Engines underpowered

Mods-o_joy

In the manual for the A10C it is stated that each engine is rated for 8,900 pounds of thrust. which is 165 Pounds per engine lower then the actual A10C, which is rated for 40.3 Kilonewtons or 9065 pounds. in total we're missing about 240 Pounds of thrust. Just a small tidbit i noticed and would be great to have fixed.

Source for the corrected metric is USAF Themselves.

http://www.af.mil/About-Us/Fact-Sheets/Display/Article/104490/a-10-thunderbolt-ii/

A10C - Block 5+7, AV8B/NA Harrier, F-14B.

Pentium G4560, GTX 1050Ti, 20GB's total, 1x16GB Kingston Hyper X, And a 1x4GB Avexir Core Series kit, fleamarket mouse/keyboard, i swear it works fine :megalol:

Note that there are different versions of the A-10. I'm not sure if the thrust was ever changed but our DCS Version is Suite 3.

The article is of 2015. The current is Suite 8 or 9 or something around that.

Thrust on an A-10C is exactly the same as an A-10A. The C model upgrade did NOTHING to the engines.

Search Function,

This has been discussed already.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=171592&highlight=underpowered

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

look at this... if we can produce half that agility....

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

There is nothing wrong about that value. It's called installed thrust. Engines lose a bit of thrust when they are installed on the airframe.

I explain a bit this behavior here:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3404789&postcount=46

Its unclear if the numbers gave on the USAF Page were for installed or testbench. and the inlet to the A10s engines are less then a foot from Cowling to blade so inlet efficiency is not a very large factor if any.

Pentium G4560, GTX 1050Ti, 20GB's total, 1x16GB Kingston Hyper X, And a 1x4GB Avexir Core Series kit, fleamarket mouse/keyboard, i swear it works fine :megalol:

USAF page provides you the installed thrust, the A-10C manual (The USAF one) provides you the installed thrust. Which is 8,900 lbf.

liWDTdo.png

--

YLp2o2y.png

Point taken. although the A10 does nonetheless have performance issues.

Point taken. although the A10 does nonetheless have performance issues.

That would be for another topic.

But while we are at it; Do you have enough documentation to prove it has issues?

If you do, I truly you recommend posting all that here. I'd love to take a look at it.

I always look forward when someone brings this up. As long as they can explain what's wrong of course :) It doesn't necessarily mean it'll get fixed anytime soon though...

That would be for another topic.

But while we are at it; Do you have enough documentation to prove it has issues?

If you do, I truly you recommend posting all that here. I'd love to take a look at it.

I always look forward when someone brings this up. As long as they can explain what's wrong of course :) It doesn't necessarily mean it'll get fixed anytime soon though...

There is an entire thread on it. it was even linked here by an admin. As it is for another topic(and IS Already in another topic) im not going to bother reposting everything here because that would just be duplicating a thread.

Oh yeah, I remember that thread. I posted some comments in it too, I was curious about it as well.

But learning a bit more about turbine engines I have to say that the evidences that Yo-Yo pointed out are very solid. He even provided some stuff from GE.

The A-10C in DCS also got an increase of 10% in terms of Indicated airspeed couple of months ago.

Although it's not official, I have confirmed with a few buddies of mine. Including the 476th vFG. ITT is still the same, however.

I am not sure if this was intentional or not. But last time I checked, no one was able to prove that the DCS: A-10C was underperforming in the thrust segment.

look at this... if we can produce half that agility....

Keep in mind that the pilot was using around 30 to 40% of speed brake. That increases roll rate. Especially at 300 KIAS or above. As well as the missing pylons and low amount of fuel which means less inertial and a greater aileron response.

That perfectly matches the A-10 agility in DCS.

Sorry for being off topic here but couldn't help...

Watch the video at about 3:01 - when he goes brrrrrrrrrrt and the compass turns into a bubblebath...

looks soo funny :lol::music_whistling:

Brrrrrrrrrrrt

I'd rather call in a Strike Eagle...

I7 6700K, MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw V 3200, Inno3D GTX 1080, Samsung 970 Evo, Thrustmaster 1.6000M, TrackIr 5

Although it's not official, I have confirmed with a few buddies of mine. Including the 476th vFG. ITT is still the same, however.

Recently got the engines to spike up over 1000C in normal operation, not sure how but by god i managed it.

That's way beyond the operational limit. Maximum ITT is 865°C. But then again, a higher ITT doesn't necessarily mean a higher thrust.

Oh i was just saying it happened, so the ITT is not capped at some insanely low rate as in that one thread linked above suggests.

Didn't a real pilot say in the recent Q/A about the A-10C that the engines in DCS are underpowered compared to the real thing? I remember the person also mentioning that DCS is suite 3 and currently the A-10C is on suite 8 or 9. I'm trying to find the thread

edit: Found it.

"Q: MajorMoore

Is the A10s engines power in dcs realistic as it is in real I live right next to nellis and and I'm on the base a couple times a week and the a10 compared to f22 or f15 is relatively quiet compared to the big afterburners

A: From what I've seen, DCS engines are less powerfull than the actual A-10 engines. However, you are correct; without afterburners we simply don't produce that raw sound like the pointy nose guys."

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=170487

Edited by Dakota

This is the maximum ITT you can achieve in the sim currently. During the startup the ITT can spike to 900°C (although I've never seen it myself), but the limit is 865°C. IIRC we can't achieve rated ITT however.

npwucyJ.jpg

Didn't a real pilot say in the recent Q/A about the A-10C that the engines in DCS are underpowered compared to the real thing? I remember the person also mentioning that DCS is suite 3 and currently the A-10C is on suite 8 or 9. I'm trying to find the thread

edit: Found it.

"Q: MajorMoore

Is the A10s engines power in dcs realistic as it is in real I live right next to nellis and and I'm on the base a couple times a week and the a10 compared to f22 or f15 is relatively quiet compared to the big afterburners

A: From what I've seen, DCS engines are less powerfull than the actual A-10 engines. However, you are correct; without afterburners we simply don't produce that raw sound like the pointy nose guys."

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=170487

The engines are correct going off the data supplied to ED, the allowed increase in ITT is from possible allowable tolerances that the engineers sign off on. The ITT will change to keep the engine within the performance range of the TF 34.

We dont know why this is different or allowed by the manual? The spec sheets ED has are different seen HERE and HERE.

You can also fly the A-10 by the numbers in sim to check performance figures. Not just I think it's slower or it feels slower etc.

-

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

So the pilot is wrong?

"From what I've seen?"

A sim feels a lot different than the real thing, it could feel slower from "From what his seen" etc.

Many IRL A10 pilots helped build the A-10C, plus the data was supplied.

Did they do a crap job?

You start buy checking the numbers compared to the charts for a sim, that's all, because it definitely will not feel or look the same as flying one IRL.

-

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

The engines are correct going off the data supplied to ED, the allowed increase in ITT is from possible allowable tolerances that the engineers sign off on. The ITT will change to keep the engine within the performance range of the TF 34.

We dont know why this is different or allowed by the manual? The spec sheets ED has are different seen HERE and HERE.

You can also fly the A-10 by the numbers in sim to check performance figures. Not just I think it's slower or it feels slower etc.

-

Yes we can in fact fly by the numbers.

But we still can't calculate the thrust. We don't have the proper tools.

Simple formula which would probably give an end to this discussion is Mass*V1-V2/G. But we don't have the necessary information to supply this formula with the numbers. And I don't think Yo-Yo is going to give us those numbers.

Yes we can in fact fly by the numbers.

But we still can't calculate the thrust. We don't have the proper tools.

Simple formula which would probably give an end to this discussion is Mass*V1-V2/G. But we don't have the necessary information to supply this formula with the numbers. And I don't think Yo-Yo is going to give us those numbers.

I have to go, but quickly, what do you need this data for? Even the engine guy's in the military don't check thrust when the engines are out of the jet, you are still relying on the manufacturers numbers and does the aircrft hit the numbers stated it would on the spec sheet.