JF-17 Thunder Discussions

probad

Last time I tried on an arcadey MP server, I put a PP pt on all 4 since I could see them on f10. I hit 3 out of 4 Sam's that were placed in a side to side line very close together. I'm actually confident that the 4th one only survived because a building was between us.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

is everyone actually happy with the 3rd Person fly by sound of the jf 17 ?

i am sorry so say this but it really makes me feel bad when an idling f14 is louder than an jf17 taking off full AB. (No that does not mean the f14 should be quiter!)

And also the non AB fly by sound is barely existing.

I dont know maybe someone has a diffrent opinion here ?

i am sorry so say this but it really makes me feel bad when an idling f14 is louder than an jf17 taking off full AB. (No that does not mean the f14 should be quiter!)

Sounds are WIP

Yes I agree, the Afterburner sounds and probably just the sounds in general need to be still worked on, in the JF-17

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Planes: FC3, P-51, F-86, F-5E, Mirage 2000, F/A-18, F-14, F-16, Mig-19P :joystick:

ED pls gib A-4 and F-4 :cry:

Anyone notice that gunsight modes other then LCOS work pretty well now? There’s still moments it multiplies or gets really bright, but it’s really impressive how accurate it is, it really does perfectly trace your bullets in SS and SSLC

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

Deka need to start prioritizing Gunsight and ACM radar improvements.

The new FM kinda makes it a decent BFM plane, even if the gun itself is cruddy.

The biggest issue isn't even the gun imo, but rather the incredibly laggy gunsight and buggy ACM modes.

Okay, what’s wrong with them? The ACM modes would work faster using the actual pattern, but I believe F-18 and F-16 have same issues, the radar only scans in horizontal bars.

I don’t think there’s any evidence it has a better gunsight, if something like EEGS was introduced that would be nice, but Deka is really the only information source on this. The Mirage 2000 for example has an equally redimuentary sight

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

You find that better then the gun cross? The problem with the gun cross is that since the gun points down even though it shoots at the same angle as the gun cross the bullets will never rise up enough to go through it on the HUD. That’s why I like the SSLC/SS Modes now that they work, as they both show the actual path your bullets take and how they don’t quite go all the way up to the gun cross, versus the LCOS mode which just draws a straight line from the gun cross to where your SSLC/SS pipper would be, so I think SSLC/SS is far more useful as it better shows you how that pipper is computed compared to default LCOS.

I don’t think it lags at all it’s just simple gyro sight like a gun funnel, it has a settling time and you must always shoot one bullet TOF before the pipper is on target

It's definitely laggy, LCOS in particular is extremely sluggish compared to the Flankers, Hornet and Eagle.

Even the Tomcat's boomer-ass radar has a better Lead-compute gunsight than the, "most modern aircraft in DCS".

Sure SS-LC are "better" but they still lag a bit and could use some tightening, not to mention the rendering bug.

And ACM modes are pretty bugged rn:

Tomcat has a fully working VS ACM mode with correct bar and degree count, and AFAICT Hornet does too. We got the super slow 30-bar, 3 degree scan.

S2 depress doesn't work properly since the radar will immediately reacquire the target you just unlocked.

Using BRST and HACQ always sends the antenna elevation to the top so you have to wait for it to come back down to start scanning the correct area.

All these bugs and oversights unnecessarily handicap the JF-17 in a dogfight. It'd be a hell of a lot more dangerous if these issues were resolved.

Yes, the Flankers Eagles and Hornets do all have better gunsights that are actually predictive. I’m just saying it’s on par with funnel only sights and gunsight of Mirage 2000, when I first flew it I also thought it was very laggy becuase I was so used to Flankers, but once I looked up tutorials on guns fighting with Mirage 2000 or funnel sights things made sense, it’s just I think LCOS makes it harder to understand, here’s why,

It has to lag to the same amount as your bullets do, when you first turn on SSLC/SS you see the line extend from your airplane as if it’s the actual bullet at the same speed as the real bullets. So when you maneuver, the line traced by the gunsight is exactly where bullets go, it’s pretty cool to turn off the limiter and cork screw around and see how perfectly the bullets follow the line. It’s just hard to see in LCOS, where you are only exposed to a singular range.

I also can barely wait for the day it gets its full ACM modes, that will be a very fun addition. I have wondered about the unlock in ACM thing in the past....

• 2 weeks later...

Lovely module, amazing work DEKA. Besides the functionality of the Jeff which is no doubt more important, however to many people who are just viewers of DCS, visual and aural effects are pretty important too. I was watching the following Air show video of the Jeff - 2018, and was amazed how aggressive and powerful it looks and sounds compared to the one we have on DCS. Please watch this video, and focus on the following three things:

1- Engine Sound at different angles

2- Engine smoke at different settings (Almost minimal, not like the DCS train engine look)

3- The size of vortices, vapor streaks over the lerx, compared to the puny white lines visible currently in DCS.

Now i understand somethings might be out of DEKA's hands, but we would love if some attention is given to make it closer to the real Jeff as possible visual and aural wise too.

Edited by uboats

Hey I have a question.

Is it possible to tell C-802AKG to return to flying to its target coordinates or otherwise possible to see where the target is supposed to be?

I often find myself disoriented once the missile feed comes on and I am not sure exactly where the missile is or where I need to pan to find the target, Thanks!

The community newbie

http://winsbydefault.com/pics/dctf1ibxh7.gif

Replace this image! It's too big! © Administration

(max size: 150pix height, 50kb)

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone noticed a drop in FPS when in the JF17 cockpit, compared to F16 or F18 and others (in VR)?

In the same conditions, I have about 30-35 fps in the JF17 cockpit, in the F16 for example I have 45+ FPS. Same conditions, MP server and all...

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to raise something I suspected. I was testing the RWR ranging with SPJ against fox three missiles. Realized that for front aspect or rear aspect shots where the missile is within the 30 degrees of azimuth from your nose or tail you can still have it not range if the missile is above or below or certain elevation. Maybe I’m an idiot and it’s also 30 degrees, but in testing it seemed like a 15-20 degree elevation limit. Which makes sense since especially upwards the airframe is blocking perfect signal to and from the jammer/ESM.

Can anyone let me know if I have that about right or am I super off?

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't flown the aircraft for months due to time restrictions, mainly played/learned it after release.

Also couldn't find anything on the go... But is it possible, to remove the fuel nozzle? As far as I remember it wasn't attached to the airplane in the days after release and has been added later (Flew it the last 2 days again, annoying to look at :P). Is there like a disable option like for the L39 when you want to use the NS430?

1000 flights, 1000 crashes - perfect record