Windows Mixed Reality Discussion

NineLine

20 minutes ago, sze5003 said:

I like your guide that you put together for your DCS settings. Going through it I noticed I had the motion Reprojection settings in WMR for SteamVR settings set to disabled. But in the Per App resolution of Steam VR settings I had motion smoothing to enabled. 

Once I changed the reprojection setting to the "Steam VR per App" setting I got the "SteamVr has encountered an error and needs to restart" while I was running a pretty busy campaign mission. During the beginning of the mission there was also lag and stutter. I'm using a 9900k at 4.9ghz, 32gb Ram, and a 3080Ti. Have you ever run into this? Seems if I set the reprojection back to disabled the crash does not occur randomly while flying.

I am running stable steamVR but WMR for SteamVR beta according to Thud's DCS VR guide. Latest Nvidia drivers, windows is all up to date. I was surprised because when I had my 1080Ti I never got this error. At this point I am very confused on what the proper WMR settings should be after I've upgraded my GPU. I figured going from a custom resolution of 74% in per app settings of steamvr to 80% would not cause a big impact but it may have at this point. Wanted to see if I could squeeze a bit more clarity.

thanks!

re motion smoothing settings:

testing artefact.. i always test with it disabled.

Testing = Disabled 

MSAA = Forced

no MSAA = Enabled 

on my 3090, i couid likely get away with it "enabled" .

nope never seen a mission crash because of motion smoothing.  It might be a memory thing.. 

Edited by speed-of-heat

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

11 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

thanks!

Testing = Disabled 

MSAA = Forced

no MSAA = Enabled 

nope never seen a mission crash because of motion smoothing.  It might be a memory thing.. 

I think it could be since I don't have a page file on my main drive, even though DCS is installed on another ssd. I will set one and see what happens. Last night I uninstalled SteamVr and WMR for steamVR and reinstalled them along with the new Nvidia drivers. This was the first time I had seen this error and the motion reprojection setting was the only change I had made aside from bumping up the per app resolution.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

34 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

thanks!

Testing = Disabled 

MSAA = Forced

no MSAA = Enabled 

Been catching up on set up stuff for VR & a G2... not sure what is current practice for this -> do you edit that WMR file default.vrsettings, commenting out the "motionReprojectionMode" line, or leave that alone and just set in OpenVRSettingsUX.exe GUI to select SteamVR per app?

Intel i5-12600K | RTX4080 Super OC 16GB | 64GB 3600 MHz RAM | M.2 SSDs | Meta Quest 3

@Steel Jaw, hello to a fellow Canuck. Concerning this particular issue that I asked about... I think not? New to VR myself, though I think I read that optionally Oculus stuff can be run thru SteamVR... there may be benefits in doing so to take advantage of SteamVR motion smoothing, etc....

Edited by johnbowzer

Intel i5-12600K | RTX4080 Super OC 16GB | 64GB 3600 MHz RAM | M.2 SSDs | Meta Quest 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/17/2022 at 2:14 AM, gruetgruet said:

Even though it is a bit late and i do not stream, why don't you use the OpenVR Plugin for OBS?
"This OBS plugin provides an input plugin to 64bit OBS that allows capturing directly from OpenVR/SteamVR mirror surface in full resolution."
https://github.com/baffler/OBS-OpenVR-Input-Plugin

This plugin hasn't been updated and frankly gives a very jerky stream. Sure it's at full res, but it stutters constantly...

What I'm doing instead, is using the new DLDSR option on Nvidia cards to render my desktop (not DCS) at 6K resolution (roughly) which allows my DCS Mirror to be a full 4K tall without touching the edges.  Using the standard DCS Window capture, OBS is now getting a perfectly smooth, full 2160x2160 resolution to look at.  When I crop to 1080, it's super crisp and fluid.  Works great and while streaming i'm only seeing around a 3FPS average hit over my normal FPS in each scenario.

with a 12900K OC'd to 5.4 and 3090 OC'd to 2025mhz and 11000mhz ram... I'm seeing my stream constantly at a smooth 60fps with my Reverb G2, even in very intensive multiplayer scenarios.  I'm also using NIS upscaling with FHolgers mods.  it looks great, at 700% Zoom, looking at HSDs, switches and tomcat textures in lightroom screencaps I cannot tell the difference (and my squad can't either using a blind test of 5 mixed images) between NIS @ 0.59 with 200%PD and 60-90FPS vs Native Res at 150%PD with 45FPS.

If you look at some of my most recent twitch vids.. you can see for yourself.

Edited by DroptheHammer
completeness

New Setup : 13900K, Asus ROG Strix 4090, 64GB of DDR3600C14, 4x 2TB ADATA NVME, HP Reverb G2, Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil TM3 throttle, Monolith External Amp, DT 1990 Pro Headphones & TrackIR v5

Old Setup: 12900KS @ 5.5 , EVGA FTW3 Hybrid 3090, 64GB of DDR3600C14, 4x 2TB ADATA NVME, HP Reverb G2, Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil TM3 throttle, Monolith External Amp, Philips X2HR Headphones & TrackIR v5

Old Old Setup: 9900KS @ 5.2, EVGA FTW3 3090. 32GB of DDR3866, 3x 1TB ADATA NVME

• 1 month later...

OMG this video !

Works amazing - why did this not get sorted 2 years ago! Forget Steam VR now - This is the way !   I have full gfx settings on high including shadows maxed out and butter smooth set at 30 FPS reprojection 4 x msa and open XR on 100% - Open VR toolkit setting - FOV - Quality - 30 FPS reprojection. Make sure steam isn't running! use the open XR APi in the video. 

Sod buying the varjo now, its now everything it should have been ! 

Thought I'd pop in and tell you all 🙂 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Kercheiz said:

Is there a way to get sound following head movements? Currently turning my head doesn't make any change in sound direction, which is a big immersion killer I think.

i think that's more a game engine limitation ... 

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

yeah, so the question is does it do it in 2d ... i haven't really paid attention ... if it does it should do it in VR it's just a stereo channel 

En 5/5/2022 a las 15:58, speed-of-heat dijo:

yeah, so the question is does it do it in 2d ... i haven't really paid attention ... if it does it should do it in VR it's just a stereo channel 

I am going to try to assing "usb 2.0 hp reveb sound" to spatial sound and look what happens.

Intel i9 10850k - MSI Tomahawk 490z - 64 GB DDR4 3000 - HP Reverb G2 - MSI optix Mag321curv 4k monitor - MSI RTX 3080ti - Winwing Orion Throttle base plus F18 stick

Any news on when wmr4steam is gonna fix the issue that made me go to another version I think I had to switch to LMK version I believe it was that or ilk. Im having no issues at the moment with that version but just wondering if anybody knows of any progress about this.

Thanks

Edited by Burt

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

• 2 weeks later...

Holy cow!  I think my G2 is toast.

I had just finished a repair install and enabled a shader mod, started WMR portal then launched DCS for the usual process of running through each aircraft/map to rebuild shaders.

I started with A-10C II (top of the list) Caucuses/Free Flight like I've done several times before. The first to rebuild usually takes the longest...

Sat here watching the loading screen in mirror mode...

Went through every aircraft and map. Finished and put on my G2 only to notice a slight flicker, then I could make out a rectangular, faint, image of the A-10 that is usually on screen (and flickering) when loading an A-10 mission... but it looks like a color photo negative.

I have tried clearing environment, AMD driver shaders, reboot etc... but the image is still there, even if all I run is WMR portal.

Is there some magic way to clear this out...? it can't possibly have burned that loading screen on to the panels in that short time. Even the flashing only on the rectangular image not the entire POV.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

On 5/10/2022 at 5:39 PM, Burt said:

Any news on when wmr4steam is gonna fix the issue that made me go to another version I think I had to switch to LMK version I believe it was that or ilk. Im having no issues at the moment with that version but just wondering if anybody knows of any progress about this.

Thanks

I went back to the regular version and it is fine for me.

• Thanks 1

i7 12700KF | MSI Z690 A-PRO | Corsair Vengeance 2x16 gb @ 3200 Mhz | RTX 3070 Ti FE | Acer XB271HU 1440P 144HZ | Virpil T-50 CM throttle | Virpil WarBRD Base + MongoosT-50 CM2 Grip | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR 5 | HP Reverb G2

Bf 109 K-4 | Fw 190 A-8 | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | P-51D | Fw 190 D-9 | P-47D | Mosquito FB VI | F/A 18C | F-14 A/B | F-16C | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | M-2000C | A-10C | AJS-37 Viggen | UH-1H | Ka-50 | Mi-24P | C-101 | Flaming Cliffs 3

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | The Channel | Syria

• 5 months later...

Hi all. Question for you all. During the past few weeks I’ve been having nothing but issues with my reverb G2. It seems I can’t fly more then 5 minutes if luck with out the screen going blue and the WMR restarting. 
Many times just starting the computer I’ll get errors when it starts. All drivers are updated, it’s plugged into usb 3.0. I’m not sure if it’s the version 2 cord that replaced the original cord that’s failing or what. 
So, frustrating when you want to blow off some steam and can’t. I apologize for the lack of detailed info on this but to me it seems like I’ve tried everything to fix this issue with no eval. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you for your time 

wood

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

33 minutes ago, Wood said:

Hi all. Question for you all. During the past few weeks I’ve been having nothing but issues with my reverb G2. It seems I can’t fly more then 5 minutes if luck with out the screen going blue and the WMR restarting. 
Many times just starting the computer I’ll get errors when it starts. All drivers are updated, it’s plugged into usb 3.0. I’m not sure if it’s the version 2 cord that replaced the original cord that’s failing or what. 
So, frustrating when you want to blow off some steam and can’t. I apologize for the lack of detailed info on this but to me it seems like I’ve tried everything to fix this issue with no eval. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you for your time 

wood

Curious if you ever applied the firmware update to address the early issue with the G2 wherein, the headset would crash if the system volume was too loud. (like over 55%)? 

Short of that, sounds like you have a cable malfunction. Probably near where it attaches to the port on the headset. The wires inside the bundle are tiny and not bend friendly.

Edited by Sr.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

1 hour ago, Wood said:

During the past few weeks I’ve been having nothing but issues with my reverb G2. It seems I can’t fly more then 5 minutes if luck with out the screen going blue and the WMR restarting. 

usual suspects: bad cable (pinch point on headset is a big contributor to this), or bad /not enough capacity power supply. When running G2, you will be pushing your gpu to the limit and it will need a lot of good clean power. If your PSU isn't up to the task, strange things may happen (ex: I was actually popping breakers, so I'd be flying and suddenly lose all power to the room in my house. I upgraded my PSU to higher capacity and it stopped happening) 

edit: I'd start with the cable and if that doesn't fix it, consider whether your PSU is up to the task

Edited by prccowboy

Hey guys. Thanks for the jock response and the great info. 
Can’t recall the firmware but I’m pretty sure I updated it. Didn’t remember the sound issue above 55%. Definitely will check that when I get back. 

I suspected the possibility of the wire connection to the headset a possibility as well as my power supply pooping it as well. Will look into that as well 

however, I did try the advise of looping the cable so it’s away from the head and  so far so good. 
looks like I’ll have to order another cable in the near future or fix it some how. 
anyways.  Thanks a million for this. 

wood 

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/13/2022 at 10:10 AM, Spectrum48k said:

Is anyone else getting problems with Game crashes lately?

no runs fine. 

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well guys... whatEVER you do while flying... never never never never NEVER ever press Windows key without any other key!!! It will f... you up big time by making SteamVR VR-menu pop up and there is NO WAY that you can close it without entirely restarting DCS!!! (assuming that you also don't have any VR hand-controllers.) Worst thing ever that can happen to any pilot flying in DCS, having been flying for 15 minutes towards the combat area for example and suddenly, boom... 😫 I wish ED programmers were able to remove that incredibly awkward SteamVR ""feature"" that Valve added.

Oh, it seems it's possible to disable that in SteamVR settings!

Edited by D4n
DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

3 hours ago, D4n said:

Well guys... whatEVER you do while flying... never never never never NEVER ever press Windows key without any other key!!! It will f... you up big time by making SteamVR VR-menu pop up and there is NO WAY that you can close it without entirely restarting DCS!!! (assuming that you also don't have any VR hand-controllers.) Worst thing ever that can happen to any pilot flying in DCS, having been flying for 15 minutes towards the combat area for example and suddenly, boom... 😫 I wish ED programmers were able to remove that incredibly awkward SteamVR ""feature"" that Valve added.

Oh, it seems it's possible to disable that in SteamVR settings!

Hmm sounds like something that should be on Steam VR rather than ED.

But seriously - i never reach out and try to touch my keyboard whilst flying VR in DCS - ever. That is just asking for trouble. Now I will say I have a VKB Gunfighter Stick and Virpil CM3 Throttle. Between these two I have lots of buttons/switches/axis available to me. Further to that I have Point Control with the aux button banks on each side of my VR headset, so that gives me 6 more buttons available to me.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|