Windows Mixed Reality Discussion

NineLine

I am using Reverb G1 pro, WMR, native (non steam) DCS stable version.

There is any possibility to set the reprojection frame rate? While the steamVR changed, I cannot set the reprojection to fix 45FPS. In the past, it was easy with config file edit, now that is not working. My FPS is changing continously, in the past with fix 45FPS everything was smooth.

Make sure HAGS is disabled in windows, 

ensure that 

WMR for Steam VR Settings

I use the beta version of Steam VR and Windows Mixed Reality Portal for VR

The changes I make for WMR for Steam VR Settings, I let SteamVR manage its Motion Reprojection for DCS and other VR games:

WMR4SVR Settings.png

x:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MixedRealityVRDriver\bin\win64\OpenVRSettingsUX.exe

and then make sure that motion vector is forced in steamvr for dcs.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

49 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

x:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MixedRealityVRDriver\bin\win64\OpenVRSettingsUX.exe

I do not know, what is the HAGS. But anyway the problem was I try to found this screen on the app. I do not understand why we need to start your given separated exe to set this function. It is still crazy, even I set the force motion reprojection in the steamVR app setting. My setting on "your" sceen was "disabled" , I have no idea, why. Thanks for the help, it save my flight 🙂 I just put that exe's shortcut to desktop. Now, I had a nice fix 45FPS and no shuttering.

Edited by bunnyhu

You can get at the same menu from inside steamvr… I just find it easier to explain to say run this EXe than press such and such a button pointing at this icon …

glad it’s working for you

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I have been using Windows 11 with DCS since its release the first week of October.   I was hoping that it might resolve the "twitching" I have been experiencing with HP Reverb2 display since 2.7.7-- regardless of DCS settings.  For me, Windows 11 has added no new issues and seems to be more stable than Windows 10.  For example, I am now able to use the latest NVidia drivers without added problems-- an issue for me before Windows 11.  I still do not use the Game Mode option or any type of power management with my USB controllers.  I have not run across anyone describing the issues that you are experiencing-- yet.  I will let you know if I do.  Good luck and happy hunting.

Intel i9 10900K (OC to 5.3), 32 GB Fury 3200 MHz, GeFORCE RTX 2080 Ti (OC), NVMe KIOIXA 1.8 TB, Toshiba 1.8 TB (7200), Killer E3000 2.5 GB Ethernet, Realtek 7.1 Sound w/ Logitech 560, Alienware keyboard/mouse, HP Reverb 2, and Thrustmaster Warthog (FA-18C).  Use DCS 2.8 with no mods.

• 2 weeks later...

I use G2/openfsr and I believe the sharpness is applied to the whole rendered image.  Are you describing the MSAA mask in the dcs vr settings tab?  I think that only apply MSAA within the circle, not sure if it works or not though.

Personally right now I have 0.62 render and 1 sharpness.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

28 minutes ago, chlywly said:

Anyone use OpenFSR with a Reverb G2 and know the right info to add so that the sharpness/FSR circle is full size of lenses?

If your referring to this section:  0.75 is about 4/5 for me. 

// Sensible values probably lie somewhere between [0.2, 1.0]. However, note
    // that, since the image is not spheric, even a value of 1.0 technically still
    // skips some pixels in the corner of the image, so if you want to completely
    // disable this optimization, you can choose a value of 2.
    // IMPORTANT: if you face issues like the view appearing offset or mismatched
    // between the eyes, turn this optimization off by setting the value to 2.0
    "radius": 2.0,

You can "see" the circle by setting the debug mode to true

// If enabled, will visualize the radius to which FSR/NIS is applied.
    // Will also periodically log the GPU cost for applying FSR/NIS in the
    // current configuration.
    "debugMode": false

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

Thanks. What render res in steamvr? I can't notice any difference by changing steamvr render scale settings what so ever.
In game it's at 1.0 and in WMR its also high quality.

Games runs like absolute ass in most areas that have any planes which is odd, it was running WAY better before; not sure what happened.

7 minutes ago, chlywly said:

Thanks. What render res in steamvr? I can't notice any difference by changing steamvr render scale settings what so ever.
In game it's at 1.0 and in WMR its also high quality.

Games runs like absolute ass in most areas that have any planes which is odd, it was running WAY better before; not sure what happened.

I use global 100% and per app (DCS) set at 80%

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

--Arthur C Clark

4 minutes ago, chlywly said:

SO FSR will then downscale further from DCS's 80%? 

Also, my Steam VR has the tick at 150% in All Apps. Do you put that down to 100?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ran4cfrn26ss519/SteamVR.png

Yes, that is the Global setting. From there open then Video menu, per application and select DCS from the pull down menu. Try setting it to 60/70/80 etc. Each change will require restarting DCS to take effect.

--Arthur C Clark

23 minutes ago, Sr. said:

Yes, that is the Global setting. From there open then Video menu, per application and select DCS from the pull down menu. Try setting it to 60/70/80 etc. Each change will require restarting DCS to take effect.

Ah gotcha, but there would be no diff between setting it in there vs in DCS. So ill just set it in DCS to make it less confusing.

One thing I'm not sure about is why my game keeps opening Oculus... Like it's using the Oculus run-time.

1 hour ago, chlywly said:

Ah gotcha, but there would be no diff between setting it in there vs in DCS. So ill just set it in DCS to make it less confusing.

One thing I'm not sure about is why my game keeps opening Oculus... Like it's using the Oculus run-time.

Sorry can't help you there. I know nothing of Oculus.

--Arthur C Clark

7 hours ago, chlywly said:

Remember that the actual resolution is a product of the two.  ie : final resolution = global setting x per app (DCS) setting.

Then..... FSR downscales the render first to the factor you place in the FSR settings file, does its algorithm stuff, and then the image is upscaled BACK UP to whatever you set to be the final resolution using  the product of the two Steam VR resolution settings.

The frame rate increase is a result of the FSR algorithms but comes at a cost of a degredation in quality of image DESPITE being at the produced at the desired resolution.  That is where the sharpness filter is used if desired.  Alternatively, you can experiment with increasing the final desired resolution  - but obviously there comes a point of zero return as the benefit of increased frametime of the FSR algorithm gets cancelled out by the cost of setting increased resolution (and thus more pixels to move) to combat the induced blur of the image due to the downscale/upscale process.

....At least that is how I have understood the process. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jon Fenton said:

Remember that the actual resolution is a product of the two.  ie : final resolution = global setting x per app (DCS) setting.

Then..... FSR downscales the render first to the factor you place in the FSR settings file, does its algorithm stuff, and then the image is upscaled BACK UP to whatever you set to be the final resolution using  the product of the two Steam VR resolution settings.

The frame rate increase is a result of the FSR algorithms but comes at a cost of a degredation in quality of image DESPITE being at the produced at the desired resolution.  That is where the sharpness filter is used if desired.  Alternatively, you can experiment with increasing the final desired resolution  - but obviously there comes a point of zero return as the benefit of increased frametime of the FSR algorithm gets cancelled out by the cost of setting increased resolution (and thus more pixels to move) to combat the induced blur of the image due to the downscale/upscale process.

....At least that is how I have understood the process. 

That makes more sense! I finally got it to a place Im comfortable with. Also using Steamvr as the OpenXR backend seems to have made it better. Dont think FSR was working before.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, how do I check if motion smoothing works? I remember there was an option in Developers tab of SteamVR, to display an indicator in top left corner. It changed colors, wether it works, or CPU or GPU limited. Now I cannot find that setting...

12900KF@5.4, 32GB DDR4@4000cl14g1, 4090, M.2, W10 Pro, Warthog HOTAS, ButtKicker, Reverb G2/OpenXR

1 hour ago, impalor said:

Hi guys, how do I check if motion smoothing works? I remember there was an option in Developers tab of SteamVR, to display an indicator in top left corner. It changed colors, wether it works, or CPU or GPU limited. Now I cannot find that setting...

I believe that particular function is under the Windows Mixed Reality UI.

20211201_180501_MixedReality.jpg

Edited by Sr.

--Arthur C Clark

On 12/2/2021 at 12:57 AM, Sr. said:

I believe that particular function is under the Windows Mixed Reality UI.

20211201_180501_MixedReality.jpg

Ah, yes, thanks, did not use hand controllers to look for it. So, does it still work? I used to fly with it on DCS 2.5, was working. Just tried with a better CPU, Auto and Forced, and it just drops my FPS from 50 to 35 and gives artifacts. Switched it back off. Also, what does Motion Smoothing on General tab do? I don't see any effect from it.

12900KF@5.4, 32GB DDR4@4000cl14g1, 4090, M.2, W10 Pro, Warthog HOTAS, ButtKicker, Reverb G2/OpenXR

Hey G2 users.  Had a question for those of you whom stream...

For almost 3 years (back to my G1 days) I've been using the Nvidia "custom resolution" feature to "simulate" my 1080p monitor up to 4K, which allows the DCS Mirror to have a pretty sharp center rectangle that I use in my OBS to stream.

Now it seems with the latest windows update, that any resolution that isn't monitor native immediately causes an "Error 1-8" in WMR and you cant boot your headset.  Has anyone gotten around this? 

I've got a 3440x1440P main monitor (so the vertical space with the DCS mirror is pitiful and the OBS comes out @ Potato resolution...  And a 1080P monitor that I used to upscale to 4K to get OBS some of those sweet high res pixels from the center rectangle.. 

Wanna get my stream sharp again...

New Setup : 13900K, Asus ROG Strix 4090, 64GB of DDR3600C14, 4x 2TB ADATA NVME, HP Reverb G2, Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil TM3 throttle, Monolith External Amp, DT 1990 Pro Headphones & TrackIR v5

Old Setup: 12900KS @ 5.5 , EVGA FTW3 Hybrid 3090, 64GB of DDR3600C14, 4x 2TB ADATA NVME, HP Reverb G2, Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil TM3 throttle, Monolith External Amp, Philips X2HR Headphones & TrackIR v5

Old Old Setup: 9900KS @ 5.2, EVGA FTW3 3090. 32GB of DDR3866, 3x 1TB ADATA NVME

On 12/3/2021 at 5:45 AM, impalor said:

Ah, yes, thanks, did not use hand controllers to look for it. So, does it still work? I used to fly with it on DCS 2.5, was working. Just tried with a better CPU, Auto and Forced, and it just drops my FPS from 50 to 35 and gives artifacts. Switched it back off. Also, what does Motion Smoothing on General tab do? I don't see any effect from it.

The indicator is a set of 3 square light bars that blink different colors to indicate the level (Red/green/grey I think) of reprojection that is occurring at any given instance. fpsVR also has a reprojection counter.

Enabling motion smoothing under general would apply it globally (to anything running under SVR... not recommended) I get a solid 45 fps using motion smoothing with only slight artifacting that I only see on things like the CDU buttons while panning my view.  Eliminating the stuttering while banking and looking out the cockpit is worth the trade off for a tiny bit of artifacts.

Edited by Sr.

--Arthur C Clark

En 23/11/2021 a las 4:02, chlywly dijo:

To solve this, I had Oculus before you can do two things........Going to Work Admin (ctrl+alt+sup) and end the Oculus services, or, in other way add a shortcut that points your DCS.exe located in the bin folder of your main instalation and then edit it with this param :

"your installation directory\bin\DCS.exe" --force_steam_VR

Intel i9 10850k - MSI Tomahawk 490z - 64 GB DDR4 3000 - HP Reverb G2 - MSI optix Mag321curv 4k monitor - MSI RTX 3080ti - Winwing Orion Throttle base plus F18 stick

• 1 month later...

Fun fact for VR w/ windows mixed reality where you get good frames alt-tabbed but drag frames in focus. 

Go to dcs.exe in the bin folder. Right click->properties->compatibility->disable full screen optimization

Initial frame rate decrease. But a restart or two corrects that 

Works for me at least

Let me know if it helped you as well!

Side note. Works even if you don't full screen dcs

Am 7.12.2021 um 19:46 schrieb DroptheHammer:

Hey G2 users.  Had a question for those of you whom stream...

For almost 3 years (back to my G1 days) I've been using the Nvidia "custom resolution" feature to "simulate" my 1080p monitor up to 4K, which allows the DCS Mirror to have a pretty sharp center rectangle that I use in my OBS to stream.

Now it seems with the latest windows update, that any resolution that isn't monitor native immediately causes an "Error 1-8" in WMR and you cant boot your headset.  Has anyone gotten around this? 

I've got a 3440x1440P main monitor (so the vertical space with the DCS mirror is pitiful and the OBS comes out @ Potato resolution...  And a 1080P monitor that I used to upscale to 4K to get OBS some of those sweet high res pixels from the center rectangle.. 

Wanna get my stream sharp again...

Even though it is a bit late and i do not stream, why don't you use the OpenVR Plugin for OBS?
"This OBS plugin provides an input plugin to 64bit OBS that allows capturing directly from OpenVR/SteamVR mirror surface in full resolution."
https://github.com/baffler/OBS-OpenVR-Input-Plugin

On 11/13/2021 at 3:18 AM, speed-of-heat said:

ensure that 

WMR for Steam VR Settings

I use the beta version of Steam VR and Windows Mixed Reality Portal for VR

The changes I make for WMR for Steam VR Settings, I let SteamVR manage its Motion Reprojection for DCS and other VR games:

WMR4SVR Settings.png

I like your guide that you put together for your DCS settings. Going through it I noticed I had the motion Reprojection settings in WMR for SteamVR settings set to disabled. But in the Per App resolution of Steam VR settings I had motion smoothing to enabled. 

Once I changed the reprojection setting to the "Steam VR per App" setting I got the "SteamVr has encountered an error and needs to restart" while I was running a pretty busy campaign mission. During the beginning of the mission there was also lag and stutter. I'm using a 9900k at 4.9ghz, 32gb Ram, and a 3080Ti. Have you ever run into this? Seems if I set the reprojection back to disabled the crash does not occur randomly while flying.

I am running stable steamVR but WMR for SteamVR beta according to Thud's DCS VR guide. Latest Nvidia drivers, windows is all up to date. I was surprised because when I had my 1080Ti I never got this error. At this point I am very confused on what the proper WMR settings should be after I've upgraded my GPU. I figured going from a custom resolution of 74% in per app settings of steamvr to 80% would not cause a big impact but it may have at this point. Wanted to see if I could squeeze a bit more clarity.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz