktop right there if you need it.

So to recap: you are completely wrong about the taskbar at the side also being a problem.

Tee hee

BadK

MSI Z270 Gaming M7

Core I7 7700K @ 5.0 GHz

MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming Trio

Corsair Vengence DDR4 2666 32GB

Corsair LE SSD 960GB

Corsair HX 650W

Corsair H100i v2

Corsair 460X Case

Windows 10 Pro 64

CH Products (FS, PT, PP)