inconsistencies and bugs between mission editor, ABRIS and PVI-800

aledmb

while studying the ABRIS and PVI-800 systems, i've come across a few inconsistencies and bugs.

in the mission editor, when you are defining waypoints, you can choose the waypoint type.

the initial waypoint can be:

01.jpg.c445da1eb317e212dac3db848b74f13e.jpg

mid route waypoints can be:

02.jpg.745456877063793ef6bad8b1697f4608.jpg

and for destination waypoints:

03.jpg.43464c64ec866b9261df6c68c575b42c.jpg

i've noticed that the ABRIS does not load the waypoint name defined in the mission editor when the waypoint type is any of the following:

- take off from runway

- take off from parking hot

- landing

as an example, check the flight plan loaded into the ABRIS when the last waypoint is set to the "landing" type:

04.thumb.jpg.077877bb8a5c575a402731f7816f5a2e.jpg

i think this can be a bug, because there's not much logic here.

also, i noticed that waypoint numbers do not match between both navigation systems... waypoint #1 in ABRIS is actually #2 in PVI-800, and so on... this can be confusing when you want to set both systems to a common destination... i mean, life would be a lot easier if both systems matched these indexes.

one more thing that i think is a bug... when the waypoint type is "landing", it cannot be selected in the PVI-800 system... you have to rely on the ABRIS to be able to land.

The difference between waypoint numbers in ABRIS and PVI-800 is not a bug, it's always been like that. But it's the opposite of what you said. The starting point in ABRIS is always waypoint 1, so the first "real" waypoint (waypoint 1 in PVI-800) is numbered waypoint 2 in ABRIS.

Regarding landing waypoints, I think it's more useful for AI which has to know where it has to land. As a human pilot, your final waypoint is like any other one (a couple of coordinates).

The difference between waypoint numbers in ABRIS and PVI-800 is not a bug, it's always been like that. But it's the opposite of what you said. The starting point in ABRIS is always waypoint 1, so the first "real" waypoint (waypoint 1 in PVI-800) is numbered waypoint 2 in ABRIS.

yeah, i was just pointing that there's this difference, if someone wants to check it, but i'm not saying it's a bug... if the real systems in the ka-50 are like that, keep it.

Regarding landing waypoints, I think it's more useful for AI which has to know where it has to land. As a human pilot, your final waypoint is like any other one (a couple of coordinates).

i don't get your thinking here... if you mean that mission designers should not define waypoints of the "landing" type, that option should be taken out of the mission editor, because currently, that waypoint goes into a black hole... it's a bug that needs fixing (same as the names not showing for a few waypoint types).

I don't get your thinking either What do you expect to get on the ABRIS for the final waypoint ? I guess that's not the kind of data that's displayed between the other points, which of course are the flight data to reach the next point (so it doesn't apply to the last one).

I can't make it clearer. AFAIK landing points are made for AI airframes to tell them "land at this point". In which way should a landing point be different from another point in the ABRIS for you ? I agree it should load like any other point but if it doesn't, use another kind of point. Not a big deal, for me there are many more important bugs to solve.

Edited by Frank Murphy

I don't get your thinking either What do you expect to get on the ABRIS for the final waypoint ? I guess that's not the kind of data that's displayed between the other points, which of course are the flight data to reach the next point.

the ABRIS shows the last waypoint, no matter what type it is.

the problem is with the PVI-800 system... if you have your last waypoint set as "landing" by the mission designer, it's not available in that system.

i've noticed that the ABRIS does not load the waypoint name defined in the mission editor when the waypoint type is any of the following:

- take off from runway

- take off from parking hot

- landing

the ABRIS shows the last waypoint, no matter what type it is.

No contradiction here ? Or you are only talking about the name of the waypoint ?

Edited by Frank Murphy

No contradiction here ?

no, those are two separate issues. :)

one issue is that the ABRIS does not show the waypoint name for certain waypoint types... for example, if you set a landing waypoint in the mission editor and you give it a name, it will not show in the ABRIS like it does for other types.

the other issue is that a landing waypoint will just not be available in the PVI-800 system.

Ok I see. But once more I don't understand why a mission editor would use landing points for human pilots... Did you check in the ME manual what they are aimed to ?

well, sure, you can use all waypoints as "fly over point" and the human will understand that he is supposed to land in the last waypoint in his route.

i just think one could opt to properly describe every waypoint with as much information as possible... if you want the human to follow the rules for a "fly over" and not a "turning point", why wouldn't you make it explicit?

anyway, not having a waypoint show up in the PVI-800 system just because it's of a specific type is a bug.

that's why i reported it. ;)

Frank is right. Overall, all information can, and should, be given to the player in the briefing and possibly in the naming of the ABRIS WP as i real life. Remember the ME with its functionality is for directing all movable units, player(s) and AI, not only the Ka-50. The 'type' is definitely something for the AI and initial configuration of the player aircraft. Neither of the ABRIS or the PVI-800 really has any 'type' designations anyhow, except for naming in the ABRIS. The PVI-800 can only cary 6 WP:s so its a good thing the initial WP in the ABRIS isn't included, and your starting airdrome (or the closest one if on a FARP IIRC) is always incuded in the PVI-800 as the first airdrome navpoint. I'm not sure, but I also believe the landing airdrome, if different than the start one, is available as the second airdrome navpoint (of two available in the PVI-8000).

Landing WP:s (for the player) can simply be made by an ordinary WP with a given altitude/height at ground elevation to get the vertical navigation right.

Simply no bugs as I can see.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

I'm not sure, but I also believe the landing airdrome, if different than the start one, is available as the second airdrome navpoint (of two available in the PVI-8000).

i can send you a mission where the airfield designated for landing in my route is not available in the PVI-800.

i don't see why you wouldn't want this to be fixed.

i can send you a mission where the airfield designated for landing in my route is not available in the PVI-800.

i don't see why you wouldn't want this to be fixed.

And you are talking about the airdrome navpoint, reached by hitting the third button to the left, counting from top left? (They are never together with the other six WP:s, top left button).

First one is always your closest starting airdrome. You can indeed get the second populated with airdrome data, have played many missions with it, but I don't know exactly how it's done, automatically or by other means. There is a way to prepare the aircraft as you like while making a mission by going into the cockpit, prepare it and return to ME with those preparations saved to the mosdion file. I don't know how it's done but surely it's described in the manual.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

And you are talking about the airdrome navpoint, reached by hitting the third button to the left, counting from top left? (They are never together with the other six WP:s, top left button).

First one is always your closest starting airdrome. You can indeed get the second populated with airdrome data, have played many missions with it, but I don't know exactly how it's done, automatically or by other means. There is a way to prepare the aircraft as you like while making a mission by going into the cockpit, prepare it and return to ME with those preparations saved to the mosdion file. I don't know how it's done but surely it's described in the manual.

yeah, i get it... thanks for the input! :thumbup:

yeah, i get it... thanks for the input!
Happy to help.

Mind you, the two airdrome navpoints in the PVI-800 isn't included in the autopilot route following sequence, you have to select them manually after reaching the last WP for the AP to fly there.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5