I just wasted my time installing DCS 2.5

I tried reinstalling DCS 2.5, after deleting everything.

This is seriously pissing me off, I'm about done with this! I live in a rural area and I have zero access to enough internet to download the 100gb that I just downloaded so I went to my college an hour away with my desktop and downloaded all of the files, I sat up at the school for 8 hours just for this.

then this stupid updater says that it is installing 4000mb, 15 minutes later it said it installed 4800mb out of 4000mb, THAT IS NOT EVEN POSSIBLE!

then I closed out of the idiotic updater and now all of the add ons are not accessible and my disk space was being used up by fluff, so not only did I waste my time, 2 hours of driving, 8 hours of waiting on a download, but I have to delete everything and start over apparently. Obviously it is going to do the same exact thing.

What is wrong with this? I really do not want to lug my big a$$ computer to my school again to have the same thing happen, how in the world is it saying DCS updater installing 10gb out of 4000mb! That literally is not possible.

I have found out that limiting the number of downloads to one or two at a time helps I’ve been in internet limited areas back east and it seemed if I tried to download everything at one time it had problems but if I limited it to one or two at a time no problems

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

I tried downloading it about a week ago on my 50gb sat internet and it ended up wasting 15gb out of the 4000mb that it said needed to be downloaded! I cant even describe how pissed I am that I wasted money, and now my time for this.

I closed the updater, and now all of the modules are apparently locked away and I can not use them.

But they are on the SSD, it did not just delete them...

The reason I'm so furious right now is because I am still at my college at nearly 7pm and I'm pulling the plug now, if I do that and have to reinstall, after going through this I'm not touching DCS maybe forever.

Buzzles , unless I missed it I had the beta installed and not the 2.5 version and the settings that were suggested to change were not there, so I deleted everything and reinstalled the 2.5 version. The FPS problem is pretty much fixed now but this issue is totally ludicrous.

I share your frustration, Stickman.

I've been unable to access the game in normal mode today. It loads in VR then locks up. I'm unable to move the cursor. I have alt+cntl+del a dozen times.

The DCS Config Manager isn't working and to get help with that I need to download yet another app and disclose my contact info to another party like reddit. Something I don't want to do.

I have a lot of time and money wrapped up in this and it's just not working out for me. There are far too many problems to overcome just for a few minutes of what should be an enjoyable experience.

I'm deleting everything DCS tonight.

Asus ROG Maximus Hero Z690-E, i9-13900KF, RTX 4090, Trident Z Neo 64Gb (4x16) DDR5 6600 C32, EVO 980 Pro 2Tb M.2 Nvme SSD, HP Reverb G2, VKB Gunfighter Modern Combat Pro, MFG Crosswind pedals, Virpil MongoosT-50 throttle, Corsair 7000D Airflow Case, 1200W Asus Platinum G+ PSU, Win10 Pro 64 bit

I share your frustration, Stickman.

I've been unable to access the game in normal mode today. It loads in VR then locks up. I'm unable to move the cursor. I have alt+cntl+del a dozen times.

The DCS Config Manager isn't working and to get help with that I need to download yet another app and disclose my contact info to another party like reddit. Something I don't want to do.

I have a lot of time and money wrapped up in this and it's just not working out for me. There are far too many problems to overcome just for a few minutes of what should be an enjoyable experience.

I'm deleting everything DCS tonight.

Delete

C:\Users\[your user name]\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta??\Config\options.lua file

This will reset your options

I closed the updater, and now all of the modules are apparently locked away and I can not use them.

But they are on the SSD, it did not just delete them...

The reason I'm so furious right now is because I am still at my college at nearly 7pm and I'm pulling the plug now, if I do that and have to reinstall, after going through this I'm not touching DCS maybe forever.

Buzzles , unless I missed it I had the beta installed and not the 2.5 version and the settings that were suggested to change were not there, so I deleted everything and reinstalled the 2.5 version. The FPS problem is pretty much fixed now but this issue is totally ludicrous.

Your making this harder than it needs to be.

Stop downloading and and reinstalling DCS, I have only ever downloaded DCS completely once EVER 2011. You can transform DCS into any version number of the sim using the DCS Updater to Update, Revert, Repair commands from the command window or use SkateZilla's GUI tool, thats what I use to quickly run a Repair etc.

This tool can change your install from beta to release, turn VR off and on etc.

I have old copies of DCS on external dives, all I do is copy paste these to a new SSD, go to the DCS bin folder and hit the updater.EXE or run the command prompt and transform that particular install to any version I choose.

You can copy and paste as many as you like and transform these as you like no limit, DCS is not reliant or tied into windows.

When I do updates or install modulus, I generally do these one at a time. One map at a time because they are huge files, two aircraft at a time.

This latest build then becomes my latest backup on an external drive to copy and paste back to a new drive, computer crash or update etc, you will only need to redo the launch links from the BIN folder.

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

As others observed:

#1 You don't ever need to delete and reinstall DCS, if you don't REALLY want to. You can do everything possibly necessary from the updater itself. Do a little search in the forums and save yourself a lot of trouble.

#2 As for the difference in download size... Yeah, that's because it's uncompressed. You download 5gb and it installs 10gb... that's because it's unpacking it. All you did was interrupt it when it was nearly finished.

#3 See #1, you shouldn't have to delete everything and start over. Just calm down and use your head. Look up some stuff on how the updater works, you can do repairs, updates, etc, all from there without having to ever start over. You can even switch between different versions of the game, and it only replace or change the bare minimum required.

You're your own worst enemy in this particular case. Just chill, take a break from it if you have to.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=114030

Boom, very helpful link in Skatezilla's signature. You can solve all your problems from there. Note : Skate says improper usage can corrupt your install, which obviously escalates the problems considerably. Assuming you haven't already done that, you should be able to fix your install and finish the update with the information provided. If you HAVE screwed it up, then you'll probably be forced to start over. Lesson learned, be more patient next time.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

David OC, There was no 'options.lua' in my saved games> dcs> config.

I created a folder with that name but DCS Config Mgr didn't recognize it.

Asus ROG Maximus Hero Z690-E, i9-13900KF, RTX 4090, Trident Z Neo 64Gb (4x16) DDR5 6600 C32, EVO 980 Pro 2Tb M.2 Nvme SSD, HP Reverb G2, VKB Gunfighter Modern Combat Pro, MFG Crosswind pedals, Virpil MongoosT-50 throttle, Corsair 7000D Airflow Case, 1200W Asus Platinum G+ PSU, Win10 Pro 64 bit

David OC, There was no 'options.lua' in my saved games> dcs> config.

I created a folder with that name but DCS Config Mgr didn't recognize it.

Strange...Have you run a repair on DCS?

The reason I say this is because you say it starts in VR? DCS has never started by default in VR for me ever, if the VR box get selected in the options, DCS should have created the options file I believe.

Did you select VR from the DCS options?

IF yes or no try and turn it off using SkateZilla's GUI tool or you can copy and then change your launch links and include

DCS.exe --force_enable_VR

DCS.exe --force_disable_VR

One link VR one without etc.

see this thread here

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

zhukov said " You can do everything possibly necessary from the updater itself. Do a little search in the forums and save yourself a lot of trouble."

I have been doing nothing BUT reading the f'in forums and using the updater/repair apps for the past three days and haven't found a solution.

As mentioned above the other flight sim is much more user friendly. I don't need the level of difficulty so many people are experiencing with DCS.

YOU do a little research and look at the forums of the two flight sims and judge for yourself which is a more pleasant environment. Read the comments of the users and compare.

The last time I asked for help on this forum I was essentially told to get lost. I commented in someone's thread about a problem I was having that was similar and perhaps related to the author's but was accused of high jacking the topic.

David, Just today I've run DCS Repair 4 times.

DCS only starts in VR and immediately locks up.

Another point of irritation:

Every time I try to log in I get an error message saying my password is invalid (it's not) and I need to reenter the user name and password. I check auto log in and remember my password just to have it fail and not remember or auto load on the next attempt.

I Would try SkateZilla's GUI tool tool if your not happy modifying you links as seen here in this thread , I have never see this before strange...?

Are you using standalone or steam version? If using steam it may be launching using steam VR gui or whatever they call it, have you tried launching with the rift unplugged on standalone or steam etc?

Cannot say I've seen problems with passwords not working...Have you got any weird characters in your password? apostrophe or quotation marks, these may be a problem perhaps.

What antivirus are you running? Put an exempt for DCS just to make sure it's not playing with DCS.

Not home right now otherwise you could try my option file with VR turn off and launch DCS, perhaps some else can post their option file with VR off for you to try.

If you need software install or hardware help use the "PC Hardware and Related Software Section" Many there will work with you to get things setup correctly, even jump on Skype and or PC access to set things up for you.

Start a thread there if you have problems, there are many pc tech's checking the section that will help you with all sorts of PC related things.

Most are willing to help here gordon200, there are many different characters and of course cultures from around the world, that can come across rude sometimes.

Edited by David OC

No. I haven't been using Steam. I'll try SkateZilla's GUI tool and see what happens. I really liked the Config Mgr he made when it worked.

My password has @ and one numeral. It wasn't a problem in the past.

I use Windows Defender and disable it when downloading from a trusted site such as DCS.

Can't bother with any longer tonight. Early appointments tomorrow.

Thanks for your calm tone and helpful advice.

Greatly appreciated.

Cheers

There is something going on right now with ED and their servers. I used a translate tool on the stuff at the top of the page and got this:

Dear users!

In connection with random blocking of Roskomnadzorom of networks of various operators and including the networks of German operator Hetzner, some servers of our company located on the platform Hetzner suddenly turned out inaccessible in Russia. For us it was of communication total неожиданностью.

В with that, in present moment problems with updating DCS World at users locating on Russia territory can be observed. The errors of updating, launch DCS World, as well as loading of some files from the site DCS are possible.

We make all effortss for search of possible variants of the decision of given problem (letters in the РКН and Hetzner are sent).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA97XSLI

Core i7 4790 @ 4.0 Ghz

MSI GTX 1080ti

32 Mb RAM DDR3-2133

512GB SSD for DCS

HP Reverb VR HMD

Thrustmaster Warthog & MFG Crosswind

• ED Team

without seeing your dcs.log and also your autoupdate_log.txt it is difficult to diagnose your issue.

I have a guide for the dcs.log in my signature and the autoupdate_log.txt can be found in the root of the DCS install

add your system specification to a post also it will help us help you

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

As others observed:

#1 You don't ever need to delete and reinstall DCS, if you don't REALLY want to. You can do everything possibly necessary from the updater itself. Do a little search in the forums and save yourself a lot of trouble.

#2 As for the difference in download size... Yeah, that's because it's uncompressed. You download 5gb and it installs 10gb... that's because it's unpacking it. All you did was interrupt it when it was nearly finished.

#3 See #1, you shouldn't have to delete everything and start over. Just calm down and use your head. Look up some stuff on how the updater works, you can do repairs, updates, etc, all from there without having to ever start over. You can even switch between different versions of the game, and it only replace or change the bare minimum required.

You're your own worst enemy in this particular case. Just chill, take a break from it if you have to.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=114030

Boom, very helpful link in Skatezilla's signature. You can solve all your problems from there. Note : Skate says improper usage can corrupt your install, which obviously escalates the problems considerably. Assuming you haven't already done that, you should be able to fix your install and finish the update with the information provided. If you HAVE screwed it up, then you'll probably be forced to start over. Lesson learned, be more patient next time.

I'm not quite sure if I'm being understood correctly.

It said it was downloading an update, not installing it, it never finished downloading it and therefore never started installing it.

From what I remember it download, then intstalls, it's a separate process. When I finished the DCS download it installed everything, then I downloaded the modules and it installed everything, then right after that it said it needed an update, I couldn't do anything so I let it download the update. It said it needed 4000mb to download, it went over 5000mb downloading the update, it said specifically "download" and not "installing"

Otherwise I wouldn't have ended it, but now it looks like I have to start all over (I guess) but obviously if I did that twice then it's just going to happen a third time.

Okay, firstly sorry for going utterly ballistic on the forum������

I was just ticked that I lugged my big 80 pound PC to my college class and I literally sat there many hours after class, my instructors even let me stay a couple hours after everyone in the school was gone and I locked the room up.

About a week ago I had the beta version installed, and if I remember correctly, whatever version I had did not have some graphical options in it that ened up eating my FPS so I decided to go nuclear and delete everything, over 100gb worth of stuff. Then, I decided to just download and reinstall everything fresh at my home in the satellite internet. When I downloaded DCS on my home internet it got stuck on the updater the same as mentioned above and ate 15gb of data for what it said it only needed 4gb...yeah.

So I have 50gb a month on the satellite internet because I live in the middle of nowhere and DCS apparently ate it.

Then I took it to school and tried again and after the base sim was installed I then installed all of my add ons, NTTR, F5 Tiger ll, Normandy, Spitfire, Huey etc. After it installed everything it then popped up with this dreaded updater saying it needed to update 4gb.

It went well past the 4gb download that it said it needed. Why? Where did the data go? I saw my disk space disappear and nothing actually downloaded, it just kept running off with the data and never ended and somehow went past the 4gb. To me that would be like seeing my little Toyota Yaris breaking the 120mph speedometer and flying to 220! It's not possible!(although I wish it we're in this case haha).

That's about as thourough as I can get on that

1) LOL, you are dedicated:thumbup: That's for sure. Do your teaches ask what the hell your downloading?

Again there is no real clean install, never downloaded a fresh DCS and have moved DCS around 3 PC from 2011.

Any DCS install can be copied and pasted to and from external drive, then run repair and updated (Cleaned) to any version you wish to. I mostly have gone from beta to stable and back with no problems on the one install.

A fresh install is basically deleting your or renaming your DCS Saved Games folder.

C:\Users"yourname"\Saved Games\ DCS

Simple' 2.5 Setup Guide.. Starting point to improve your FPS+

The guide above shows you where you can delete your Shader Cache in saved games, this was more for guy's with older DCS builds that upgraded, not new installs. This just made DCS rebuild the Shader Cache for 2.5

The main thing you want to download from the school is DCS 2.5 core and any bought maps, they are the very large downloads. Keep a copy of this on an external drive for backup also. Just copy the whole Eagle Dynamics folder.

Just run a the updater again now on what you have installed, it should kick off and finish, if this doesn't work run the repair and then try the updater.

You can transform DCS into any version number of the sim or just update using the DCS Updater to Update, Revert, Repair commands from the command window or use SkateZilla's GUI tool, thats what I use to quickly run a Repair and clean etc.

attachment.php?attachmentid=182848&stc=1&d=1524210875

Your file location might be different to where I copied DCS to.

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics etc

I don't have the standard windows links to these EXE's to launch DCS 2.5 because I have never installed DCS for years, I just put these links above on my desktop and launch.

dcsbin.jpg.9118483110c2d71164d0eeb44c7fe542.jpg

Edited by David OC

I ran the updater again and this time it worked. After downloading 1gb of stuff it then ran DCS and all of my addons are now there!

It's nice to have an extra map and now I can fly my Spitfire and use the ww2 assets, only thing is that I have not flown in such a long time I couldn't even remember how to fly my F5...Also I have to setup controls again which will probably take a couple hours

thanks all for the help