checking 6 in vr and other stuff

voodooman

sooo.. can you check 6 in vr nowdays in dcs? like to able to see directly behind you?

also is rift still better than vive in dcs? and if yes, by how much? performance wise, is asw still an clear advantage?

thanks in advance for all your replies.

V

sooo.. can you check 6 in vr nowdays in dcs? like to able to see directly behind you?

also is rift still better than vive in dcs? and if yes, by how much? performance wise, is asw still an clear advantage?

thanks in advance for all your replies.

V

You could always look behind you with VR in DCS. What you are able to see is entirely dependent on the cockpit of the aircraft. For instance the A-10C has better visibility than the Mig-21.

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

Can only answer for Rift and helicopters here, yes you can hang out the side and look behind. With the door less Gazelle it feels quite natural in that your not actually sticking your head virtually though the door, great for reverse parking. :D

With VR you wont get the level of detail that you might otherwise get from a monitor, some users feel this is a problem others including myself do not.

Whilst ASW helps it's better if you can avoid it however VR requires a fairly grunty PC and GPU I have.

i7 5930 @ 4.7Ghz

1080Ti @ 1.97Ghz

And run at 45FPS smoothly in 2.51.

YMMV

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Can only answer for Rift and helicopters here, yes you can hang out the side and look behind. With the door less Gazelle it feels quite natural in that your not actually sticking your head virtually though the door, great for reverse parking. :D

Just don't do that when sitting next to a wall with the Rift Guardian System Off.:D

Not happened to me so far, I have smashed my hands/controllers a few times on the desk and wall playing with the controllers tho.:)

-

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Due to the limited FOV I can't sit straight and look back 180 degrees. I'd have to turn my chair a little to get to 180 degrees. Definitely a disadvantage in aerial combat or when searching the horizon, but the advantages of VR clearly outweigh the disadvantages.

PC: Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming | AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Palit GeForce RTX 4090 Game Rock OC | 64 GB Patriot VIPER VENOM DDR5-6000

Input: Brunner CLS-E FFB Base | Thrustmaster Warthog Joystick & Throttle | Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder | WinWing Phoenix MIP (VR) - F16 ICP - PTO2 | VPC SharKA-50 Collective 

VR: HP Reverb G2

Motion-Platform: Motionsystems PS-6TM-150 | Monstertech MTX

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@madmontys6dofmotionplatfor386/featured

Due to the limited FOV I can't sit straight and look back 180 degrees. I'd have to turn my chair a little to get to 180 degrees. Definitely a disadvantage in aerial combat or when searching the horizon, but the advantages of VR clearly outweigh the disadvantages.

Improved simulation of reality does bring some of the problems of actual reality. You can't spin your head like Linda Blair via TrackIR.

You can't sit back in a real aircraft and see behind you. You have to lean your body and twist so that you can look behind you.

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

Improved simulation of reality does bring some of the problems of actual reality. You can't spin your head like Linda Blair via TrackIR.

LOL, it always amazes me when I see some VR users , usually new, ask how to set up snap views in VR... or to increase the amount of travel to head movement ratio.

I am like

:doh:

We finally have the technology, to practically put us in the airplane itself with everything being full size and all around us, with true 1:1 tracking as we move our heads to look around. And you want what?

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

You're right, but please note that the human FOV is over 180 degrees, the rift 110 degrees. When I turn my head to the right, I am at least 35 degrees (70 degrees / 2) away from the actual reality.

In this respect the Rift has a disadvantage compared to the actual reality!

PC: Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming | AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Palit GeForce RTX 4090 Game Rock OC | 64 GB Patriot VIPER VENOM DDR5-6000

Input: Brunner CLS-E FFB Base | Thrustmaster Warthog Joystick & Throttle | Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder | WinWing Phoenix MIP (VR) - F16 ICP - PTO2 | VPC SharKA-50 Collective 

Originally Posted by MadMonty viewpost.gif

This and this. You aren't able to see behind your aircraft nearly as fast or as easily as TrackIR pilots can, so if you do PvP online you'll be at an absolute disadvantage. One of the problems is PC VR units don't simulate peripheral vision, at all. In a real jet, you don't need to look completely dead 6 to "see" dead 6, as you're peripheral vision will let you see right behind your aircraft when your head is about about 4 or 8 oclock typically. No can do in VR though, you need to be looking very close to "6 oclock" to actually "see" 6 oclock right now. Boo hiss. One of the major down sides of VR IMO (there are others).

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

Yep but it is still way closer to reality than snap views and Track IR.

The FOV will get there with future devices, even FB/Oculus recently stated the technology is moving faster than what they originally thought it would.

The future for VR is bright.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Thanks everybody for the aswers!

ordered the ritf today, cant wait to fly in vr!

good to know checking six is possible. i had the impression that you were limited to some 140ish (per side) or something view angle.

and i dont mind sittin up to move my body to look back, it just means i will get in better shape doin situps while fully immersed in dcs!:D

Thanks everybody for the aswers!

ordered the ritf today, cant wait to fly in vr!

good to know checking six is possible. i had the impression that you were limited to some 140ish (per side) or something view angle.

and i dont mind sittin up to move my body to look back, it just means i will get in better shape doin situps while fully immersed in dcs!:D

Congrats you are in for a treat!

Looking forward to your first impressions.

Don B

You're right, but please note that the human FOV is over 180 degrees, the rift 110 degrees. When I turn my head to the right, I am at least 35 degrees (70 degrees / 2) away from the actual reality.

In this respect the Rift has a disadvantage compared to the actual reality!

That's true, but the Rift does cover the majority of the part of your view that you can focus both eyes onto. You can't actually slew your eyeballs so far that you can focus them into the peripheral area and see fine detail. You can detect movement and see that there is "something" there, but not much else.

That's true, but the Rift does cover the majority of the part of your view that you can focus both eyes onto. You can't actually slew your eyeballs so far that you can focus them into the peripheral area and see fine detail. You can detect movement and see that there is "something" there, but not much else.

Yup. Your peripheral vision is very efficient at detecting movement, but when you detect that movement, you turn your head to look straight at it. I don't think we're losing that much with the field of view limits in the rift. When you have a helmet on your head, that's going to limit your field of view a little bit too. The big thing for me with VR is that the head and body movements are more natural, and I'm finding it easier to know which way to turn and how much to turn to get onto a target or avoid a missile. Sure, you can do that with practice with the TrackIR, but that's just it, it takes practice and isn't instinctual like it is in VR.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Yup. Your peripheral vision is very efficient at detecting movement, but when you detect that movement, you turn your head to look straight at it. I don't think we're losing that much with the field of view limits in the rift. When you have a helmet on your head, that's going to limit your field of view a little bit too. The big thing for me with VR is that the head and body movements are more natural, and I'm finding it easier to know which way to turn and how much to turn to get onto a target or avoid a missile. Sure, you can do that with practice with the TrackIR, but that's just it, it takes practice and isn't instinctual like it is in VR.

I don't think the helmet blocks much if anything. It's been a while since I wore an HGU-55 (At Air Combat USA) but I don't remember it being intrusive. The helmet is designed for flying a fighter plane after all.

With VR you wont get the level of detail that you might otherwise get from a monitor, some users feel this is a problem others including myself do not.

Whilst ASW helps it's better if you can avoid it however VR requires a fairly grunty PC and GPU I have.

i7 5930 @ 4.7Ghz

1080Ti @ 1.97Ghz

And run at 45FPS smoothly in 2.51.

YMMV

VR required engine coding optimization which we don't have

I don't think the helmet blocks much if anything. It's been a while since I wore an HGU-55 (At Air Combat USA) but I don't remember it being intrusive. The helmet is designed for flying a fighter plane after all.

It does a little bit. If the sides were trimmed back much further it would start defeating its primary purpose of protecting your head. Not saying its nearly as limiting as the Rift though, just that its not like having nothing at all on your head. :smilewink:

Edited by eaglecash867

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

in world war two birds its good technique to never fly in a straight line for more than 30 seconds.

so the rift does improve this by making you have to turn the aircraft. to check six.

and there is an advantage in this.

dropping a wing and turning also opens up the view beneath you.

a view the trackIR pilot completely misses because of bad technique.

don't break your neck, turn the aircraft and check six. and check the deck too.

its all part of the greater awareness granted by VR :)

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

Well guys, here are my frst impressions after flyin dcs in VR.

After few hick ups, like asrock z77 usb 3.0 not being supported, and having to have both, monitor and rift connected to same gpu (was using motherboard intel hd 4000 at first for monitor, and had to buy a dp->hdmi cable to have them both on my 1070) i finally got it running DCS.

and wow! the sense of sitting inside the plane and seeing how big the plane (P-51) actually is, and when flying close to another plane, THAT is something you can not ever have with a monitor.

and flying the thing, like when flipping it upsidedown and starting to pull that split S, oh man, incredible!!!

Now looking behind you... yeah not as with track ir for sure, my neck is sore for trying to pull full 180 with my head, lol. and now im constantly trying to get support of the canopy frame to rotate my body to check 6 hehe.

also i need a stick between my legs now. having it on the right just dont feel right anymore.

but yeah, happy days as a new rift owner for sure:smilewink: thanks guys for all your comments that made me make up my mind to get it.

secondly im really surprised how well my 6 year old computer (i5 3570K @ 4.2 / 1600MHz DDR3) with later gpu tough (1070) can run the DCS in the rift.

i found good settings that please my eye enough and stay 45fps stable and i cannot be more pleased about spending the money.

on that topic. do you think there is any point to get a new cpu and ram for mainly playing DCS and rFactor 2 only? i have had my eye on 8600K and 3200MHz DDR4, but im not sure if that benefits me that much that spending roughly 700€ is justifiable. i mean i cant get to 90 fps with the 1070 anyways right? i'd like to hear your toughts on that if you dont mind?

Welcome to the RIFT-club!

Glad you enjoy it as much as the rest of the community.

Yeah, the first thing I bought after the Rift has been a wheel stand pro deluxe v2 to get the stick between my legs.

Regarding your CPU I am running fine with a 7700k @5,0 Ghz (water-cooled), but I have also great support from a 1080 Ti.

• 4 weeks later...
so there is no way to bring the "check six view" in funktion with VR ?

when not can someone tell the devs plz that we need that !!!

Yeah let's "simulate" how the real pilots do it, an automatic check six view...

:megalol:

Don B