checking 6 in vr and other stuff

voodooman

Yeah let's "simulate" how the real pilots do it, an automatic check six view...

:megalol:

like you i dont mess me with "real pilots"

i mess me with other online pilots which have track ir and have absolut no problem with checking 6

so plz bring ya troll to home :joystick:

But there is a fundamental difference betweent TrackIR and VR. Granted the reduced FOV makes it a bit more difficult. But you just learn to grab a hold of something and shift your body and head. Sort of like what real aviators do when you see the cockpit recordings.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

But there is a fundamental difference betweent TrackIR and VR. Granted the reduced FOV makes it a bit more difficult. But you just learn to grab a hold of something and shift your body and head. Sort of like what real aviators do when you see the cockpit recordings.

and what is the "fundamental" difference"

also in "real live" the cockpitmirrors are more usefull i think

in vr i can " with luck " spot a misslelaunch

Edited by ariyaner

like you i dont mess me with "real pilots"

i mess me with other online pilots which have track ir and have absolut no problem with checking 6

so plz bring ya troll to home :joystick:

Hardly trolling. Simulating.

New concept I guess.

:doh:

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

People using trackir still needs to see the monitor, turning your head using vr makes the "monitor" follow you.

In "real life" you have better resolution than in vr. For now we all have to make do with the resolution provided with the monitor/vr kit we have and that our computers can manage with ok fps.

Bet that with new generation vr set there will be much better resolution and ED can make the game look better and people will have an easier time spotting others in game.

Well guys, here are my frst impressions after flyin dcs in VR.

After few hick ups, like asrock z77 usb 3.0 not being supported, and having to have both, monitor and rift connected to same gpu (was using motherboard intel hd 4000 at first for monitor, and had to buy a dp->hdmi cable to have them both on my 1070) i finally got it running DCS.

Sorry for bumping this old post, but I´m wondering if there is andvantages of connecting my monitor into my Gigabyte motherboard DVI, insteaf of coupling both Rift and monitor to my GPU as I have it now.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

Wow, are you using a Pimax 4K? That may explain it. The 1 to 1 tracking is such a departure from TrackIR. There's really no need to explain the difference.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Wow, are you using a Pimax 4K? That may explain it. The 1 to 1 tracking is such a departure from TrackIR. There's really no need to explain the difference.

Yup, its that 1 to 1 tracking that makes it more natural to not only spot a missile launch, but to instantly know how to maneuver to have the best chance of defeating the missile.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Yup, its that 1 to 1 tracking that makes it more natural to not only spot a missile launch, but to instantly know how to maneuver to have the best chance of defeating the missile.

Yeah, I never got the "if you see it, you can defeat it" until I tried to dodge a SAM launch in VR. Really cool.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Yeah, I never got the "if you see it, you can defeat it" until I tried to dodge a SAM launch in VR. Really cool.

I knew that it worked, and I knew why, but hadn't been able to actually do it in a sim until VR came along. MUCH easier to keep it at right angles to you and force it to overshoot or run out of energy.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

no

i use the good old dk2 :)

but i tryd the pimax 4 some days and i need 6dof ...

Edited by ariyaner

I've had VR since DK1, DK2, and CV1. I've also had Vive and Odyssey along the way. But not Pimax, although I am a KS supporter of the "8K" unit. But even in DK2, the true 1-to-1 view was startling compared to using TrackIR and three monitors. I'm surprised you don't find the VR tracking more compelling than TrackIR. I'm talking about tracking, not the resolution.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Then fundamental difference is that VR doesn't take into account the eyes peripheral vision. While a real pilot only need turn his head to say 4 oclock in order to see dead 6 oclock and thus right behind his fighter thanks to peripheral vision, in VR, you actually have to look almost dead 6 to SEE dead 6. This means you pretty much have to turn your chair (if it even swivels) an awful lot in order to get your head pointed to 6 oclock due to the nature of body mechanics.

TrackIR of course has scaling/etc which allows you to see directly behind your aircraft with very little head movement at all - again, the opposite of VR right now, until we get good eye tracking in VR devices.

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

TrackIR, although very good, is unrealistic in that you are always moving your eyes in the wrong direction.

eg. turn your head to the RIGHT to get a 6 oclock view in the monitor, but then you have to move your eyes back LEFT to see the monitor.

You easily get used to that, but I find VR feels vastly more realistic in knowing exactly what direction you are looking as in this case you turn both your head and eyes to the RIGHT as in real life.

Also, with the normal range of neck rotation plus peripheral vision, some body rotation is still required to see directly behind. TrackIR is great for simulating an owl or Linda Blair's spinning head. :D

It's realistically impemented having to crank one's neck to "check six" - so I am really quite ok with that in VR.

+1 to BigDuke6ixx

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Yup, I like having to lean, twist, and sometimes grab onto something to see where I need to see. You have to do all that in the real thing. The thing that I see that needs a little work is that its possible to put your head right through the canopy, but other than that VR is the most natural.

Edited by eaglecash867