Carrier landing pattern similarities

TomCatMucDe

Hello,

Now that we soon will have our hands on the Hornet and we will train on the carrier landing pattern as per Wags videos.

My question, are the pattern the same or similar with the Tomcat?

Given it’s a different airframe, surely the approach speeds and probably glide slopes are different. What should they be?

Thanks !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Overall trajectory and glideslope angle is exactly the same (changing glideslope angle takes a huge amount of time, probably up to an hour or two). Main differences is plane-specific features like wing sweep or direct lift control. Even in E-2 you'll be using the same approach.

Here are pictures from F-14 and F-18 manuals:

94kT7vt.png

LEEw7T6.png

It's worth noting that the Tomcat, simply due to lack of FBW, is likely more of a Pilot's "handful" as well. Things get very.. sway-y at low speeds too :)

Stick centering by Bungie Cords tends to make things a might "mushier"

I've read where excessive PIOs on final was referred to as "Killing snakes in the cockpit"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

Whats with the autothrottle on "if desired"? I thought throttle management was key on carrier landings?

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

It's worth noting that the Tomcat, simply due to lack of FBW, is likely more of a Pilot's "handful" as well. Things get very.. sway-y at low speeds too :)

Is that not why some pilots called it the turkey, because it had such massive surfaces that large lift forces and small gusts of wind having large effects made it so hard to get down on the carrier?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Groundpounder extraordinaire

SPECS: i7-4790K, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 16 GB RAM, MSI GTX 980ti, Thrustmaster WARTHOG HOTAS, Saitek Pro Combat Rudder pedals, TrackIR 5

Is that not why some pilots called it the turkey, because it had such massive surfaces that large lift forces and small gusts of wind having large effects made it so hard to get down on the carrier?

Turkey i Believe mostly refers to the pre carrier launch flightcontrols check when Everything is flapping around like a turkey.

Edited by addde

No, what Cobra means is an instabiity on the longitudinal axis coupled with a terrible adverse yaw. It's really hard not to overcompensate and end up in a situation like Cougar's approach in Top Gun.

I believe they simply called it turkey because it was so darn big compared to everything else. Plus the big wings spread out, spoilers flapping, two legs hanging down spread wide...

TurkeyWings_DD22281.jpg 33331-F-14D-Trap-TRT.jpg