how to update

Anthony96

My version of DCS is not updating to 2.5.1 Open Beta. I have tried running the updater through the command line and that does not work.

Please would you tell me how to get my 2.5.0 install to update?

Thanks!

CptT

CPU: Intel Core i5 4590 3.3GHz, RAM: 32GB HyperX Fury 1600MHz DDR3, GFX: EVGA GTX 1080, OS: Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, Joy: TM Warthog, Peds: CH Pro Pedals, TrackIR3, VR: Vive

Sounds like you have the standard Stable Release installation of DCS. This one doesn't update to a beta version, but you can convert your Stable Release to become the Open Beta, which will then update to 2.5.1.

To do so, you need to run the updater through the command line with the following command: DCS_updater.exe update @openbeta

Additional information on how to use the updater can be found here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=114030

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Thanks.

I am downloading the beta from the downloads section. It says that is the 2.5 Beta but it actually appears to be the 2.5.1 version.

This will work out well if there is a problem with it - at least then I can revert to the 2.5 version that is working.

CPU: Intel Core i5 4590 3.3GHz, RAM: 32GB HyperX Fury 1600MHz DDR3, GFX: EVGA GTX 1080, OS: Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, Joy: TM Warthog, Peds: CH Pro Pedals, TrackIR3, VR: Vive

If you already have 2.5.0 installed and you download and run the installer for 2.5.1; you will have two DCS World installs, one 2.5.0 and currently 2.5.1

NATO - BF callsign: BLACKRAIN

2x X5675 hexacore CPUs for 24 cores | 72GB DDR3 ECC RAM 3 channel | GTX 1050Ti | 500GB SSD on PCIe lane | CH Products HOTAS | TrackIR5 | Win 7 64

Because 2.5.1 is available for public testing, we can all chip in and test it to lend feedback, more eyes on the prize. The changes in Open Beta should be considered unstable. Stable does get updated as it progresses, when 2.5.1 is considered stable; your 2.5.0 install will be updated.

2x X5675 hexacore CPUs for 24 cores | 72GB DDR3 ECC RAM 3 channel | GTX 1050Ti | 500GB SSD on PCIe lane | CH Products HOTAS | TrackIR5 | Win 7 64

So why didnt ed have 2.5.0 stable updated as it progresses? Getting stupid. May as well downloaded the beta version in first place.

Cool your jets, Turbo; there's nothing stupid about this at all, this is how the programming world has operated for quite some time. Open Beta is there for public testing and feedback, don't fancy walking into undesirable crashes or broken functionality; stick with stable.

By way of example, operating systems like those of the Unix, GNU/Linux variety; if someone runs an unstable version of it, they are effectively stating they're willing to troubleshoot problems, otherwise stick with stable.

DCS doesn't update to DCS Open Beta in much the same way that Microsoft Word doesn't update into Adobe Photoshop. They are different pieces of software.

It says that is the 2.5 Beta but it actually appears to be the 2.5.1 version.
2.5.1 is considered to be 2.5 in the same way that March 10th and March 11th are both considered to be March.

So why didnt ed have 2.5.0 stable updated as it progresses? Getting stupid. May as well downloaded the beta version in first place.

Because updates bring issues that need public testing. It's not good to update the main software with problems as this prevents people from playing.

Yes, you should have DCS installed always and if you want to be a tester then get DCS Open Beta in addition to DCS. It is possible to only have the testing version DCS Open Beta and not the playing version DCS but I do not recommend it.

Thats all I wanted to know. I never knock testing as I used to test for microsoft so know a little bit about it. My gripe is that with all software, it would be nice to word things in a way that helps people out so there is no confusion.

Thats all I wanted to know. I never knock testing as I used to test for microsoft so know a little bit about it. My gripe is that with all software, it would be nice to word things in a way that helps people out so there is no confusion.

When ED first started this update process they have now I was also very confused but it does make perfect sense now. Prior to this line of beta testing we had all the bugs released on fridays just right before the weekend massive event ant it killed it kompletely many times. People were installing and uninstalling and getting all kinds of problems along the way. Now the new process for updates is really simple. ED will update the OpenBeta version when they have a internally tested update that seems to work. Then everyone that have installed the OpenBeta version can update their installation and most of the times it comes with a set of new bugs, almost always. These bugs on the OpenBeta can be game breaking so a lot of features stops working or they could be minor, it does not matter, it is a beta version so the bugs are completely fine but they needs to be found. Now everyone that is running the release version is not subjected to these bugs as they will normally be running the most bug free version that exists. When all/or most bugs are solved in the OpenBeta version then it will be published to the release version. Now that may have some new bugs right away as it most of the time is not the same build as the OpenBeta build, at least that is how it used to be. If the release happens to break some of your most dear unit you play you are perfectly fine to downgrade your installation of the release version back to the previous version and still be playing "offline" with that module. As ED now are finished with all the work on both 1.5, 2.2 and now only concentrate their work on 2.5 I suspect we will have more stable release versions coming down the pipe, and maybe more often have game breaking bugs in the OpenBeta version so ED can discover the bugs faster and get a bigger crowd to test the build. So if you don't like to test things you should always keep the 2.5 release version updated to the build you prefere. You can also have many installations of DCS on the same computer to make it easier to switch between for instance clean release version and modded release version. I have 5 installations of DCS now covering 1.5 and 2.5 versions for both clean versions and modded versions, it works perfectly.

I admit, Im not a brain surgeon. I got to the point where I was not even sure what version I was running. Long story short, I spent a few weeks in the forums bouncing around thru loads of pages of info, only to get more confused. What I did know was that I was running 'DCS World OpenBeta' according to my Directory, and the numbers were 251 16543.

At which point I was not sure at all what I was supposed to be running. I just read HiJacks response above, and it seemed to clear up my confusion

(Thank you sir). I did however (for experimental purposes) downloaded DCS World Release version 250 15365 yesterday. I did not yet configure it, but now im wondering why I should even have it? I have NOT seen anything yet regarding any improved performance compared to Open Beta? The download used another 80 gig of space, I can live with that if its worth having, it just substantially increases my routine system backups.

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

• 2 weeks later...

I recently bought the new campaign for L-39 and found I couldn't fly it

because I have the stable version and campaign only available in beta

version. My concern now is when new map and hornet is released I won't

be able to fly hornet in new map because they were released for beta version

only.

Is this a valid concern?

What you can do if you don't have room on your PC for the two DCS builds is to switch the build from Release to Beta.

You can do this by using the windows command window, I will point out Windows 10 will now open power shell when (hold left shift, right clicking a folder) so now in these instructions, you need to switch to cmd by typing cmd in the power shell window as seen written here.

Or just use SkateZilla's DCS Updater GUI Utility to switch the build back and forth from stable release to beta.

attachment.php?attachmentid=184809&stc=1&d=1526689413

If you want two DCS builds on your PC and don't want to download the other version completely? Just copy the stable install, then you could convert that build to the beta, many here reinstall DCS. There is no need to clean reinstall, you can clean any install using the links from the win command window or just use SkateZilla's GUI

that does these things for you etc.

Some Command window commands

DCS_updater.exe update @release

DCS_updater.exe update @openbeta

DCS_Updater.exe cleanup

DCS_updater.exe repair

One more way LOL:) These can also be used in a .bat file and place in the main DCS directory as seen at the bottom of this support page.

As you can see all these methods are all doing the same thing to ANY DCS install on your PC.

attachment.php?attachmentid=184810&stc=1&d=1526690762

Just Double click on the .bat file you what to launch once setup.

Your directory could be

C:\program files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World

I just copied the whole DCS folder back to C:\ from an external drive after I built this new PC, then ran the clean, repair and update commands. If you ever need do this, just deactivate the licenses under the module manger first if you don't want to lose some of your license activation's etc.

-

UpdaterGUI.thumb.jpg.c843aa5a74f4c9271c116b2838010cac.jpg

UpdaterBat.jpg.7c0bd9ab11dadc4d49ac7e22f6ef2abd.jpg

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Cool your jets, Turbo; there's nothing stupid about this at all, this is how the programming world has operated for quite some time. Open Beta is there for public testing and feedback, don't fancy walking into undesirable crashes or broken functionality; stick with stable.

By way of example, operating systems like those of the Unix, GNU/Linux variety; if someone runs an unstable version of it, they are effectively stating they're willing to troubleshoot problems, otherwise stick with stable.

The way you have described this is very clear and concise. Thank you! I am extremely new to the computer world and struggled to figure out all the different versions etc. I posted a while back about this topic and asked a few questions. The replies were pretty good. I think DCS should hire you guys to write some of this on their site so new people can easily get it. The learning curve in computing is steep and what seems second nature to most is like learning a new language to others.

• 5 months later...

Would SkateZilla's program be a viable choice to attempt to fix a registry path error? I downloaded the sim to C:\ drive then moved to K:\ but apparently not everything moved because when I attempted to update the sim I got a log stating "the system cannot find the file specified." It was looking in C:\Users\Sam\Downloads\bin/DCS.exe:

Everything you ever wanted to know but were afraid to ask...

Is very well explained here

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals