Yet another freeze -

So, go ahead, treat me like I'm dumb - I'm new to DCS, and yes, I've Googled, I've forum searched, I've YouTubed, etc etc, and can't seem to find that "trick" that everyone else has

Specs

i7 8700k @3.7 (not OC'd)

1080Ti w/ 12GB, latest nVidia drivers as of 10 May 2018

16GB Mem (don't remember speed)

32GB Fixed size swap file

OS is on a SSD, game is on a 7200RPM HDD (SSD doesn't have enough room)

Windows 10, patched to latest

TrackHat IR with OpenTrack (the one setup for it)

Triple Dell S2716DG's in nVidia Surround

Use Notepad++ ver 7.5.6 to edit LUA's

It freezes, randomly. It DOES feel like it's happening when things have to load - A city comes into view, I spin my head quickly, etc

My problem is in both 2.5 release and 2.5.1 beta. I mainly fly the UH-1H, so it happens a lot there, but I've bumped into it a bit in the TF-51 and P-51.

I've tried the nVidia control panel setting the Pre Rendered Frame to "use the 3D application" to 1, 3, or 4, high graphic settings in the game, low graphic settings, told DCS 1 screen, told it 3, tried both of those while running nVidia Surround and while NOT running Surround, I've tried setting the Field of View in the saved games DCS.openbeta\Config\View\SnapViews.lua

When I try and change the FOV in the aircraft LUA itself, the aircraft vanishes out of the game, regardless of what setting I tell it. When people say set it to less than 140, is that a COMBINED total or a per monitor. In other words, is it "Change it to 120" or "Change it to 60, which will equal 120 across three screens"? No one explains that.

There's a video on Youtube where a guy goes through setting it up in game, nvidia, and windows, I've tried his settings

I do not know what else to try. Am I editing the right LUA files? All the answers I find contradict themselves. I would LOVE it if someone could hold my hand and say "Here, this file, this exact line" to make sure I'm doing it right.

Lots of answers, again, contradict themselves, are WAY out of date, or assume you already know what you are doing/have been messing with DCS for a while.

iRacing, Asseto Corsa, Elite Dangerous, etc...None of them have anywhere the difficulty of setting up trips/FOV

So, to sum up, my game freezes all the time, in random locations, but has a feel as of it's duing a loading of items phase, no graphics settings I've tried seems to work. Help?

***EDIT***

I tried running it on my SSD despite space limitation - did not help

***EDIT***

Last night I tried turning the Preload Radius WAYYYY down. Less than the "half" that DCS recommends. It SEEMED to help a bit, both with stutters and with freezing, BUT, it still froze the game. Today I'm trying newer drivers from nVidia and trying to figure out this Deferred Shading thing people are saying you should try turning off? I made a post about it, but can't find the option anywhere

Edited by Swany

B. "Swany" Swanberg

Gigabyte Designare, Intel i9 9900KF (3.6, OC'd to 5.0)

32GB Patriot Viper Steel (black, non-RGB)

OS installed on a Samsung Evo 970 1TB SSD

DCS installed on a Samsun Evo 860 1TB SSD

EVGA 2080Ti 11GB

EVGA Supernova 720p 750w PS

3 Dell S2716DG monitors in Surround mode (7680x1440)

Oculus Rift S VR

Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle and Stick

Thrusmaster Rudder Pedals

assorted button boxes/Arduino boards

All drivers always kept up to date (30 days old, max)

No one has any thoughts? Everyone agrees then that I edited the right things and there's nothing left to try?

B. "Swany" Swanberg

EVGA 2080Ti 11GB

Oculus Rift S VR

I see where your computer specs are perfect except for one. I have seen or heard that DCS will run much better on a SSD. There is also several points that persons here use, that helps with your common problem.

I found the same as you trying to get information. It is frustrating. Folks do not read entire posts and do not answer all your questions.

Here are a few....suggestions mentioned :

"Try downgrading your Nvidia driver to the following exact version: 388.59."

" Those of you having studding issues, especially in MP can you try to turn on VSync."

"Just a reminder- make sure you are using full screen mode (but done with LALT+ENTER)."

"I tried switching off vsync in game, and that made the fps go up into the 70s and the stutters seem to have disappeared too." (Contradicting statements)

Those posts were in 2013 five years ago.

Todays:

"today my Flighttime was 2:20 Hours with A-10C on Caucasus Map and i had many small freezes and 1 heavy Freeze."

From these posts on this entry no one has come up with solutions....many guesses and some trials work for some. The only thing I see is using a SSD drive.

The problems are as always...a work in progress as ED is constantly changing the code which many times causes more bugs. ED is trying to repair and introduce more substance at the same time. I was counting on their release of 2.5 to finally be the stable release. They are still having problems but are working on solutions. To enjoy this software, you must have the patience of JOB. And deep pockets.

Laz

lazduc, thank you for responding. Really do appreciate it.

I did try putting it on my SSD for a while and it didn't help.

I use full screen without vsync since I have gsync. I haven't turned on the FPS viewer since it runs smooth until I run into the problem, so amount of FPS I'm not concerned about until I can get the freeze fixed. I don't do multiplayer as of yet so I can't speak about that

B. "Swany" Swanberg

EVGA 2080Ti 11GB

Oculus Rift S VR

"do a clean up & repair of dcs

delete the metashader & fxo folders in your saved games folder

then run DCS without any other programs running / mods, and launch a quick mission to help build new shader files"

from a member called dingo_bob. it might be worth a try

Ok, did another clean and repair (tried that before, but didn't know about deleting/renaming the fxo and meta folders).

I dont' know if it helped, or it was just a coincidence, but the game ran longer than usual - and then locked up.

I finally got a reply from DCS/ED - They said they put out a fix for testing in the latest openbeta 2.5.1 - I'm running the open beta 2.5.1 and that's where my freezes are coming from as of late (I went to open beta a few days ago trying to see if it would help with the freezes in 2.5.0 release) - So that's not helping. They had me send them my dxdiag.txt file

B. "Swany" Swanberg

EVGA 2080Ti 11GB

Oculus Rift S VR

Just curious if ED mentioned what the fix is that needs testing? Seems like ED is also having trouble trying to fix this darn problem with freezes and studders in their software code.

Imho I can only assume from all the information on this problem, the closest anyone has come to any common solutions is to have the fastest computer available. It appears that those who have these supercomputers can tweak them into eliminating the studders, albeit a lot of knowledge and many trials.

As I mentioned before, the current philosophy on this blog is if you do not have the fastest hardware and ask a question, the usual reply after looking at your computer specifications and in their opinion, feel your computer is insufficient to run this very extremely resource hungry game is to upgrade your system.

Imho, I also note that not only hardware but a background in computer science is also suggested/warranted .

Their seems to be a lack of empathy for the less fortunate monetarily and scientifically

educated. Not only these issues but the lack of personal time demanded to solve the current bugs in your setup.

ED though is working tirelessly to solve issues. My hope is Ed will arrive at a stable release soon, that will justify my investment in their company's software and allow all my purchases to be able to run smoothly.

Laz

They did not say, sorry.

My machine isn't "uber", but it's a pretty good machine. It can run any of my other sims/games at high and ultra high settings without much problem (iRacing, Elite Dangerous, Far Cry 5, Witcher 3, etc). The only thing I'm really down on is an SSD for gaming.

So, as an added note, I was reading about turning off deferred shading to help - In the release version, I can confirm, it did NOT help. Froze within minutes

B. "Swany" Swanberg

EVGA 2080Ti 11GB

Oculus Rift S VR

So, Preload Radius is almost off, and MSAA is off....no help there either

B. "Swany" Swanberg

EVGA 2080Ti 11GB

Oculus Rift S VR

I use VR so maybe totally wrong but I have preload and clutter etc at max, Try and use as much of the VRAM as possible. I know with the latest 2.5.1 it tends not to use any where as much RAM, both RAM and VRAM as previous version, althoug it would be nice if it used what is available.

When you say freeze to you mean it just stalls for a fraction of second?

If so could be hitting 100% GPU usage, this tends to cause what most people call micro stutters and I tend to drop some settings such as MSAA and for VR pixel density just to keep the GPU from hitting 100%

It may mean lowering some settings but you might find that with DS it may actually look better, it does for me in VR.

Ii would recommend dropping an SSD to run DCS off

Check GPU usage with Task manager or your favourite tool.

i7 5930@4.7Gkz

1080Ti@1.97Ghz

64GB RAM@2.4Ghz

SSD OS and storage

YMMV

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

No, no stuttering (though I get that too, a lot). This is straight up freeze. Doesn't move. I have to use Task Manager to kill it or wait for the Not Responding error to kill it. The last audio thing to play will keep playing, never stopping. If it's a voice over, the voice over plays, then stops, and just the plane/jet/helicopter running sound goes, and that's it.

I've checked it when it's freezing - System reports roughly 11-12% CPU usage and very little memory. It'll move the CPU usage up and down, which is odd, program is acting like it's still running, but it's not.

B. "Swany" Swanberg

EVGA 2080Ti 11GB

Oculus Rift S VR

Okay have you checked the dcs.log file after a crash? it may give you some idea as to what caused the crash, after you either use takmanager of can the program goto

C:\users\youaccountname\saved games\DCSopenbeta\logs\dcs

The file will be called dcs.log however depending on the view setting in explorer may just called dcs rename it so it doesn't get over written next time you run DCS. Some of the more learned guys may be able to determine what might be causing the crashes.

I know with the latest DCS OB version I was getting a number of similar crashes in MP yesterday.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

This is the latest dcs.log file after my last crash last night

dcs.log.txt

B. "Swany" Swanberg

EVGA 2080Ti 11GB

Oculus Rift S VR

This is the latest dcs.log file after my last crash last night

Are you running any 3rd party mods?

Likely a silly question have you done an repair and update?

Also if you are running an antivirus app have you tried to disable it when running DCS?

Are you graphics and sound drivers upto date or have you changed them recently?

Are you running any 3rd party mods?

Likely a silly question have you done an repair and update?

Also if you are running an antivirus app have you tried to disable it when running DCS?

Are you graphics and sound drivers upto date or have you changed them recently?

No third party apps outside of what you get from DCS's website (IE, the UH-1H Huey)

I've done the repair/update/delete fxo/meta folders

AV is Microsofts built in

All drivers are up to date

It's definitely something within the game. I realize a lot of people play with little to no problems, but there's also a lot who have the same problems I'm having.

DCS is also the only one that causes my screen saver to stop working. I can run anything else installed on my system, ANYTHING - Game, video, web based, etc etc - and the screen saver works fine. If I run DCS, the screen saver will not run again until I reboot my system. Nor will my system go to sleep after the specified time.

There is something WAY wrong with DCS

B. "Swany" Swanberg

EVGA 2080Ti 11GB

Oculus Rift S VR

No third party apps outside of what you get from DCS's website (IE, the UH-1H Huey)

There is something WAY wrong with DCS

Or a combination of DCS/software/hardware.

On a lighter note I remember when using a screen and DCS didn't intercept the screen saver system, I'd be flying Huey or Gazelle and all of a sudden Black. I quickly disabled screen saver after the first few crashes. :music_whistling:

Agree there must be some bugs with software not playing together well apart from some crashes on MP server over the weekend SP seems fine for me. I clocked several hours over the weekend on Mi8, Huey and Gazelle in all maps ,so I feel your pain hang in. I had a Microsoft update earlier this year that bricked my OS that was a PIA I had to reinstall everything from OS on.

Last silly question before I head to work have you tried DCS with out TrackIR or even single screen??

Or a combination of DCS/software/hardware.

On a lighter note I remember when using a screen and DCS didn't intercept the screen saver system, I'd be flying Huey or Gazelle and all of a sudden Black. I quickly disabled screen saver after the first few crashes. :music_whistling:

Agree there must be some bugs with software not playing together well apart from some crashes on MP server over the weekend SP seems fine for me. I clocked several hours over the weekend on Mi8, Huey and Gazelle in all maps ,so I feel your pain hang in. I had a Microsoft update earlier this year that bricked my OS that was a PIA I had to reinstall everything from OS on.

Last silly question before I head to work have you tried DCS with out TrackIR or even single screen??

Not single screen and not without TrackHat (competitor to TrackIR). However, I have started minimizing how much I move my head, and like RedShoes from last year, it's helped.

Frag, really do appreciate you taking the time (and words of encouragement) to help. I really want to love this game, and for the most part I do. It's beautiful, I get to fly the Huey, something I've wanted to do for 40+ years (and it's wonderful eye candy!)

B. "Swany" Swanberg

EVGA 2080Ti 11GB

Oculus Rift S VR

Not single screen and not without TrackHat (competitor to TrackIR). However, I have started minimizing how much I move my head, and like RedShoes from last year, it's helped.

Frag, really do appreciate you taking the time (and words of encouragement) to help. I really want to love this game, and for the most part I do. It's beautiful, I get to fly the Huey, something I've wanted to do for 40+ years (and it's wonderful eye candy!)

Damn you just reminded me that it's been about 40 years since I went up in a Huey, no active duty just a week training exercise, bought back some memories and has it really been 40 years wow! :D

Have there been any other Trackhat users experiencing issues?

Pisst couldn't interest you in Rift,.. :music_whistling:

All the helicopters are awesome in Rift*. Although I have never used Trackxxx I went from a single monitor to nearly needing a barf bag the first time. :D

*Rift is not without it's short comings either.

Alternatively rolling back to previous version could be an option if that worked okay for you.

Good to know, thanks. :thumbup:

so, just flew for about an hour and half (free flight, UH-1H). Went smooth except for -

Every time I'd start flipping through the ADF freq's, it's lock for a split second when it would come across a used freq or when leaving a used one.

And then the landing - As SOON as I started to spin the huey while at hover, it locked up. So it HAS to have something to do with when it's loading stuff

B. "Swany" Swanberg

EVGA 2080Ti 11GB

Oculus Rift S VR

I not at home ATM but yes there are some references to stuff not found, I remember something I the log about 'Amber Warning light' for Huey missing.

Do you have other modules you could try?

Do you feel brave enough to remove the Huey and re load it?

I'll have a think about this maybe even gove BigNewey a pm...

Quickly reading through, sorry about your troubles Swany.

Very strange seeing you have decent PC...

I would try disabling OpenTrack first and give that ago, to see if it's messing with DCS.

"32GB Fixed size swap file" Let windows handle this swap file for now and make sure the swap file is using the SSD drive and not the mechanical hdd.

I've see over 20 GB used, plus other background running windows apps.

Have you got MSI afterburner installed? and know how to set it up? it's OK if you don't.

Just check one thing, I helped someone recently with a similar problem here, launch DCS then pause the sim as seen below in the pic.

Bring up the windows task manager then switch to the details tab.

Right click on DCS and select "Set Affinity" they should be set like the pic below.

That's what MSI afterburner can show you on screen, see the large pagefile 20GB.

attachment.php?attachmentid=179577&stc=1&d=1519200554

Here is a video testing this, could be worth a try.

-

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

I not at home ATM but yes there are some references to stuff not found, I remember something I the log about 'Amber Warning light' for Huey missing.

Do you have other modules you could try?

Do you feel brave enough to remove the Huey and re load it?

I'll have a think about this maybe even gove BigNewey a pm...

I could reload it, but haven't because it happens in other modules as well (Spitfire, P-51D)

Again, thanks for taking the time to help.

Edited by Swany

B. "Swany" Swanberg

EVGA 2080Ti 11GB

Oculus Rift S VR