OT: Australian Defence Force Flight Screening

There has been much talk on these forums of late about the ADF such that this post won't seem too far out of place:smilewink:

I had applied for a RAAF pilot position for a year know and about 6 weeks ago I got my chance at a process called flight screening.

At flight screening, potential applicants are put through their paces at flying and officer skills, essentially a 2 week long flying interview. I went 2 weeks ago and have just come back today.

First of all the flying was very fun and I had a ball with our group of 7 other mates.:thumbup:

Applicants get a score out of 9 for their flying and a score out of 5 for their officer qualities.

I did fairly well at the process and hope to get in soon.

P.S. This isn't an attempt to blow my own horn,:( rather informing a bunch of military aviation enthusuasts about my own journey.:)

ive applied for the luftwaffe. Ive passed all the test and am waiting for the final call by them. Will get the answer in june at the latest.

Have fun,

Flip

madrebel.png

sig.jpg

"Imagine the reason that people hold on to

hatred so stubbornly is because if the hate

is removed, the pain will set in. Do not follow where

the path may lead. Go instead where there is

no path and leave a trail."

Oh, thats cool. What planes could you potentionally be flying in the luftwaffe? do they still have their MiG-29s?

DCS Wishlist: 1) FIX THE DAMN RIVERS!!! 2) Spherical or cylindrical panorama view projection. 3) Enhanced input options (action upon button release, etc). 4) Aircraft flight parameter dump upon exit (stick posn, attitude, rates, accel, control volume, control-surface positions, SAS bias, etc). 5) ADS-33 maneuver courses as static objects. 6) Exposed API or exports of trim position and stick force for custom controllers. 7) Select auto multiple audio devices

Oh, thats cool. What planes could you potentionally be flying in the luftwaffe? do they still have their MiG-29s?

Potential aircraft would be the Eurofighter Typhoon and the PA 200 Tornado. The F-4F will be out of service by 2010 and the Migs had been sold to Poland a couple of years ago.

Flip

madrebel.png

sig.jpg

Ya, I heard something about the MiGs going to poland somewhere. probobly over at the ubi fourms.

DCS Wishlist: 1) FIX THE DAMN RIVERS!!! 2) Spherical or cylindrical panorama view projection. 3) Enhanced input options (action upon button release, etc). 4) Aircraft flight parameter dump upon exit (stick posn, attitude, rates, accel, control volume, control-surface positions, SAS bias, etc). 5) ADS-33 maneuver courses as static objects. 6) Exposed API or exports of trim position and stick force for custom controllers. 7) Select auto multiple audio devices

Ya, I heard something about the MiGs going to poland somewhere. probobly over at the ubi fourms.

k, well..they were sold for like a buck lol

Flip

madrebel.png

sig.jpg

lol. ya, it's not like there flankers or anything. IMO, the MiG-29A isn't a really great fighter.

lol. ya, it's not like there flankers or anything. IMO, the MiG-29A isn't a really great fighter.

It actually is...concerning maneuverability. The US and allied forces flew against our migs numerous times before going to iraq. We sent the Migs to Red Flag as well. Good stuff. The Mileage is the biggest problem though :D

The sucker needs alot of gas :beer:

Flip

madrebel.png

sig.jpg

Ya, I can imagine. It still cant out turn the Flanker though, can it? But i do tink it can out turn the F-15. (am I right?)

Ya, I can imagine. It still cant out turn the Flanker though, can it? But i do tink it can out turn the F-15. (am I right?)

as paradox as it might sound, lets say the mig 29 is an f-16 and the su-27 is an f/a-18. The F-16 is gonna beat the F-18 in fast, horizontal fights. The F-18 guy will always try to get the F-16 into its game, which is the low speed area. The Su-27 is remarkably maneuverable at slow speeds, the mig isnt (imho). So...Keep the Mig fast...But..come to think of it...the SU is good at higher speeds too..dont you think?! So..i guess the SU is just more maneuverable than the mig at lower speeds.

Flip

madrebel.png

sig.jpg

as paradox as it might sound, lets say the mig 29 is an f-16 and the su-27 is an f/a-18. The F-16 is gonna beat the F-18 in fast, horizontal fights. The F-18 guy will always try to get the F-16 into its game, which is the low speed area. The Su-27 is remarkably maneuverable at slow speeds, the mig isnt (imho). So...Keep the Mig fast...But..come to think of it...the SU is good at higher speeds too..dont you think?! So..i guess the SU is just more maneuverable than the mig at lower speeds.

Flip

I'v always founs the Su a bit more menoverable. I think it's also a bit aesier to fly. (IMO) but i have noticed that the MiG performs better at highter speeds where as... well, the Su-27 can out turn prety much any fighter at any speed, so long as there bothe traveling the same speed. (this excepts the merige. that thing can out turn any jet.)