Track IR5 wobble

Howdy All:

I'm using (trying actually) to get IR 5 w/5.4.2.27545 software with DCS World 2.5. But I have two questions. Using DCS-WAGS IR profile: (I've tried several others, including my own but Wags is the closest one so far)

1. How do you make the yaw movement stable? That is to say when looking left/right, how do you make the very subtle wobble "stop" where you intend to look.

From looking center>look right/left (full 90 deg) parallel to your shoulder I always get a very subtle wobble on the yaw axis Vs a dead stop to where I'm looking. This doesn't occur with Roll or Pitch.

I've tried One:One, deadzones and smooth Templates but always end with the same subtle yet tiny wobble... a nuisance wobble :(

I understand moving a node vertically adjusts the yaw travel horizontally, but what does the horizontal spacing of nodes do? I don't see anything change when I move them further or closer to each other.

2. How can I permanently set the view point within the cockpit. I use ALT-SHF / and * for forward/back and ALT-SHF Num 2 and 8 for up and down. I read somewhere that ALT-Num 0 saves it but it's lost when I close DCS World. Is there a way to view the adjustments made then place those coordinates in the aircraft *.lua?

Thanks for any help and suggestions. :)

I've only had wobble as you describe it when I'd inadvertently damaged the TrackClip-Pro for the headphone mount, they're really fragile at the pivot points (mine snapped at the fork to the three IR lights), I bonded mine back in place as the mechanical joint is very small.

If yours is not damaged then I'd look at how you've got that mounted to the headphones, perhaps the clamp is loose.

Oh, and be careful with the TrackClip-Pro, did I mention; they're fragile... I think they make them from biscuits.

-edit-;

I should add that the wobble will almost certainly be coming from the clip wobbling, whether you're using the baseball cap reflectors, or the pro clip.

Edited by ouPhrontis

NATO - BF callsign: BLACKRAIN

2x X5675 hexacore CPUs for 24 cores | 72GB DDR3 ECC RAM 3 channel | GTX 1050Ti | 500GB SSD on PCIe lane | CH Products HOTAS | TrackIR5 | Win 7 64

The spacing of nodes just allows you to control the curve. If its linear, you only need 2 points. But if you have a non-linear curve, it allows control of it.

As for the default view. You need to edit the SnapviewsDefault.lua. I have always found the vertical angle offset to be very annoying especially with the Russian HMD's, as you are looking down your nose at that circle. [13] is the center view. I edit the vAngle to 0 on all of the aircraft.

I've only had wobble as you describe it when I'd inadvertently damaged the TrackClip-Pro for the headphone mount, they're really fragile at the pivot points (mine snapped at the fork to the three IR lights), I bonded mine back in place as the mechanical joint is very small.

If yours is not damaged then I'd look at how you've got that mounted to the headphones, perhaps the clamp is loose.

Oh, and be careful with the TrackClip-Pro, did I mention; they're fragile... I think they make them from biscuits.

-edit-;

I should add that the wobble will almost certainly be coming from the clip wobbling, whether you're using the baseball cap reflectors, or the pro clip.

Thanks for the advise. Thankfully the pro clip/camera aren't damage. It's my description that's damaged. :)

It's difficult explaining what is happening. When I look L/R 90 degrees, instead of stopping at 90, there's a very subtle wiggle (horizontal oscillation) before coming to a stop. Imagine turning your head and then shake it 1/2mm each direction before coming to a stop. It only happens on the yaw axis.

The spacing of nodes just allows you to control the curve. If its linear, you only need 2 points. But if you have a non-linear curve, it allows control of it.

As for the default view. You need to edit the SnapviewsDefault.lua. I have always found the vertical angle offset to be very annoying especially with the Russian HMD's, as you are looking down your nose at that circle. [13] is the center view. I edit the vAngle to 0 on all of the aircraft.

Thanks a lot for the info. I'll give that a try. I've been attempting to adjust the view to eliminate the fish-eye lens effect when looking around. Especially looking outside from the cockpit. The clouds for example tend to warp a bit in the default cockpit view.

I found by zooming toward the HUD then backing out to view the top 1/2 of the instruments and fine tune it via CTL-SHF / and * removes that warping and object distances inside the cockpit represent external distances.

The depth perception didn't seem natural i.e., that the runway threshold appeared further away inside the cockpit and closer in the external view. The disadvantage is my cutting off 1/2 of the HUD speed/altitude strips since I can not adjust the HUD view.

Edited by Chitto

That is odd. Not sure why it would only affect the yaw axis and not the others.....

Try playing with the Smoothness setting in TrackIR. I have mine on 10 (0-50 range) to make it snappy, but this is my personal preference. Try cranking it up?

Watch the reflectors in the camera view in TrackIR software while moving your head in that area. Do you see extra artifacts? Or do the green spots go red at all?

Also, might want to check the axis tuning for the TrackIR axes in DCS controls settings. I have mine all on default, but you may have changed something there? That could explain the single-axis nature of the issue maybe.

Good luck!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My Setup: Vive Pro 2, RTX 3090, I7-11700K, VKB Gladiator II/K conversion, TWCS, TPR pedals, PlaySeat, SimShaker, VoiceAttack

Also, regarding the fish-eye effect, I use the following zoom axis tuning profile to fix it. I like the Y-saturation set at 75, but you may want to reduce it further to get a truly "normal" view.

picture.php?albumid=1528&pictureid=9867

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My Setup: Vive Pro 2, RTX 3090, I7-11700K, VKB Gladiator II/K conversion, TWCS, TPR pedals, PlaySeat, SimShaker, VoiceAttack

That is odd. Not sure why it would only affect the yaw axis and not the others.....

Try playing with the Smoothness setting in TrackIR. I have mine on 10 (0-50 range) to make it snappy, but this is my personal preference. Try cranking it up?

Watch the reflectors in the camera view in TrackIR software while moving your head in that area. Do you see extra artifacts? Or do the green spots go red at all?

Also, might want to check the axis tuning for the TrackIR axes in DCS controls settings. I have mine all on default, but you may have changed something there? That could explain the single-axis nature of the issue maybe.

Good luck!

Howdy Darrylx444 and thanks. atm my smoothness is at 50, it was at 0 but am backing it down in increments of 5 until I find what works.

I don't see any artifacts, but truthfully, I'm not sure I have the IR5 camera in the correct position. Currently it's (on a Asus 27" IPS monitor) approx. 2"/5cm left of center. In the camera view the middle green node is dead center, however, the nodes move further to the right than to the left when moving through the range, (edge-to-edge of the monitor).

I saw your photo in your next post and will verify the settings again, but will also try your saturation setting. I think your ideas are narrowing things down to the culprit, thanks.

The camera being offset will probably affect the difference in movement from left to right, but I don't think it will cause any wobble.

In the TIR software, at the bottom under advanced settings and then the camera tab there is video processing mode, which should be precision. But in order to enable precision mode, by default you have to hit F7 to see how it works in the software. There is also a precision smoothing value, the IR filter and the IR brightness that all might contribute to less jitter/wobble/bouncing. It may be a case of when you are trying to troubleshoot in the software, its in normal mode but then when you load up DCS its turning on precision mode.

Also, does the jitter occur in the center? Along the entire movement? Or just at the edges of your movement?

Edited by =Prophet=

Look back at the room where you're situated, too, as there may be something shiny/reflective that the camera is confusing for the TIR-clip.

NATO - BF callsign: BLACKRAIN

2x X5675 hexacore CPUs for 24 cores | 72GB DDR3 ECC RAM 3 channel | GTX 1050Ti | 500GB SSD on PCIe lane | CH Products HOTAS | TrackIR5 | Win 7 64

The camera being offset will probably affect the difference in movement from left to right, but I don't think it will cause any wobble.

In the TIR software, at the bottom under advanced settings and then the camera tab there is video processing mode, which should be precision. But in order to enable precision mode, by default you have to hit F7 to see how it works in the software. There is also a precision smoothing value, the IR filter and the IR brightness that all might contribute to less jitter/wobble/bouncing. It may be a case of when you are trying to troubleshoot in the software, its in normal mode but then when you load up DCS its turning on precision mode.

Also, does the jitter occur in the center? Along the entire movement? Or just at the edges of your movement?

Hi Prophet: Thanks for the info. My IR5 software is showing:

LED Brightness = 63

Rotation = 0

Light filter = 240

IR Brightness = 11 (No light interference, Monitor has soft light back lighting.

Video Process Mode = Precision w/ and w/o enabling via the hotkey

I centered the camera this time Vs the 2" L-Offset. It seems to be an improvement. When looking/stopping at 90 degree L/R the view doesn't seem have the subtle bungee cord effect as much. Instead of 3-4 oscillations I get maybe 2-3, but still odd.

Look back at the room where you're situated, too, as there may be something shiny/reflective that the camera is confusing for the TIR-clip.

Howdy ouPhrontis: No, The room my rig is in is set to more of a theater type lighting with two WiFi LED soft lights (TP-Link LB100 smart-bulbs) behind my monitors set to 20%.

But a good thought of yours. I actually checked to see if perhaps my 2nd monitor (right side and angled slightly) may be inhibiting the camera on the main but I don't see anything that might indicate it is.