Vista Upgrade Nightmare

Hi guy ... So today I started to install XP pro 64 on my AMD 64.. And I'm planning on installing Vista Business 64 on this one as soon as I get the disk..

So now I'm having more issues with the 64 bit raid drivers from Asus's web sight...

I called California and spoke with a teck and he sent me and e-mail with an attachment... I copied these to a floppy and preceded with the install..

Windows finally installed XP.. Although towards the end I got a flag stating that it didn't recognise the type of drivers and might cause a problem later..

Well it did after the initial install the system rebooted and after the biosloaded, Windows wouldn't open.. I tried it several times and I even went into the bois, changed some settings to alter the boot sequence, a no go.. went back and loaded the default settings and still no go...

So I guess these weren't the right raid drivers and I'm going to have to contact Asus again tomorrow...

One ting though and this might be the cause of my problem.. The system will not shut down.. I have to manually turn off the power supply switch..

WTF... nothing is easy...

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS ROG MAX VIII Extreme

G.Skill TridentZ Series 32 GB

Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SATA II

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

sounds like you MB is on its way out, or the power switch is faulty.

Have you tried clearing your bios by joining the jumpers together? It in you MB manual. Ive had to do that a few times whilst tinkering and screwing things up. That might get you back to square one again.

cheers

• Like 1

Thanks Nate that did cross my mind also... Think I'll try that maybe sometime today..

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

This morning I heard the bell ring, and before I could get there, whoever it was was gone.. Then I looked down and saw a small box..

It was Vista... just one copy and its the Business 32 bit edition not the 64 bit which is actually the one I wanted to try first on My AMD 64 PC...

Buy that's alright because I haven't had much success installing XP 64... I cleared out the BIOS by moving the CMNS jumper and even pulled the battery but got the same issue again ... For some reason the raid 64 bit drivers aren't signed off by MS... I keep getting this message about 1/2 way through installation... So after the install completes, the system reboots and loads up the BIOS... The next step should be the black XP screen with the little blue boxes running sequentially across the bottom of the screen... Instead there is a flash of a blue screen, that's called I think a SBDOS ??? The system reboots again, and the the next screen that appears is a request to run in the safe mode or restore windows to the last workable setting.. No matter what I try, it just gets stuck in a loop...

I don't really think its a hardware issue but an Asus 64 bit RAID driver issue ...

Anyway I'm almost tempted to installing Vista on my gaming rig (LOL) But no I'll just keep at this until its sorted out...

I'm going to call Asus in California again tomorrow and see what suggestions they've got .... Hopefully they can give me some compatable drivers...

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

Try this: set the raid back to ata and then try it again. You might jsut switch it back to raid after you install your o/s. I was having to deal with something like this very similar with my cousins computer when I built it, and it took me a good while to figure out wtf was going on.

Hitman: Thanks for the advice Bro... I've actually got the XP 64 O/S flyin' finally... You were right I dumped the Promise RAID drivers for VIA 64 bit... The promose 64 are all buggered up .. So I'm downloading the usual software that you need, like printers, digital camera stuff.. The usual.... LOL

But I'm not going to put any games on it... There's some issues already as lot of applications don't run on 64Bit .. So that's settled.. It's cool for the next phase, installing Vista 64 and I'm sure its going to be a real bear :megalol:

So this will give me a better understanding of what I'll need to do when I feel its time to put Vista on the gaming rig..

I have the Vista upgrade for 32 bit right now and I'm really tempted to install it, but no I'm using a lot of will power and will wait for Vista 64.. And its actually supposed to arrive on My Birthday (no lie)..... So I'm also getting a lot of Sony audio equipment for my home theatre set up... I was trying to get them to also buy an old Jaguar so I could tinker around with it... But the answer was no... I'm going to keep at it though, it might still happen.... :megalol:

IMG_0132.jpg

Heres a shot of it.. It needs a lot of tinkering....

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

• 4 weeks later...

Well after waiting 4 months for the upgrade Vista 64 disk to arrive...

It finally did but guess what, it's another Vista 32 bit upgrade... So I now have two of the same disks... and the one that I'm actually going to use first is for the 64 bit operating system...

I'm now faced with more phone calls to the Microsoft upgrade department, and most likely an other long wait with more shipping fees.. What a nightmare this is .....

And I'm doing all this just to gain experience with Vista.... :unsure:

I'm certainly not going to install Vista 64 on my gaming computer as the drivers for 32, (from what I've been reading) are hard enough to get to function let alone the 64 drivers...

And also I've just installed a new MB in my gaming PC and its running well...

So I don't want to fool with that at present...

Today is Sunday and the call to Microsoft went unanswered as they're not working weekends... So I'm now faced with waiting one more day, I don't know whats worse Star Force or Microsoft as I'm facing issues with both right now.... :dunno:

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

I just cant believe people get so much repeatedly shafted by newly released microsoft products and its still a success because of the much uncontrolable impulse to upgrade. My brother keeps teeling me that OS is the gamers dream even after my repeated warnings not to open that pandoras box.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

IMG_0132.jpg

Heres a shot of it.. It needs a lot of tinkering....

Be carefully with 64bit Vista (with 64bit-version=No Go with uncertified drivers).

I have to admit: you have style “V12 XJS” :pilotfly: :D

DELL Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 940 2,93 GHz @3 GHz, 8 MB cache | 8.192 MB 1.067 MHz Tri Channel DDR3

| 512 MB ATI® Radeon™ 4850 | 500 GB 7200 rpm Serial ATA | Samsung SM 2693 HM 25.5 " | HOTAS Cougar Thrustmaster |

Thats funny Blaze cuz for some reason I keep getting the 64bit version in the mail instead of the 32 bit I keep ordering from Acer. Im gonna have to call them up again and biatch some more at em when I get my laptop back.

then why dont you guys mail each others disks? it would be much faster. :)

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

You know that thought did cross my mind as well, What about it HM do you want to do that instead...

Good call PA...

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

Ok.. I called the Microsoft Upgrade Dept today concerning the mistake in shipping me a 32 bit disk instead of a 64...

Well it seems that MS has made a last minute decision to not send out 64bit disks for any upgrades... So its 32 bit take or or leave it....

This does suck but it's not the end of the world for me, I was only upgrading Vista 64 on my business computer to familiarize myself with it ..

I have no intentions on using the 64 on my new gaming PC.. The 32 bit drivers for Vista are hard enough to deal with...

Anyway I'm going to wait before I upgrade or its downgrade :music_whistling: Vista...

Its still not really mature enough from what I can see...

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

Well I've finally gotten a 64 bit disk for Vista.. MFG this was no easy task..

But you know my troubles might just be beginning :megalol:

I've got it insalled on this very unstable 64 bit AMD system.. Well so far it looks good, its going to take a while to solve all of these issues that I have, but I like it so far...

Thank you hitman ...

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

Ok everything's cool here now... I had a loose stick of memory.. It must have come loose when I was pulling out some components.. So I just took the eraser from a pencil and rubbed the memory contacts, cleaned off the residue, and installed them in reverse order.. So it seems to have fixed the instability, every thing seems to be rock solid ...

Vista has a screen that shows your set up after you boot up.. I mean this rig was a high end system when I first built it, and 1 gig of ram was alot for its time.. Anyway I was looking at this screen the first time it booted in Vista and all that I saw was 512 memory... so that I guess that was the problem.. :clap_2:

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR