A plea to the DCS community: (re-)presentation of women in DCS

• ED Team
Honestly, having all female voices also doesn't change much, and I'm male, but I start to see problems when I see requests like the female driver's body with even hair!

I think these requests are sexist, that they have nothing to do with a flying enthusiast but have more to do with a kind of narcissistic procurement or just a boorish feminism.

If it were up to me this topic should be re-evaluated in its expressiveness.

It's amazing to think how many things this sim has to complete and what do you do? do you start arguing about the pilot's body?

It's great that you felt so strongly about this to bring back a 2-year-old thread, but share your opinion without insulting others' opinions, it is possible. Please try. Thanks.

• Like 1

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Honestly, having all female voices also doesn't change much, and I'm male, but I start to see problems when I see requests like the female driver's body with even hair!

I think these requests are sexist, that they have nothing to do with a flying enthusiast but have more to do with a kind of narcissistic procurement or just a boorish feminism.

If it were up to me this topic should be re-evaluated in its expressiveness.

It's amazing to think how many things this sim has to complete and what do you do? do you start arguing about the pilot's body?

You necroed 2 threads in the same day so you could whinge about people wanting representation in the game ?

Interesting priorities indeed.

It's long past time E.D. should have done this

- It's not difficult, it's not even PC or a sign of being a 'SJW', it just reflects real life...

Cheers.

You necroed 2 threads in the same day so you could whinge about people wanting representation in the game ?

Interesting priorities indeed.

It's long past time E.D. should have done this

- It's not difficult, it's not even PC or a sign of being a 'SJW', it just reflects real life...

THIS

I present exhibit A (filmed in 2006):

Oooh thanks for sharing: I hadn't seen that one yet :thumbup: /happydance

• Like 1
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

THIS

I present exhibit A (filmed in 2006):

Hey, that was worth the necro, no? What a great video.

But to his point (the guy that necro'ed this thread) body representation, male or female should be low on the priority list. In the words of Shania, bodies in DCS? "that don't impress me much"

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Hey, that was worth the necro, no? What a great video.

But to his point (the guy that necro'ed this thread) body representation, male or female should be low on the priority list. In the words of Shania, bodies in DCS? "that don't impress me much"

What, proving that men don't have a monopoly on crappy music videos?

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

:pilotfly:

Sure a choice of male or female pilot ? Do you play DCS ? your focus seems to be elsewhere.

While I agree its kind of a buzz kill... especially all that reading and inferring.

Since I cannot see you i will take your word for it that you are female. Should I ?

This ^ isn't in any way addressing the issue, it's just casting shade on the OP.

The issue hasn't changed across all the 2.5 years since this thread (,or all the other threads on the subject) was started.

I think E.D. could probably get the voices for free if they asked for volunteers, and it would be a day's work for E.D. to set up female voices for their own aircraft (Change the code from pick between Russian / NATO to pick from Russian male, Russian female, NATO male, NATO female, make 2 duplicate folders with the voices, and and batch copy the relevant files.)

Other developers could then either follow suit, or sit with the status quo - have the entry.lua define if there are 2 or 4 sets of voices.

Why not ?

It's less work than MP multi-crew, and there are probably an order of magnitude more women playing than MP players that would regularly use multi-crew.

Seriously - leaving aside not wanting to give in to liberals, (& a fear of girl germs) what other serious argument against it has been raised ?

Cheers.

This ^ isn't in any way addressing the issue, it's just casting shade on the OP.

The issue hasn't changed across all the 2.5 years since this thread (,or all the other threads on the subject) was started.

I think E.D. could probably get the voices for free if they asked for volunteers, and it would be a day's work for E.D. to set up female voices for their own aircraft (Change the code from pick between Russian / NATO to pick from Russian male, Russian female, NATO male, NATO female, make 2 duplicate folders with the voices, and and batch copy the relevant files.)

Other developers could then either follow suit, or sit with the status quo - have the entry.lua define if there are 2 or 4 sets of voices.

Why not ?

It's less work than MP multi-crew, and there are probably an order of magnitude more women playing than MP players that would regularly use multi-crew.

Seriously - leaving aside not wanting to give in to liberals, (& a fear of girl germs) what other serious argument against it has been raised ?

Could care less about the politics of it. The argument against would be:

0) Improve VR performance

0.1) Bring Vulkan to the beta stage

0.2) New texture update for Huey

1) Huey with MP

2) Cobra

3) Making sure Kiowa works

4) Improve F16

5) Improve F18

6) make sure Normandy map creators follow through on using new tech to update the maps.

I understand that representation is important. So I'm not dismissing the ask. But I am dismissing the priority of it. I would say the same thing to someone who demands the correct representation of stars at night time. It's all a matter of priorities.

Edited by hansangb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

This is a flight simulator not 'The Sims 4'. I couldn't care less about what the pilot looks like, when flying in the cockpit view.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

Could care less about the politics of it. The argument against would be:

0) Improve VR performance

0.1) Bring Vulkan to the beta stage

0.2) New texture update for Huey

1) Huey with MP

2) Cobra

3) Making sure Kiowa works

4) Improve F16

5) Improve F18

6) make sure Normandy map creators follow through on using new tech to update the maps.

I understand that representation is important. So I'm not dismissing the ask. But I am dismissing the priority of it. I would say the same thing to someone who demands the correct representation of stars at night time. It's all a matter of priorities.

No one has asked for it to be high priority, including OP

• Like 1

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

• 1 year later...

Right now I'd love to see a more diverse range of voice acting for communications in DCS; it feels very 'attack of the clones' and it should absolutely include female voices.

Sticking with English localisation for now:

• There's only 1 player pilot voice. Having just the one is bad enough, but worse (and something that's personally immersion breaking for me) is that his voice changes depending on what you're asking for; it's different when asking for ground air supply, wheel chocks and when asking to the run the starter. The worst one though is that it's drastically different when talking to aircraft carriers when on approach and landing (at least with the supercarrier module), not only that but to me the voice sounds similar to the tower/airboss voice just a lot deeper, almost as if he's voiced by the same actor speaking through a voice modulator.
  • There's only 1 ATC voice
  • There's only 1 AEW&C aircraft/EWR voice
  • There's only 1 AAR tanker voice
  • There's only 1 JTAC voice
  • There's 4(?) pilot voices for things like wingmen (there might be some more for different countries).
  • There's 1 additional AI pilot voice for when things like tankers and AAR aircraft are passing waypoints or is RTB.
  • For the supercarrier, there's only 1 tower/airboss voice, 1 marshall voice (which is female) and 1 LSO voice.

Adding a more diverse range of voice acting can only enhance the experience; it will provide for greater immersion for AI communications (mitigating the 'attack of the clones' vibe I for one get now), and it should absolutely include female voices.

Just for reference, the other, F-16 orientated sim, has 10 pilot voices that can be selected by the player, 2 of which are female.

When it comes to 3D pilot models however, I'm not sure that having a female one would be very fruitful, as I think this sort of thing would be harder to notice in a lot of cases unless you're specifcially looking for it (with obvious exceptions of course), and personally, I think there are bigger fish to fry here (such as all of the outdated ones long overdue an upgrade to match current standards).

I'm not opposed to it by any means (and I'd probably be hard pressed to tell), and if female pilot models are introduced, that's absolutely fine; I just think that as it currently stands the effort is better spent elsewhere, and I'd rather the outdated aircraft, weapons, ground units and ships (in that order) take priority.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

On 9/29/2020 at 2:01 PM, norbot said:

This is a flight simulator not 'The Sims 4'. I couldn't care less about what the pilot looks like, when flying in the cockpit view.

True dat, but I'd still like a Black Lab as co-pilot in my Mosquito. Take the seat out and put in a small bed.

Really. 

• Like 1

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

• ED Team

Hi all, 

please read the rules before posting. 

Social, cultural and political discussion is not welcome here, we have had lots of feedback in this thread already and it has also been necroed from two years ago. 

I think we are done for now. 

thanks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2