Installing Aircraft Skins with ModMan?

Wild.Bill.Kelso

Sometimes when I install several Skins for 1 aircraft type, some of the skin pieces are in the wrong place in the Game. And In ModMan some of the items are yellow, not green.

I know each aircraft can only support a fixed number of skins (can't remember if it's 6, 8 or what). I am wondering if this may be because I have, for example, installed 2 Flipper skins, which can take up only one skin really in the game. Is this probably the problem?

If so, how can I tell with all the Skins, several are for one specific skin replacement, or if they are for different skins.

that is why i rarely install skins through modman, i only do to get the .bmp files. If you just get the .bmp files, you can name it to whatever order you want so your new favorite skin won't replace your old favorite skin. After you renamed it to your liking, covert it to cdds format, there's a tutorial around here somewhere, you can find it through the search function.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ok, I might look into doing that.

After looking at the .bmp filenames for the A10, it looks like there are 2.

a-10-okras-l5.bmp.dds

a-10-okras-r5.bmp.dds

So, does the number 5 in the filename indicate which skin it will replace. ie. the 5th skin? If so, at the very least, I can just make a note in the ModMan Name or Description, so I know what I am doing...

its been such a long time since i did this so i will try to remember the best i can. But just to sum it up, there are 2 files for one skin. The only difference is the R and the L within them. I think its ok that the A-10 doesn't have the number, you will find each place sorta differs. Like the Su-27 (IIRC) starts with the number 1, and that A-10 without the number can be assumed its #1. Another bad thing about installing skins through modman is that it usually just dumps the .bmp files into your temptexture folder, which hogs up a lot of fps. If you covert it to cdds, it will save quite a lot of fps so this is something you want to look into.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Here is a tutorial that I wrote several months ago http://www.lockonfiles.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1211&sid=b7efe5c44101b62c3bc7eda467f74610

And then Cosmonaut Made a great PDF Tutorial on CDDS and adding Skins to the new skin filers for the new F-15 CDDS Tutorial V2. The current A-10 skin files are fairly confusing with some skins sharing parts with others I.e. the last selection in the A-10 color selection mixes 3 different skin files that are used for other skin selection.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/a-10c-warthog-supplies

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/133818-deadmans-cockpit-base-plans/#comment-133824

CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.