Need some X52 setup help!

So my buddy took pity on my pathetic setup (I was using a Microsoft 8-button Sidewinder) and he sent me his old X52 HOTAS.

So here I am with alot more buttons to worry about but I have run into two problems:

1) I am told the best thing to do is only assign the axis, slider, and rotaries in the sim, but use the SST software for everything else, so that seemed like a good place to start. Well I have managed to assign all of them but I cannot seem to be able to find where 'rotary2' is:

Rotator2.jpg

I have flicked everything and turned everything and cannot seem to located it. I thought it might be the mouse-wheel-like thingy on the front of the throttle quadrant but that does not seem to be it. Anyone know?

2) Also, I have read that I can use the 'pinky-switch' to double up on each button for each mode. I assign a function to the 'Mode 1 + Pinkie' mode but when I try it out (ie hold pinky switch and press button), it does not appear to work. I can confirm by testing it with the clutch button, in that the MFD shows that nothing it assigned to the button. Is there a trick to this part?

--Maulkin

Windows 10 64-bit - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @ 3.7 GHz - 32 GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 - Asus Crosshair VIII Hero motherboard - Samsung EVO Pro 1 TB SSD - TrackIR 4 Pro - Thrustmaster Warthog - Saitek rudder pedals - Lilliput UM-80/C with TM Cougars

If I follow you- this is a default setup that you found when you came to this screen? Otherwise- you would know exactly what is where because you would have assigned it. If this is the case- I would delete ALL of these default settings and re map them manually. The rotary or axis will appear to you when you assign them.

Try this page- it applies to ANY stick as far as initial setup. As a saitek owner- you'll find more info specific to you as well.

http://www.freewebs.com/konkussion/x45helpdesk.htm

Note- I was not able to get the trim surfaces to work as an axis with my X45. For example-the aileron trim axis simply returns to center just like the roll axis. It should-of course- hold the position that I input to it. I had to map it with bands in SST. Your X52 may be different- try it out.

Actually everything in that screen shot was configured manually by me. I had to delete the initial stuff that my old Sidewinder had, then selected the X52 under the DEVICE, then clicked on trim rudder and selected CHANGE, and from the drop down menu I chose the rotary2. I actually tested rotary2 with the 'target specified size' to see if I could get any response and saw nothing. Then I tested the same function with rotary0 and rotary1, which maps to the two turn-wheels on the throttle, and it worked fine.

I just cant figure out where rotary2 is on the HOTAS....

--Maulkin

Windows 10 64-bit - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @ 3.7 GHz - 32 GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 - Asus Crosshair VIII Hero motherboard - Samsung EVO Pro 1 TB SSD - TrackIR 4 Pro - Thrustmaster Warthog - Saitek rudder pedals - Lilliput UM-80/C with TM Cougars

I think Rotator 2 is the joystick twist axis - normally used for rudder.

If you want to assign an axis/wheel/rotary to a function: select the function, click change, and then perform a movement across that axis. EG, turn the rotary dial of your choice on the throttle, and Lock On should detect the movement.

Gah your right. I actually locked the joystick from twisting as I do have pedals. Tested the twist and discovered that is in fact rotary2.

So now regarding the pinkie switch......how does one use that with the SST software?

--Maulkin

You can use it to create another set of 3 modes or you can assign it as an alternate key such as "shift" or "ctrl" to be used in combination with another command.

Example: my throttle mini stick is up down left and right.

used alone: it moves all the reticles & tdc's

used with pinkie (shift): moves my radar scan cone on applicable planes.

Personally- I don't need 6 modes. I have separate profiles for the planes I fly.

Yay I figured it out. It is yet another case of RTFM (or Read the F*cking Manual), where it clearly states you have to set the pinky button as either a command or as a shift button. Now I have all that figured out I need to plan how I am going about this. Going to take a very long time I am afraid and even longer to try and remember it. ;)

Thanks alot KonKussion for your rapid responses and help with this! :)

--Maulkin

I dont use the pinky switch. actually, i use that for selecting weapons in combat moads and the drague chute for landing mode. If you wan't my profile, i'll attatch it if you would like.

DCS Wishlist: 1) FIX THE DAMN RIVERS!!! 2) Spherical or cylindrical panorama view projection. 3) Enhanced input options (action upon button release, etc). 4) Aircraft flight parameter dump upon exit (stick posn, attitude, rates, accel, control volume, control-surface positions, SAS bias, etc). 5) ADS-33 maneuver courses as static objects. 6) Exposed API or exports of trim position and stick force for custom controllers. 7) Select auto multiple audio devices