F/A-18C system vs A-10C Systems.

BLMOA

I am new to DCS and purchased the A-10C and F-15C. I have spent all my time in the A-10C and man the learning curve is steep. I have the Wart Hog HOTAS as well. I am wondering is the F/A-18C going to be as hard to learn? What I mean is all the different avionic systems and modes and buttons on the HOTAS. I have pre-purchased the Hornet. I was flying the superbug in FSX and liked it a lot except there are no missions or campaigns as FSX is really supported anymore.

F/A-18 will be a study level sim. I think it will be extremely rewarding to learn it.

PC: ASROCK Z370 Gaming K6 | Intel i7 8700K | GeForce 2080TI | 32GB GeSkill 3200 RAM | GeForce 2080TI | 500GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 | 1TB Samsung 860 EVO M.2

FLIGHT STUFF: Rift S | Warthog Base | Virpil Base | Hornet Grip | A-10 Grip | Cougar Grip | Virpil F-14 Grip | Cougar MFD's | A-10C UFC | Saitek Flight Panels | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

F/A18C will have more automated systems so Memorising and stuff pertaining to Startup is easier, but F/A18 will have more MFD pages and more Avionics like Radar to learn, among maybe other weapons given its Multi mission nature.

although TBH for myself or others after learning A10C, FA18C wont feel daunting to study

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

We'll also have quite some time to learn, given the limited capabilities on Early Access launch, and new features slowly getting released over the following months.

I doubt it will feel intimidating :-)

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

I imagine the Radar in the f18c is much like in the F16

The f16 also have many radar modes and many mfd pages.

I would imagine if you look some videos of the old falcon 4.0 or

Falcon BMS that this is what you can expect from the f18 radar.

There are several sub modes such as GM- GMT - SEA- EXT 1, EXT 2 and other modes.

Tip..: here is BMS 4.33 video.. there are more radar in this one, and by the way a cool video that show how far the old falcon 4.0 have advanced into what look like a more modern sim.. by the way it is fans of falcon 4 who keep developing on the sim since it was discontinued more than 10 years ago.. really amazing what they are doing

I like to say this is a guess, i dont know the f18c that well, but they are from more or less the same era, and have the same look alike cockpit with some differences.. Example the f15-f16-f18 and other planes all have the same MDF computer screen with buttons arround the display. And they have many other things in common.

PS... If some of you do not know Falcon 4.0 that can be bought on steam. Then i can highly recommend it, especially if you get the mod BMS then the old game get some newer graphics and many new more "real life" features that add more to this old game...However there are less buttons to press than in dcs, but never the less the falcon 4.0 game have the best dynamic war campaign avaliable. game cost 10usd on steam.

Edited by delevero

I imagine the Radar in the f18c is much like in the F16

The f16 also have many radar modes and many mfd pages.

I would imagine if you look some videos of the old falcon 4.0 or

Falcon BMS that this is what you can expect from the f18 radar.

There are several sub modes such as GM- GMT - SEA- EXT 1, EXT 2 and other modes.

Tip..: here is BMS 4.33 video.. there are more radar in this one, and by the way a cool video that show how far the old falcon 4.0 have advanced into what look like a more modern sim.. by the way it is fans of falcon 4 who keep developing on the sim since it was discontinued more than 10 years ago.. really amazing what they are doing

I like to say this is a guess, i dont know the f18c that well, but they are from more or less the same era, and have the same look alike cockpit with some differences.. Example the f15-f16-f18 and other planes all have the same MDF computer screen with buttons arround the display. And they have many other things in common.

PS... If some of you do not know Falcon 4.0 that can be bought on steam. Then i can highly recommend it, especially if you get the mod BMS then the old game get some newer graphics and many new more "real life" features that add more to this old game...However there are less buttons to press than in dcs, but never the less the falcon 4.0 game have the best dynamic war campaign avaliable. game cost 10usd on steam.

there is difference HOTAS logic between hornet and falcon, such as in hornet there is neither DMS nor TMS. so you'd better forget falcon when learning hornet or you will be confused.

I7-6700K OC 4.9G, 896G SSD, 32G RAM @ 2400MHz, NH-D15 cooling system,TM Hotas Warthog,Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals,TrackIr 5, BOSE M2

I'm similarly interested in the F/A-18C after driving the A-10C for several years; I've really enjoyed & appreciated the 'learning curve' of it's systems. My 2 main concerns with the F/A-18C are:

Integration with my existing hardware; I have the TM Warthog HOTAS, MFCDs, Orbweaver keyboard, and TrackIR5 now and don't really want/need to be spending on replacement equipment. Will my current setup handle the tasks to be really engaged without relying on keyboard entry and mouse clicks more than I do with the Warthog?

Secondly, due to eye issues (age & detached retina) I couldn't find the Hindenburg in the sky if my life (or squad) depended on it. Because of that I'm absolute sh#t in A2A combat and won't drive/buy a fighter generally. But if there are enough opportunities in the DCS world of things to be a 'ground pounder' then I'd be interested in signing that enlistment for the 'A' in F/A-18C.

Comments welcome, please....

Asus B85 Pro Gamer - 32GB - Intel® Core i5-4460 CPU - SanDisk SDSSDXPS480G -Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

TrackIR5 - TM Warthog HOTAS Stick & Throttle - TM Cougar MFCDs - TM TPR Rudder Pedals - Razer Orbweaver - SoundBlasterX G5 DAC

Secondly, due to eye issues (age & detached retina) I couldn't find the Hindenburg in the sky if my life (or squad) depended on it. Because of that I'm absolute sh#t in A2A combat and won't drive/buy a fighter generally. But if there are enough opportunities in the DCS world of things to be a 'ground pounder' then I'd be interested in signing that enlistment for the 'A' in F/A-18C.

Wags posted what weapons/sensors will be included with the EA and what will be added later on here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3285514&postcount=13

AG is my favourite job in DCS too, looks like the FA-18 will be a good plane for this job.

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

Based on another serious "early Super Hornet" sim, I think the Hornet weapons system will be easier than A-10C, especially the HOTAS which is more simple.

Starting the A-10 is so easy: Battery, Inverter, APU, Fuel pump, generator, engines... basically. It took me about an hour to get all that down pat. Seems like the F-18 is similar.

The HOTAS for the A-10, holy crap, it's been a month and I still don't have it... learning what 20 buttons do is hard, but when all the buttons are different depending on your SOI / mode? Oh man... I'm hoping you're right about the F-18!

One foot in front of the other foot ...

It just takes time and patience.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

I'm similarly interested in the F/A-18C after driving the A-10C for several years; I've really enjoyed & appreciated the 'learning curve' of it's systems. My 2 main concerns with the F/A-18C are:

Integration with my existing hardware; I have the TM Warthog HOTAS, MFCDs, Orbweaver keyboard, and TrackIR5 now and don't really want/need to be spending on replacement equipment. Will my current setup handle the tasks to be really engaged without relying on keyboard entry and mouse clicks more than I do with the Warthog?

I just happen to have the exact same controller setup (although my pedals are MFG Crosswinds). I don't have your eye issues but I almost gave up DCS because I couldn't locate ground targets when I was using the Su-25T in 1.5, and what saved me was switching to the Viggen so I could fly closer to the ground.

If you are waiting to purchase until those questions are answered, feel free to PM me after EA has started and I will be able to answer your controller questions, and I should be able to provide an opinion on ease of target location, albeit from a different viewpoint (no pun).

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

DSD Flight Series button controller, XK-24, Oculus Rift (HM-A)

The Hornet does not use "more buttons". In fact the Hornet hotas comes with less hats and buttons. So yes, you should be able to bind every hotas functions in the Warthog Hotas to control all combat operations in the hornet. You will have some free buttons to bind other functionalities. It will be again a question of remembering what the hotas specific buttons do as a function of the radar or combat mode you are in. So I guess it will bereally similar to the A10C with all the SOIs