Windows Mixed Reality Discussion

NineLine

Yes, it's in Cliff House, the WMR 'home'.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

• 1 month later...

Not sure if this has been mentioned before:

To remove the three virtual monitors created when WMR starts:

You can disable the "Virtual Display Adapter" in Device Manager. The three virtual displays will not reappear. You may have to turn on "Show Hidden Devices" under View menu at the top to see it.

A dozen reboots and one minor windows update and the fix is still working.

That takes care of that annoyance...

what is the benefit of disabling, what if any problems does it introduce?

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

If you have not had any issues with the virtual monitors then this fix is not needed for you ;)

Edit, that sounded snide, was not meant that way.

Issues: Sometimes icons/windows etc will be moved to one of those monitors and are not accessible on the real monitors. If you are using Point CNT FCUs then it messes up your attempts to calibrate and you have to manually get rid of each virtual monitor one at a time. This way you do not have to do that. So far as I know there is no downside to removing the virtual monitor driver unless you use WMR in an Enterprise Environment (no, not the game Bridge Crew, lol).

Edited by Miles Vorkosigan

If you have not had any issues with the virtual monitors then this fix is not needed for you ;)

Edit, that sounded snide, was not meant that way.

Issues: Sometimes icons/windows etc will be moved to one of those monitors and are not accessible on the real monitors. If you are using Point CNT FCUs then it messes up your attempts to calibrate and you have to manually get rid of each virtual monitor one at a time. This way you do not have to do that. So far as I know there is no downside to removing the virtual monitor driver unless you use WMR in an Enterprise Environment (no, not the game Bridge Crew, lol).

Interesting, and thanks for the explanation! Also cool handle (i love the books)

2nd question wheer do you find it, i dont find it listed under display adapters, mixed reality devices, i do have 3 generic pnp monitors and my HMD under Monitors

edit ahh you have to show hidden devices

Edited by speed-of-heat

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

ok so there is a disadvantage, its a minor one , if you disable the virtual monitors your cannot bring up a "windows 2d" app as a separate window in VR, you can still get at it in the desktop

The 'fix' didn't work for me anyway, as the devices still appeared in DM. Never had an issue though, so no big deal.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There was a WMR for SteamVR beta update today

Not sure if this is a new change but in the default.vrsettings file the default is now for motion reprojection to be off ("none") and the only exception for SteamVr settings to overrider appears to be half life alyx.

So you may need to edit this file to enable reprojection in other apps. I simply changed it to default to auto.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

Been that way for months now. It should be kept at none and all settings are now in a WMR tab on SteamVR.

Been that way for months now. It should be kept at none and all settings are now in a WMR tab on SteamVR.
I guess I remembered wrong but I thought it had to be commented out to work with SteamVR settings

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

No, just leave it at default. We shouldn’t have to go near that file any more.

No, just leave it at default. We shouldn’t have to go near that file any more.
Unfortunately I think we still do. Each update overwrites the file and disables motion reprojection. We either have to turn it on the default.vrsettings file or comment it out (or remove it). I just tested it and this is the case.

You are right in that it was changed a few months ago when the steamVR per application settings were enabled. This is from the release notes:

Alternatively, if you're using Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR in conjunction with the latest SteamVR release, you can now use SteamVR to manage motion reprojection settings on a per-application basis. To enable this functionality:

1. Ensure you're running a supported version of SteamVR (1.10.28 or greater).
  2. Remove the "motionReprojectionMode" line from default.vrsettings.
  3. In the SteamVR settings, select Video > Per Application Video Settings.
  4. Select the title you're interested in, and change the motion smoothing option.

Unfortunately I think we still do. Each update overwrites the file and disables motion reprojection. We either have to turn it on the default.vrsettings file or comment it out (or remove it). I just tested it and this is the case.

You are right in that it was changed a few months ago when the steamVR per application settings were enabled. This is from the release notes:

Alternatively, if you're using Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR in conjunction with the latest SteamVR release, you can now use SteamVR to manage motion reprojection settings on a per-application basis. To enable this functionality:

1. Ensure you're running a supported version of SteamVR (1.10.28 or greater).
  2. Remove the "motionReprojectionMode" line from default.vrsettings.
  3. In the SteamVR settings, select Video > Per Application Video Settings.
  4. Select the title you're interested in, and change the motion smoothing option.

Sorry, but that is incorrect.

It is supposed to be disabled. Yes, what you say will work, but it's unnecessary. No need to touch that file any more. All done from the SteamVR tab.

In addition, it doesn't have to be on the Per Application Settings, the global setting works in DCS as well.

Edited by imacken

Sorry, but that is incorrect.

It is supposed to be disabled. Yes, what you say will work, but it's unnecessary. No need to touch that file any more. All done from the SteamVR tab.

In addition, it doesn't have to be on the Per Application Settings, the global setting works in DCS as well.

Intriguing as I can only see motion smoothing in the per application settings.

If my default.vrsettings disables re-projection then no matter what I set per application settings for DCS in SteamVR settings there is no re-projection.

If I comment out the line I can set in SteamVR settings. Or I can set it to Auto in default.vrsettings.

Either way I have to edit the file to enable it. Unless of course I am missing something which is more than possible :)

I think you are missing the WMR tab in the bottom of the SteamVR dashboard when in game. Press down on the controller stick to bring it up. Then you will see a WMR settings tab along the bottom.

I think you may be just looking at the desktop SteamVR settings.

I think you are missing the WMR tab in the bottom of the SteamVR dashboard when in game. Press down on the controller stick to bring it up. Then you will see a WMR settings tab along the bottom.

I think you may be just looking at the desktop SteamVR settings.

You are right, I never use the SteamVR dashboard and have no controllers connected most of the time!

Just to add if I have it disabled in default.vrsetting and add dcs.exe to the exceptions in it then I can set it in SteamVR desktop settings under per application. I think this is new, I certainly don't recall seeing this.

// If motionReprojectionMode is disabled, these applications will still respect SteamVR settings

"MotionReprojectionDisabledExceptions" : {

"hlvr.exe" : true

"dcs.exe" : true

},

You only have to connect the controllers once, and choose your settings.

The reason for having the WMR tab is so that people don't have to mess with that settings file which isn't exactly user friendly with it's location etc.

The new tab in SteamVR dashboard has lots of useful aspects.

You only have to connect the controllers once, and choose your settings.

The reason for having the WMR tab is so that people don't have to mess with that settings file which isn't exactly user friendly with it's location etc.

The new tab in SteamVR dashboard has lots of useful aspects.

I found I hadn't even paired my controllers with my replacement Reverb.

Anyway, I tried what you said. Put the default.vrsettings back to default (reprojection disabled) and used the SteamVR dashboard to change it to auto and...

...it worked!

So no need to edit the file at all, so don't go listening to people who say you do :)

Thanks imacken, for explaining this and your patience!

No problem at all. It’s very confusing!

Yes it is.

But slowly it is getting simpler and more reliable.

I guess that is life on the cutting edge.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

I am so old school I found it easier to find and edit a text file than work out how these new fangled controllers work :)

• 1 month later...

Hi. Can anyone help me? I have a reverb and sometimes I can’t move the head side to side or back to front, the reverb loose those axis, any thought?

Thank you.

Dream Commodore 64C, 1530 datasette, 1541 floppy disk drive, DCS cartridge, competition pro joystick, 14” Tv with VCR.

Arturo "Chaco" Gonzalez Thomas

There are four potential reasons:

- poor lighting, add more light

- flat environment, add contrasting colour

- changed lighting or environment, reset the boundary in wmr

- not correctly 'zeroing' the headset, put it on and do the moves before you launch the game

It could be hardware failure, but, thays very unlikely

There are four potential reasons:

- poor lighting, add more light

- flat environment, add contrasting colour

- changed lighting or environment, reset the boundary in wmr

- not correctly 'zeroing' the headset, put it on and do the moves before you launch the game

It could be hardware failure, but, thays very unlikely

Thank you.

Dream Commodore 64C, 1530 datasette, 1541 floppy disk drive, DCS cartridge, competition pro joystick, 14” Tv with VCR.

Arturo "Chaco" Gonzalez Thomas