A plea to the DCS community: (re-)presentation of women in DCS

There is no problem. If women want to join just welcome them. DCS is all about the machines, not about the antisocial behavior issues of western societies. Bringing that debate here is useless, counter productive because it creates more conflicts and makes women to flea instead of attract them. If they don't want to join because they just don't like it, please let the woman live peacefully and don't force to attract them.

In the military there is only one gender: soldier.

PS: citing ATC voices example is a pure joke considering the underdevelopment and current issues of ATC within DCS. Falcon4 had AI women pilots, but where were the women players then ?

Edited by Bogey Jammer

I'll buy :

МиГ-23МЛД & МЛА МиГ-27К МиГ-25 Mirage III F-4E any IJ plane 1950' Korea Dynamic campaign module

I see nothing wrong with there being more options, female pilot models aren't going to turn all your planes pink.

If I may say so, there is precedent. Those of us who are old enough and ugly enough to have been involved in the first iterations of stable multiplayer PvP in Flanker 1.x will be able to recall PapaDoc's Pink Flamingo.

One of the very first alternative skins for the Su-27 was indeed, bright pink ! What's more, was that very few could beat that pink bird....

(Sorry, being a Brit I have to get a double entendre in there somewhere...ooer Missus, nudge nudge wink wink, know what I mean?) :D

Pierre LeGrand, where are you now?!

+1 to female pilots

+1 to female voices

+1: Easy to use "Hi Everyone" or "Or All". I appreciate that people who start with "Hi Gents" may not be being sexist......it's easy to think that the forum users and players are all men...for some reason it's a default setting (and I'm female).

StandingCow is right.....female players aren't going to turn all your planes pink.....although when I first started reading this thread I did think of creating a pink Huey, pink jumpsuits, pink lipstick, pink helmets and pink boot laces (as a joke).....as making things pink seems to settle females down in real life why not here too....."ladies golf clubs....let's make them pink"......why oh why...

Hi Everyone.....happy flying.....oh...and a quick thanks to the people on the forums who are helpful.

Edited by sunwukong

although when I first started reading this thread I did think of creating a pink Huey [...]

Hahaha, that reminds me of one of my favorite TV shows growing up: "Riptide". For some obscure reason, these notoriously broke PIs had access to a CH-34 - colored all pink and called "Mimi".

If we ever get a CH-34 in DCS, it sooo needs the Mimi-skin! :)

Well I'm late to this topic, but for what it's worth I have the following to offer:

1) I'd like to think that the DCS community is somewhat more mature and certainly more welcoming than the rampant toxicity that's all too evident on most game forums. Personally I think that for the most part this is true of the DCS community.

2) We should be welcoming to anyone who wants to play DCS and contribute constructively to these forums and to the community in general.

3) Given how difficult it can be for female gamers to find a welcome in most gaming communities, I'd like to believe that the DCS community would go out of our way to be extra welcoming & demonstrate that we are, as I believe, generally a good and friendly bunch.

4) The 'pink planes' issue is a frankly somewhat infantile concern. As others have commented, the very first alternative skin for the Su-27 all the way back in Flanker 2.0 days was pink. And it was a very difficult opponent. Real world for a moment: there was a time when the Royal Navy, that bastion of traditionalism, seriously considered painting some of their warships pink. More evidence? In desert campaigns the SAS paint their landrovers a pink colour to fit in with sunrise & sunset colours. The SAS. They even call the pink landrovers "pinkies".

So, Elysian Angel, I'd consider you and every other female DCS pilot to be welcome members of the community here. Hopefully we can all be welcoming to each other :thumbup:

Edited by DarkFire

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

Some of these responses in this thread notwithstanding, all I want to know is what sparked the interest of any female DCS pilot in this hobby in the first place? After all, this is a very demanding hobby (time-, software- and hardware-wise), and needed to be fueled somehow initially.

For me, it was fueled by growning up near two US AFBs back in Germany, and I used to love to hang out to watch the F15s, F16s, and A10s do "their thing" (later also becoming friends with US AF personnel, allowing me to be up-and-close to those planes including cockpit tours). All that lead to this now undying hobby that I am so very passionate about.

That said, these are the stories I am most interested in hearing while talking to female DCS pilots here... what got you into this hobby?

(btw, my wife, even though she's into gaming as well, could care less about DCS...)

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

what got you into this hobby?

I'm not sure this question should get its own thread, like someone suggested earlier, so I'll just reply here:

For me, it's been a life-long field of interest that goes back longer than I can remember. I can't recall anything specific that sparked my 'interest' (obsession is a strong word but a simple "interest" doesn't cut it either, since I am someone who is interested in pretty much everything), but it was before the age of 10, that I know for sure.

I remember clips of F-117s on the evening news, covering Desert Storm, which caused me to spend special attention and draw me away from whatever had my focus a moment before. I was 9 years old when Kuwait was invaded. Obviously, I had watched "The Final Countdown" and "Top Gun" before that time. It wasn't a single event that triggered a "I-want-to-be-a-fighter-pilot" response, but it rather grew over time.

In my mid-teens, I built and painted model airplanes, and I had a quite large poster of a AH-64A on my bedroom wall, and several smaller ones of F/A-18s during carrier landings. I read every possible book about military aircraft I could find in the library, and copied the articles I found most interesting with a type-writer. I spent entire days behind that thing :smilewink:

I also played every possible combat flight sim I could find, back in the '90s: both fixed- and rotary wing.

It wasn't the application of said military hardware in conflict-situations that interested me, but rather the design and technologies behind them and how they came together in an aesthetically-pleasing construct called "F-14", or "F-15E", ...

Aside from my interest in aviation, I used to practice martial arts and I spent a lot of time outside, walking and cycling. The latter to a degree of me getting recommendations of pursuing a carreer as a professional athlete.

I strongly believe I would have been a good candidate for the Air Force Academy, if it wasn't for my various medical issues (by the age of 17 I had endured 6 knee operations - with another one to follow a few years later - and I had life-long back problems). Even without a carreer that exposed me to more than 1-1.5G, I ended up with severe nerve damage and an operation on my lower back that required more than 2 years of recovery, so maybe it wasn't that bad that I wasn't an Air Force pilot...

A former classmate of mine who also was interested in this field, became a good friend of mine and we made plans to join the Air Force Academy together. In the end, it was the realisation that I would never pass the physical check-ups because of my back, that sent me onto a more academic path in life.

After all, this is a very demanding hobby

As for the time and resources dedicated to DCS: I live alone and don't have children (also because of medical reasons). When it became clear my body could no longer handle my desire to hike and bike, I started feeding my wanderlust on 2 alternatives that are now the only 2 things that genuinely matter to me: DCS and my motorcycle (I own a BMW R1200GS).

Other difficulties than described above, that Life threw my way, made me unable to work (I do try but always relapse into disability), so I have lots of spare time :joystick:

I hope this answered your question adequately.

Edited by Elysian Angel
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

Can we have just one place to be, like here, where the femi-nazis and the snowflakes just shut up and be normal people and leave their agendas home.

• Thanks 1

i7-7700K, 32GB DDR4, 525GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080Ti 11GB, Liquid Cooling, Win 10, Warthog HOTAS, TPR Pedals, HP Reverb, Oculus Rift with Touch, Jetseat and bass shakers, PointCTRL, and Scale F-14B Cockpit

Can we have just one place to be, like here, where the femi-nazis and the snowflakes just shut up and be normal people and leave their agendas home.

Can we just have one place where guys aren't d-bags?

flogging_dead_horse_what.jpg

I could be wrong, but this thread has probably run its course

-edit

Then again, that ridiculous grass thread lasted twice as many pages, so we've got a ways we can go still

Edited by zhukov032186
  • Thanks 1

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

-edit

Then again, that ridiculous grass thread lasted twice as many pages, so we've got a ways we can go still

You are SO right!!!

Wags, KILL THIS THREAD PLEASE! So it can come back in a different sleazy form! lol

• Thanks 1

i7-7700K, 32GB DDR4, 525GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080Ti 11GB, Liquid Cooling, Win 10, Warthog HOTAS, TPR Pedals, HP Reverb, Oculus Rift with Touch, Jetseat and bass shakers, PointCTRL, and Scale F-14B Cockpit

I hope this answered your question adequately.

Absolutely. Very interesting read. I've also discovered a lot more parallels as well, even though I didn't mention any of those for wanting to be brief. Gulf War footage impacting me getting heavily into Falcon 3 comes to mind (actually, I went and bought a math co-processor back then for the advanced flight model). Many other sims over the years leading to DCS. ...and this is where we find ourselves here now.

So yes, thanks again for this elaborate response. :thumbup:

Edited by rrohde

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

I'd agree with you, I too think it indeed run it's course. It did so at the very first post. I can see how this "uninclusion" can be an issue for the OP. But in light of other issues with this sims impact of this particular one is neglible.

Instead of pleeding with community I would suggest to try and adop "It's not about me" attitude.

Beat regards

• Thanks 1

Anton.

My pit build thread .

Simple and cheap UFC project

I'd agree with you, I too think it indeed run it's course. It did so at the very first post. I can see how this "uninclusion" can be an issue for the OP. But in light of other issues with this sims impact of this particular one is neglible.

It never ceases to amaze me how a (supposed) member of the majority can tell, with quite some certainty, that a member of the minority has a non-issue (the above mentioned quote being the latest, but far from singular, example in this thread).

If it was a non-issue... would OP have started a thread?

I mean, you don't see the problem? Fine. It's just that telling someone "Your problem doesn't exist. It's only in your mind. Other problems are FAR more important than yours. Stop bothering the rest of us. Stop drawing attention away from the problems that matter to ME!" seems somewhat... "uninclusive" quote un-quote.

In other words, thanks for a perfect example of QED :D

It never ceases to amaze me how a (supposed) member of the majority can tell, with quite some certainty, that a member of the minority has a non-issue (the above mentioned quote being the latest, but far from singular, example in this thread).

If it was a non-issue... would OP have started a thread?

I mean, you don't see the problem? Fine. It's just that telling someone "Your problem doesn't exist. It's only in your mind. Other problems are FAR more important than yours. Stop bothering the rest of us. Stop drawing attention away from the problems that matter to ME!" seems somewhat... "uninclusive" quote un-quote.

In other words, thanks for a perfect example of QED :D

+1.....happy flying ALL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A plea to the DCS community: (re-)presentation of women in DCS

Yes..... the bugs in the game are the most important things for the devs to fix. The OP hasn’t said these r more important.

I’d rather be able to taxi a harrier on the carrier after landing the fecker n not sink through the graphics of the deck. It would be also nice not to feel refreshed when someone puts “hi ladies n gents”. That should be normal.....but obviously I should feel grateful.......happy flying all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by sunwukong

• 2 years later...

Honestly, having all female voices also doesn't change much, and I'm male, but I start to see problems when I see requests like the female driver's body with even hair!

I think these requests are sexist, that they have nothing to do with a flying enthusiast but have more to do with a kind of narcissistic procurement or just a boorish feminism.

If it were up to me this topic should be re-evaluated in its expressiveness.

It's amazing to think how many things this sim has to complete and what do you do? do you start arguing about the pilot's body?

• Thanks 1

attachment.php?attachmentid=136804

But of course, by all means, use a public forum to voice your opinion that another person's opinion doesn't matter. I'm sure that hasn't yet come up in the previous 170 posts and OP will turn away from her misguided ways now that we've heard such a compelling argument.

Plus, telling people how they have to have to weigh the priority of their requests in regards to other people's priorities towards the developer is a certain way to say that... your priorities are more important? Let me think for a second who comes out as narcissistic in this argument.

If it were up to me this topic should be re-evaluated in its expressiveness.

It's amazing to think how many things this sim has to complete and what do you do? do you start arguing about the pilot's body?

Different people have different priorities. As a man, it's no suprise you don't care about female representation in DCS. I don't care about the pilots body either (having it deactivated anyways), as I would also rather see other things fixed instead. I do acknowledge though, that this issue is more important to others and as it doesn't contradict any DCS principles (like putting AMRAAMs on Tomcats would), I don't see anything wrong with such a request.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

But of course, by all means, use a public forum to voice your opinion that another person's opinion doesn't matter. I'm sure that hasn't yet come up in the previous 170 posts and OP will turn away from her misguided ways now that we've heard such a compelling argument.

Plus, telling people how they have to have to weigh the priority of their requests in regards to other people's priorities towards the developer is a certain way to say that... your priorities are more important? Let me think for a second who comes out as narcissistic in this argument.

Thank you for such an elegant response to a most intolerant post, it gave me a good laugh :thumbup:

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB