Will the Hornet kill off the others??

jason_peters

Will be interesting to see if a modern multirole fast jet will mean a downtick in sales and development of other modules

I know I will only really have time to learn 1 complex module completely and extract all the value and with that the full satisfaction from it (despite owning most of the modules - lol)

However I can see the F18 dominating my time in the future and may impact my buying pattern

Or maybe the other modules all have their own charm hence it will just be an initial blip and then back to business as usual

Time will tell!!!

---------

System: i7-8700k @ 4.9GHz; Nvidia RTX 2080ti; 32GB (2 x 16) DDR4 @ 3333Mz Ram; ASUS ROG Strix z370-E; SSD Drive; Oculus Rift-S; Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog

Because the hornet seems to be able to do it all, short of VTOL and hover, I don't see how I'll ever have time to fly any thing else. Although I will make time to fly an apache, or cobra :D

But despite not flying other aircraft I'll still be purchasing them for my collection

Personally I will continue to fly and buy other aircraft as well, but I'm afraid as well, that the Hornet will have a negativ impact on diversity in DCS (especially in multiplayer), because of its jack of all trades character. :(

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

For sure it will be the best "bang for buck" module, that gives you the most capabilities at roughly the same price as other modules, so people looking to buy just one airplane will probably go with this one.

But quite often people who play simulators like a challenge, or aircraft from different eras, so I don't think it will affect other sales that much. Maybe the most similar airframes like A-10 and Harrier will see some drop, but in the long term Hornet should bring more people into DCS, and that's a very good thing. We all know that usually it does not end with buying just one module :)

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Even at 80$, Hornet has the best value of all DCS modules. Once it gets out of EA, it will be capable of doing more missions than other modules can do combined. You will be able to pay less for more, all packed into one airframe.

While it might not be ideal for everyone, I think most people will be able to appreciate this fact.

I've noticed that most "DCS people" I know, skipped Harrier/Viggen/M2K because they knew Hornet isn't far away.

In our community, Hornet will take the top spot because of it's versatility.

Right now Im saying, with the F-18 I dont need anything else, until the F-16 arrives. But I also know myself, that Im way too curious, and Ill grab the Tomcat and Phantom too, when they hit EA. Just cant help myself.

If I will look back though, and take the Viggen, Mirage and Harrier out of the hangar?

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

I guess that's true for me. Flight time is limited and the F/A-18 will replace the A-10C as my main DCS module. Until the Apache or Black Hawk come along...

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

From time to time i hop over to fly all the different modules. I enjoy all the different aircraft. Make missions, integrate audio files and/or military chatter. It keeps DCS interesting. :D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

The F18 is clearly going to be a great all rounder, however:

- some aircraft can do things that the F18 can’t (eg the viggen is probably a better anti-ship strike aircraft and you can’t land an F18 on a road

- regardless of outright ability we sometimes like to fly something different, eg the F5

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

F-18 will be fun to work up into as its capabilities expand (proper SEAD missions will rock) but my first love will always be the A-10C!

(And the Harrier is just unique enough to live in its own little corner of the hard drive as well)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

It's got great nosewheel turning, so not sure if reversing would add much. Harpoon when it comes is antiship and comparable. So Viggen is a little bit put out by the news.

BUT

Depending on the person, people like variation. I think we will see Hornet be flavour of the year for a while, but new shiny things attract (some) people. Remember it's not always about what a module can do, but what individuals enjoy doing. We've seen plenty of kills in F-5 and Mig21 on Blue flag. I've nailed a flanker in the complete dark in a 21, so it's not about taking the "best" but what people want to try out.

The F18 is clearly going to be a great all rounder, however:

- some aircraft can do things that the F18 can’t (eg the viggen is probably a better anti-ship strike aircraft and you can’t land an F18 on a road

- regardless of outright ability we sometimes like to fly something different, eg the F5

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

i am not seeing myself using a-10c and fc3 after hornet, tomcat and phantom are released but my huey and mi-8 have huge reputation in my hangar. even watching ai versions of these two make me happy.

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

There are also the DLC campaigns to consider. Some of the older modules have a great set of campaigns to fly. My favourite campaign was for the Sabre.

Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48K, Kempston joystick Interface, Alba Cassette Recorder, Quickshot II Turbo Joystick

It certainly won't kill off the others for me.

In DCS I mainly fly only the Spit for WWII and the KA-50 for other stuff. While I own most other modules I just have not devoted the time to truly learn them. If I do probably the Huey will be next to learn of the modules I currently have.

However the F-18C, oh yeah - this one I will grab by the horns and start learning it right away when the update does drop. So looking forward to some carrier ops. And really looking forward to doing it in VR.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

With current capabilities, the F/A-18 is an aerobatics plane at the moment. If someone is looking for a ground pounding plane, the F/A-18C still can't fulfill that role.

Current capabilities are equal to the M2K, with the exception of the GBU-12 series, which the M2K can't use on its own properly. And, the F/A-18C can land on carriers, which makes it even more useful then a M2K ;)

My two cents on the topic, I think people will fairly soon realize that being able to do 'a bit of everything' is not going to cut it. Depending on the scenario obviously, you can't just fully complete it with only Hornets. It might be able to kill of some air targets and then do some ground pounding, but it won't have that much of an impact on the overall mission progress.

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

Current capabilities are equal to the M2K, with the exception of the GBU-12 series, which the M2K can't use on its own properly. And, the F/A-18C can land on carriers, which makes it even more useful then a M2K ;)

My two cents on the topic, I think people will fairly soon realize that being able to do 'a bit of everything' is not going to cut it. Depending on the scenario obviously, you can't just fully complete it with only Hornets. It might be able to kill of some air targets and then do some ground pounding, but it won't have that much of an impact on the overall mission progress.

For me it's more about specific (historical) scenarios regarding what aircraft to fly and not about what is the best tool for the job. Otherwise there would be no reason at all to fly older and less capable aircraft like the MiG-21, F-5E or the F-86.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

For me it's more about specific (historical) scenarios regarding what aircraft to fly and not about what is the best tool for the job. Otherwise there would be no reason at all to fly older and less capable aircraft like the MiG-21, F-5E or the F-86.

Thats one way to look it, but I think people will choose the Hornet for everything now and realize it can do everything but not as well as a Hog can do A2G etc. I myself will also primarily fly the Hornet but will definately not allow for dust to settle on my other modules :)

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

Everyone has their own favorite...once in a while one may be tempted by the newest “hottie” that comes along, but at the end of the day you’ll still go to bed with the ol’ lady.

Even if she doesn’t have a high AOA and smells of JP-4 during flat spins...

Hornet will be the chief DCS product, yes, but flying only that one aircraft means missing out on a lot of good stuff.

My DCS modding videos:

Modules I own so far:

Black Shark 2, FC3, UH-1H, M-2000C, A-10C, MiG-21, Gazelle, Nevada map