appreture settings

Can someone explain to me what difference the appreture settings make. I have tried 64, 128, and 256 and I see no difference. I have an ATI x1600pro AGP, p4 3.2ghz HT and 2gb of crucial ram. Hope some one can explain the pros and cons of changing these settings. Cheers and Thanks.

AGP aperture is how much of memory you are allocating (I am not sure if its from RAM or VRAM) to AGP card. This is usefull only if you have much older video cards with low RAM. Today's cards with 256 or 512MB of RAM don't need this any more.

Set this AGP aperture to as low as possible. Try lowest value and if the machine doesn't boot after BIOS port increase it till it's alright. I remember my last machine with AGP port, I had set this to 16 or 32 (bellow 16 it wouldn't boot) and I think 64 is default.

No longer active in DCS...

AGP aperture is how much of memory you are allocating (I am not sure if its from RAM or VRAM) to AGP card. This is usefull only if you have much older video cards with low RAM. Today's cards with 256 or 512MB of RAM don't need this any more.

Set this AGP aperture to as low as possible. Try lowest value and if the machine doesn't boot after BIOS port increase it till it's alright. I remember my last machine with AGP port, I had set this to 16 or 32 (bellow 16 it wouldn't boot) and I think 64 is default.

Thanks. Ok I will try lower at 64 now.

• 2 weeks later...